Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 07:22   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42
Question Repacking rudder shaft stuffing box

On our Hallberg Rassy 42 the rudder shaft is sealed with a conventional stuffing box. The clearance between the shaft and the box is 10 mm. However the depth of the box is only 30 mm so with 3 layers of 10 mm packing it is not possible to screw the box down. If I use 2 layers the box bottoms out against the lock nut before tightening down on the packing even if the lock nut is backed right off. If I use 8 mm packing will it expand enough to fill the gap and provide a good seal? Or would using 2 layers of 10 mm and one of 8 mm work? If so which layer should be the 8 mm? Any advice much appreciated.

Tags
rudder

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: