Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 13:02   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Removing the old name

What's the best way to remove a boat name painted on the hull? I don't want to hurt the gelcoat.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:33   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Removing the old name

If it's painted on, use a very light rubbing compound. If it's a sticker, use a hair drier to heat and gently peel off.
Old 02-03-2017, 13:41   #3

Boat: Grand Banks Eastbay 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
What's the best way to remove a boat name painted on the hull? I don't want to hurt the gelcoat.

I have had good luck using a spray bottle of a marine paint stripper to loosen the paint, then scrap off with a plastic scrapper plus scrub off with a 3M pad.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:53   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have used lacquer thinner to remove the painted-on name. Or, use paint stripper on it, one of the gels you smear on, let set, and rinse off. Repeat till done.

The problem with using sand paper or rubbing compound on gelcoat is that it is porous, and when you sand the side or top off the bubble, there is a tiny cavity left behind, which, forever after, will be a dirt trap. What eventually happens then, is that the boat doesn't stay looking smart very long after being waxed, and you wind up painting the gelcoat, but paint is fragile, subject to chipping, and dings. Mo' bettah, imo, to never use any abrasive whatsoever on gelcoat.

However, if it is old, and already abused, just try different ways of caring for the surface. We had good results using PolyGlo, and I've heard TSRW also works well for "gelcoat renewal". If it was pitted when the paint went on, there may be paint left in the pores of the gelcoat, and it will have to be removed somehow. I'd still go with the stripper and rinse method first. The possibility of pits is the problem.

Ann
Old 02-03-2017, 13:54   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Oven cleaner.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Oxalic acid will do the job and not hurt the gel coat. And it is EPA friendly for on water use.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10   #7

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau 36.2

I'll second using oven cleaner.

I used Easy-Off. If it yellows the gelcoat, just wipe with white vinegar. The yellow disappears.
Geitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:15   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Just be certain that it is not a painted hull. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:59   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The problem with using sand paper or rubbing compound on gelcoat is that it is porous, and when you sand the side or top off the bubble, there is a tiny cavity left behind, which, forever after, will be a dirt trap. What eventually happens then, is that the boat doesn't stay looking smart very long after being waxed, and you wind up painting the gelcoat, but paint is fragile, subject to chipping, and dings. Mo' bettah, imo, to never use any abrasive whatsoever on gelcoat.
That may be true in the case of a brand new boat, but any gelcoat is going to require polishing, and eventually compounding if maintenance has lapsed, to be kept in good repair. Polishing, compounding, and wet sanding are all degrees of variation in removing material, which is part of maintaining gelcoat over it's lifetime. Keeping it shiny helps to reflect UV and moisture penetration, and shiny is polished then waxed.

To the OP, you want to remove the name without impacting the gelcoat, if possible, and chemical means is the way to go. Definitely don't use sandpaper, and using compound would take forever, depending on the thickness of the paint.

Compounding may be required as a final step, however, since the gelcoat everywhere but where the name was may have faded over time. If there is a "shadow" of the old name left when the paint is removed, you'll have to compound the area around it (i.e. the transom, and perhaps the whole boat, depending on where the name is and how bad the shadow is) to get rid of it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:02   #10

When you have the name off, if it's been on awhile you'll be left with a shadow of the name because the gelcoat is like new under the old letters and all around it has uv'd. Try to put your new name in a similar size right over where the old name was and while you can see it most people won't.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
I have had good luck using a spray bottle of a marine paint stripper to loosen the paint, then scrap off with a plastic scrapper plus scrub off with a 3M pad.
I've always thought that using a product intended for the purpose is the best plan so using marine paint stripper to remove paint from a boat seems like a good idea to me.

I wouldn't use paint stripper to clean an oven and I wouldn't use oven cleaner to remove paint.

One thing to keep in mind though. Whatever you use, the painted name was protecting the gelcoat from exposure to weather and sunlight. Once you remove the paint, there will still be a "ghost" where the paint was. You won't be able to compound it away, it is new gelcoat, the rest of the boat is aged. To make the "ghost" go away, you have to compound and wax the rest of the area to bring it back to new condition.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:40   #12

I like the idea of using chemical removers and then compound the hull to bring back the luster. I have never done this on gelcoat, but on my car the compound included the polish in one application. Is this a one-step process? Compound and then polish? Or is the polish part of the compound?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:40   #13

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Dunno if this is the best way, but EasyOff extra strength worked a treat. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, and then rub with one of those green kitchen pads to take off the paint. Most of the paint on Above The Fold came off easily, some needed extra rubbing.

OTOH, the once-painted areas will still have a shadow of the old paint job. You'll need to compound and polish the hull.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:57   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I like the idea of using chemical removers and then compound the hull to bring back the luster. I have never done this on gelcoat, but on my car the compound included the polish in one application. Is this a one-step process? Compound and then polish? Or is the polish part of the compound?
"Polish" and "compound" are essentially the same thing; abrasives. Polish is much finer grit and is what puts a shine on a surface. Compound formulations are generally for use on more deteriorated surfaces, like lightly chalked gelcoat or paint. Wax, not an abrasive, is pretty much a sealer and protectant, although it can give the illusion of a a shine when it is first put on.

In general, the best approach is to use the least aggressive abrasive necessary. Start with polish, if that does not improve the surface when used as specified, move to the next most aggressive grit, etc.

Most "polish and wax"products are virtually useless, doing neither job very well. They appear to work on your car (but with less impressive and long lasting results that separate polish and waxing with dedicated products) because they are essentially just a cleaner and wax and your paint is probably in good shape to begin with.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:52   #15

After a closer inspection, it looks like the name is custom vinyl lettering. So, I'm assuming I can remove them using a hair dryer and a plastic scraper?