Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 09:35   #16

Boat: Union 36 47'6"OA
Re: Removing teak and applying fiberglass

I have a Union 36 that had teak decks. While preparing her for world cruising, I noticed the foredeck was spongy. Removing the teak decks was the easy part - my part. Exploratory holes revealed the core was rotted. I had the top layer of fiberglass and the core removed and redone professionally. They used structural foam as a core material (no more water intrusion problems) and extra fiberglass on the top layer (structurally reinforcing all the deck fastenings and opening - like the anchor hawsers). Expense was close to $20k in Southern Cal. Work was excellent and it's added a lot of structural integrity to the boat's deck. If the core isn't dealt with the fix is cosmetic and a spongy redecked teak may look good, but won't outlast the structural issues the rotted core brings with time. That's my 2 cents worth.
Plusmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 10:02   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum Plusmed
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:46   #18

I had worn teak on my 35 foot yacht and ripped it up. As others have mentioned I used a bar to just rip the teak up and then removed the 1500 odd screws. I filled the holes and placed a fibre glass skin over the top. the teak was over fibre glass so no ply to worry about. Removing every fitting and putting them into individual bags and boxes with labels and bolts saved a lot of time and made it easier to replace.

I had friends help with ripping up the teak and removing the black sealant under the wood. All up this part took about 3 days of hard work.

I paid a shipwright to lay two layers of glass as I considered it to be structural, and to placate my insurance company. I filled and faired the deck, total cost was about $2000 Australian dollars. I guess actual working time to be roughly 10 days but I had to spread it out over 6 months. I do live two hours from the boat so that was a constraint.

it took several months due to ill health and terrible weather, but the result is great.
Ard Righ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 16:09   #19
Marine Service Provider

If this is going to be a DIY job, don't try to get a factory finish, but get the glass as smooth and fair as you can and then use a sheet non-slip as the final finish.
Good luck
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 16:15   #20

You may find this informative if the deck core is compromised.
Pearson Triton #381 Glissando | Deck Recore Project OFF

Good luck.
Old 28-11-2016, 11:24   #21

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
So how difficult is removing teak decking and applying fiberglass? I'm looking at a Pearson Triton that needs all the teak removed...... How realistic is this project. For the record I'm overly skilled at boat work just have not tackled this one yet.

If you have done this could you please give me a very brief outline of the process?

I am currently in the middle of this same project. I agree with earlier posts, the hard part is getting the old teak up and removing the glue.
Here is what I learned:

If you use a flat style pry bar and a claw hammer you can start at one end of a teak plank. hammer the hook of the pry bar into the end lift and then use the claw on the hammer to hold the end of the board up while you walk the pry bar down the plank. You keep doing this until you get that plank up and start on the next. This was faster then breaking planks off in small pieces. We then used Visegrips to remove the screws. This went quick and only required two friends and a case of beer.

We then drilled out all the holes with a 3/8 drill with a stop set to reach the bottom of the core. The core is damp and the shavings are clean healthy balsa so I will leave it open to dry. (the boats is well covered)

we then tried a lot of different techniques to remove the glue: Acetone worked but slow, messy and gave bad headaches, wire wheel in a drill worked but to slow. finally, I used a Dewalt variable speed disc sander with 40grit disc and turned it slow for control and it removed 95% with little effort.

I will go back and use a bent nail to open up each hole and remove more of the core. Then after I am satisfied that the core is completely dry, I will fill the holes with a caulk tube filled with epoxy mixed with cabosil and micro fibers.

Next I will sand, fair,paint and apply roll on none skid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	137092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3544.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	137093  

jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:40   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
So how difficult is removing teak decking and applying fiberglass? I'm looking at a Pearson Triton that needs all the teak removed...... How realistic is this project. For the record I'm overly skilled at boat work just have not tackled this one yet.

If you have done this could you please give me a very brief outline of the process?
We replaced the teak deck on our Liberty 458 with Ameriteak. I dont like fiberglass or awlgrip for the deck. Looks horrible and is nowhere near as non slip as the new pvc based teak replacements.

Removal about a month. 3 or 4 hour days max. Plastic prybars to lever up the teak. Screw removed after. It's hard on kness and hands. 1300 screws removed and filled with gluvit. All gelcoat sanded and sealed with gluvit. We had no deck leaks which would cost and take much longer.

We had the US installer (ameriteak)install the dek king product. One man show struggling with family health issues and working remote. Took him 6 weeks and some areas need repair due to gaps.

Curves need to be laid 2in strip at a time.

Cost about $20k so would need a good value boat to start with.

Love the end result. Except for the crap batch of 3M 4200 around our prisms. It failed after 3 mths in the california sun, went gooey and spread over the deck. Now get to remove it and clean up next summer. Thanks 3M for crap quality control.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 13:19   #23

Boat: Sigma 41

I sailed on a Triton with a bunch of other Tritons on SF bay and dont recall seeing any teak decks. Sounds like a PO installed them so get rid of them and put down non skid so you have the money for other upgrades.
They are great sailing boats so go for it!
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 13:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneve View Post
I sailed on a Triton with a bunch of other Tritons on SF bay and dont recall seeing any teak decks. Sounds like a PO installed them so get rid of them and put down non skid so you have the money for other upgrades.
They are great sailing boats so go for it!
I was wondering about that earlier, don't recall seeing one with teak decks.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 00:23   #25

Thanks for all the info about removing teak decking. I passed on the Triton. What a nightmare.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, teak