Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 15:49   #1

Repainting Hull

I am just interested in sanding and painting the area of the hull below the white paint in the picture I attached.. I have painted homes before so hopefully I can handle it. Just trying to paint the area that is below the water line.

Whats necessary for this job? What kind of sand paper, What kind of paint would you suggest, any and all suggestions to make this a easy process. Best bang for your buck. I have 3 free weekends and would like to get it done asap.

Boats 28 ft., 4' draft. 1975, fiberglass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	25892  
jmanboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30   #2

Re: Repainting Hull

If the bottom is chipping, some paint off in small patches, but there is no other indication of problems - blistering for example - it's not hard to do.

I would get a Tyvek suit, safety glasses and a mask to protect you from the falling debris that will come from your hull. Also buy one ordinary kitchen duty paint roller handle, and an ordinary kitchen enamel nap roller, perhaps an extension pole to avoid straining your back, a paint tray, stirers and a cheap brush for those hard to reach areas. A tarp to lay under the boat to catch the dust and debris. Good quality masking tape to mask off the water line so you don't get paint on the white hull. As far as paint is concerned, go to your local West Marine ("WM") or similar chandelry, and ask them about the paint they currently have on special. We just bought two gallons of CPP from WM which comes with a $40 rebate coupon. I have also used the WM brand for years with good results. The size of your hull should require no more than 1 gallon. We use ablative paint which sluffs off revealing fresher stuff underneath to prevent grass, etc. from attaching. Others use an epoxy anti-fouling paint. Depending on where you are, that may not be the best choice. Read up on the types in the West Marine advisory in their cataloge. West marine can at least tell you what "most people" use in your area, or what they recommend for your type of vessel depending on how you use it.

First mask off the water line. Then scrape the hull of the obviously loose stuff. Then sand the hull using a fairly aggressive paper 60 -100 grit is what I have used to get the loose stuff off and to key the bottom for what you are going to put on. I use an orbital sander to do this job, with a vacuum attachment to avoid too much dust. Then paint just as you would at home.

2-3 hours to scrape and sand the hull. Another one hour to paint with a roller and brush, and you should be done. If you want, depending on what they tell you at WM, and your location and the paint selected, repeat the process. After it has dried, have the marina move your jackstands so you can get the parts you were unable to get to under the stands. If not, get them right before they splash her while she is in the hoist.

It's not rocket science, and probably easier than painting a room at home.
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote