Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2011, 08:11   #1

Boat: Chung Wa, Magellan, 36', White Swan II
Renewing Non-Skid (Old Sand Type)

Anyone renewed non-skid (old sand type) with interlux additive? How to prep? I'm thinking soap and a stiff brush followed by pressure wash. Then roll on paint and non-skid interlux additive either pre-mixed, or broadcast additive onto wet paint.
any ideas or previous experiences?
thanks in advance
ps doing this while anchoring out, what fun!!
divicolouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:30   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Renewing Non-Skid (Old Sand Type)

We finally got tired of dealing with our decks with the sand and paint and the fact that when wet they were really not very non skid. Here is what we did and it went right over the existing non skid paint. Looks great, holds up really well and is truly non skid.
Voyages of Sea Trek: Transforming The Non Skid Decks
Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 15:10   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

As Chuck said or you can do it the way you describe. I use builder's sand (finer than most). First a coat of wet paint, sprinkle the builder's sand on, let the paint dry. Once the paint is dry brush the excess sand off and put a thin coat of paint over the top. We used to do it the same way in the Navy on steel decks.

As with any paint job, preparation is the key and cleaning what you want to re non-skid is very important. Water and bleach with a brush and then freshwater washdown. Tape everything you don't want non-skid on. Then, go for it.

kind regards,
Old 25-07-2011, 15:35   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I assume that by interlux additive you are referring to griptex? If so you are on the right track. Sand inevitably fails because it is only encapsulated in paint. Griptex is very porous on a microscopic level and actually absorbs the paint, making it last much longer. I like to avoid the hassle of painting with a flattening agent, which settles out and needs constant stirring to give even flattening. If you look on the can of flattening agent you will notice it says its for spray app only, not recommended for brush or roller. I also like to avoid the sprinkle and paint over technique, as its very difficult to get perfectly even pattern of skid even when using a flour sifter from height. The answer for me is griptex fine mixed with griptex medium, then added at the desired density to gelcoat. I then spray it with surface seal through a two quart pressure pot with a PB69 tip. This not only gives a perfect skid pattern, but is infinitely more durable than any paint and nice and flat. Coarse does not spray well and is too aggressive imo anyway. Regular backflushing is required while spraying. Make sure you sand off any previous skid down to gelcoat first. Do it this way and it will last a lifetime, and be easier to clean.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 15:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We finally got tired of dealing with our decks with the sand and paint and the fact that when wet they were really not very non skid. Here is what we did and it went right over the existing non skid paint. Looks great, holds up really well and is truly non skid.
Voyages of Sea Trek: Transforming The Non Skid Decks
Chuck
Chuck I like the sound of this coating so far I can not really see the texture in the picture How would you describe it? I have seen the kiwi grip and did not like the look
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 15:54   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

I also use clean builders sand and spead it wit a large salt shaker with the holes drilled out to the consistency I like...

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 15:57   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
I also use clean builders sand and spead it wit a large salt shaker with the holes drilled out to the consistency I like...
Clever!
Old 25-07-2011, 15:58   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
As Chuck said or you can do it the way you describe. I use builder's sand (finer than most). First a coat of wet paint, sprinkle the builder's sand on, let the paint dry. Once the paint is dry brush the excess sand off and put a thin coat of paint over the top. We used to do it the same way in the Navy on steel decks.

As with any paint job, preparation is the key and cleaning what you want to re non-skid is very important. Water and bleach with a brush and then freshwater washdown. Tape everything you don't want non-skid on. Then, go for it.

kind regards,
John, do you use a primer for the first coat?
Old 25-07-2011, 16:04   #9

Boat: Norseman 447
pirate Re: Renewing Non-Skid (Old Sand Type)

There are many (truck bedliner) type materials on the market. Alaphatic Urethane works well. 5 yrs ago I covered our teak decks with Grizzly Grip ($67 a/gal.). Comes premixed with crushed rubber granules. Definatly non-skid! It held up well cruising full time, but the hot PNG weather took its toll. Cracks from the deck expanding. I'm currently on our second coat of Speedliner ($180 a/gal.! It comes from Texas!) here in OZ. It comes with the rubber separate, and as the old deck was rough, I'm not putting in the rubber. You can either mix it in or sprinkle on first wet coat. I'll let you know how it is in a couple days. Greg

Heading to Thailand to remove old deck and do it right!
Greg4cocokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 16:04   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

kind regards,
I wouldn't just wash old skid and then coat over it without abrading it in some way first to provide some tooth. I like to scrub it with a fine wire brush and then with a scotch brite pad, particularly around the tape edges.
Old 25-07-2011, 16:26   #11

Using sand in paint... Ask someone who's had had to remove that application before you use it. Just how do you remove sand with sand paper? Not very easily!
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12   #12

Boat: Downeaster 45'

We're redoing the deck of our downeaster 45', and I'm looking for alternative ways for removing the old nonskid. I've been using a heat gun and scraper and cleaning off the old stuff- I wouldn't do it since the old paint is not popping up or anything, but the hard use and abuse this boat has been through has left gouges and dings all over the paint. I can't just put a new coat over, since all those torn up areas will be on show. The problem I'm facing is how to remove all the nonskid without breaking my back using a heat gun and scraper- I'm only 18 but after a day of scraping I feel like an old woman! I'm going to try sanding the old stuff off, maybe with a belt sander, or my 6'' sander. Since we're on a low budget I'm going to go the easy route of rolling on paint and sprinkling sand. We're leaving for the south in about 2 months, so I guess I'll just try my best and get this done
BearfootBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearfootBandit View Post
We're redoing the deck of our downeaster 45', and I'm looking for alternative ways for removing the old nonskid. I've been using a heat gun and scraper and cleaning off the old stuff- I wouldn't do it since the old paint is not popping up or anything, but the hard use and abuse this boat has been through has left gouges and dings all over the paint. I can't just put a new coat over, since all those torn up areas will be on show. The problem I'm facing is how to remove all the nonskid without breaking my back using a heat gun and scraper- I'm only 18 but after a day of scraping I feel like an old woman! I'm going to try sanding the old stuff off, maybe with a belt sander, or my 6'' sander. Since we're on a low budget I'm going to go the easy route of rolling on paint and sprinkling sand. We're leaving for the south in about 2 months, so I guess I'll just try my best and get this done
Use an 8" soft pad on a sander/buffer with 36 or 60 grit discs, depending on substrate. Triple tape the edges and don't get too close with the soft pad. Finish tape edges and corners with a 5" random orbit and a detail sander. It's usually fastest if you use a really coarse grit (36) and then prime heavily to fill the grit profile. I often prime with straight gelcoat, it works great as a "high build" and doesn't have any of the problems of a true hi build primer.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post

I like an old flour sifter for this....
Old 03-09-2012, 19:17   #15

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Maybe you could use a water blaster with a sand feed attachment to lightly key your paint.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote