Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 17:44   #1

Repair Cyclone (Capri) 13 mast

I recently snapped my mast in half right above where the forestay attaches. The mast is for an old Cyclone (sometimes called Capri) 13. Its a small boat that I only take out on local lakes with the kids etc. Nothing extreme.

This is my first foray into repairing a mast and from reading around this form I get that the generally recommended way to repair a mast is to sleeve it and rivet the sleeve in place.
The break is actually really clean. It should be easy to put back together if I can find the parts.

How do I get/make the sleeve?
This is an old mast and I can't even find a replacement mast much less a sleeve to repair it. I did find someone local who happens to have the same mast but it is severely bent. He is willing to sell it to me for $20. Would it make sense to cut a section of the bent mast to make a sleeve? I would need to cut it lengthwise or something in order for it to fit inside the existing mast.

Would it make sense to try and straighten the bent mast and just use it until it breaks?

Any other suggestions for repair etc? I got the boat a few years back for $500 so if the repairs start to cost near that much I'll just look into getting another boat at that point.

Info:

Mast cross section outer dimensions

Elliptical dimensions: 3" x 1.8"
Aluminum thickness: 1/10th inch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_184122.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	128884  
nvcook42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:13   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Repair Cyclone (Capri) 13 mast

How severe is 'severe'? Typically the answer around here is 'try the simplest first', so barring a kink in the bent mast. I'd go with trying to straighten it...it's only 20 bucks, if you can't straighten it, you can out a piece out to repair the broken one...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capri, mast