Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 06:56   #1

Boat: cal 40
removing painted name on transom

Dear all,

We finally received the re-documentation papers from the uscg. We changed the name of the boat due to conditions of the purchase aggrement. I don't want to get into the superstitions of renaming, I am familiar with that.

This is a painted on name on a awl-craft flag blue painted hull, mirror finish. I spent most of the week wet sanding (1500,2000grit) and power buffing with a 3m light compound. I have brought back the mirror finish. Of course there is still a shadow of the old name if you look very close, in the right light. It is very inconspicuous, if you where walking down the dock, you would not notice the shadow of the old name.

My question is- should I continue to buff with light compound? I don't want to burn thru the flag blue awl-craft. Will the shadow marks of the eventually fade away? Any suggestions on other compounds. I am using 3m finesse-it. Should I just get the transom repainted?
Loquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:18   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: removing painted name on transom

I assume you mean "Awl-Grip" paint and not "awl-craft". Depending upon how the actual Awl-Grip paint was done you don't want to sand too deep into it unless you want to have that area re-painted at great expense. Awl-Grip paint has a chemistry that migrates the pigment to the bottom of the paint layer and migrates the "clear" to the top. This is what gives it the luxurious deep finish. Sanding through the upper clear layer will expose the pigment to oxidation and UV and cause it to "bleach" or change color from the rest of the hull's paint job.
- - Normally the boat names these days are all "vinyl" graphics/lettering that is "wet" applied to the boat. Removing is not difficult but as with anything over time the area "underneath" the name/graphics has been shielded from the environment and will retain a shadow or color difference from the paint that has been exposed.
- - If the name/graphics were actually painted on top of the Awl-Grip then you have a problem as you don't know what paint was used. However, you can visit a local boat name painter and ask them the best way to get the paint off with minimal damage to the underlying paint job.
- - But the key is to plan a new name/graphic that will overlap and hide where the old name/graphic was located. The vinyl lettering/graphics are good for this as you can apply a whole rectangular "sheet" over the area.
- - If you have already sanded into the Awl-Grip, you will most probably experience a significant color change in that area over time as it oxidizes. Again planning a name/graphic that covers the whole area is the least expensive way of "recovering." Other-wise repainting is the only other option.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

3M makes a product called "Finese It" This will do the last little bit. It will blend the edge where the old name was. Sun bleaches around the outline of the old name and so the color is different. This won't eliminate it but will blend it better.

If you them apply the new name over the old name you may break it up enough that it will be really hard to tell. You may be the only person that can. It's that or shoot the whole transom again. I had a cream colored transom on a boat with red two part paint lettering. Red bleeds very bad and can't be fixed over white.

The boat also had the name in white hard plastic letters on the red stripe below the rail. The Finess it did a good job on the outline that was left after the letters were removed. The screw hole were another matter. It should help your problem too. A soft buffing pad done by hand should work. I doubt you want to try using a machine on it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:02   #4

"Easy Off oven cleaner" is what my boat letter painter uses.
The old boat name's shadow will fade over time. Like others have said, if you cover it with a new name like I have done in the past the shadow will not be as visible. Most people won't even notice it, although you probably will.

Good Luck
ShaunJ
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 17:41   #5

Boat: C&C 41
Send a message via Skype™ to beaverpilot777

whew...a lot of different ideas...
I have tried EVERTHING to get the painted name of the back of our sailboat.
I tried the Easy-off...
I tried it in a the generic mode as well...
I tried Acetone...
I tried Gel paint remover...
I tried acrylic paint remover...
I tried staring at it, real hard...for a long time...even used a mean face...
I tried ignoring it too...( the Mrs. doesn't care for that one though...
Even tried some other stuff...like scotch brite, and nothing.
Wel..shouldn't say nothing. I removed 1/4 of the first layer of 1/2 of the 'G'!!!
I'm very worried about the gel coat underneath...
any other ideas?? Any folks in San Diego that are recommended??
Also need to get new name in the decal mode done too.
HELP!
beaverpilot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 18:08   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Superstition is hokey, it was because if you ground out the engraved lettering to many times you would have hole in your boat, just like you will have in your paint if you keep messing with it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 18:37   #7

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Awlgrip is a nightmare once it's on your boat. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2013, 19:00   #8

Boat: Hunter, 420 Passage

Heat Gun
Carver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:19   #9

Boat: Norseman 447

Come on Guys! He's said he's removed the name! He's also using Finesse it! He wants to know how to get the old shadow/fade marks off.

I think it will fade to match in time or you'll have to paint the transom if you want it "new" before applying new name.

Good luck, Greg ps. Pretty color for a pretty boat!
Old 07-06-2013, 20:30   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Thats what they make those great decals of your boat name and hailing port for ! They cover the old sanded out name and cover up the stuff your talking about !! If some care is used to apply them they look as good as a painted name, at least to me they do ! We have not changed the name of our new to us boat ! But if we were going to do it, I would sure look into these decals for sure ! Ive seen 5 or 6 of them, and was impressed !! Just my 2 cents
Old 07-06-2013, 20:37   #11

Boat: Beneteau 323
We had the same problem. According to our research the difference in color between the "shadow" of the lettering and the rest of the transom was due to heavy oxidization. The choice is to rub the whole transom back to the same color as the shadow, repaint or to apply new lettering over the shadow. The owner before us simply put a big ugly sticker over the old name.

We applied new lettering over the shadow because we did not have time to prep and paint before launching this Spring. We put our efforts into the bottom instead. It looks OK from a distance, not great close up, but at least we solved the problem and we are now cruising. We will come back around and repaint some time in the future.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverpilot777 View Post
whew...a lot of different ideas...
. . .
Also need to get new name in the decal mode done too.
HELP!
I just renamed my boat. I found a wide selection of decal fonts and colors from BoatUS Graphics. I attached a pic. Application was a piece-o-cake. Yes there is a shadow of the old name, but I can't see it from 50 ft and I'm confident it will fade over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	62266  
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:02   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I just renamed my boat. I found a wide selection of decal fonts and colors from BoatUS Graphics. I attached a pic. Application was a piece-o-cake. Yes there is a shadow of the old name, but I can't see it from 50 ft and I'm confident it will fade over time.

Are the small letters big enough? I remember 3" for port name, no?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10   #14

I don't know, I matched height of the prior name (8") and port (2"). . . You can order any size you want. They have a nice web page that lets you preview and tweak your selection. Plus they have an Ooops warranty if you have trouble with application.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Are the small letters big enough? I remember 3" for port name, no?
There's a topic on the forum. Topic: Hailing port letter size for documentation