Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 07:55   #16

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Removing name from hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
I hope you had an adequate denaming ceremony to appease the sea gods. ))
Agreed. Don't underestimate this.
Old 28-02-2015, 10:30   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Hair dryer works just fine for the vinyl and because it is less poetfull than a heat gun there is less cha ce of burning the gelcoat. Easy Off Oven cleaner works for the paintd part, but don't use the lemon scented one. Believe it or not it leaves a yellow stain in the glass that is a bear to remove.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:58   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
I would avoid using a heat gun if you have not used one before as it is very easy to over cook the area leaving burn marks in the gel coat and paint...................
Misuse can cause damage or even a fire but I find so many uses for a heat gun that I keep one on my boat. Heat shrinking electrical connections is one use and heating hoses to remove them or install replacements is another. Perhaps practicing on throwaway objects first would be a good idea. Or get someone with experience to show you how to use one.
Old 28-02-2015, 11:05   #19

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

If I remember right there was no ceremony for removing a name, but there is a rather elaborate ceremony for "re-naming"(actually for presenting the name", that involves a lot of talk and booze ... or sparkling cider.

I think the new name can be placed on the boat, but must be covered to evidently not offend the gods, then in the process of the ceremony, there's a time(after appeasing the gods) when the name is un-covered.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 11:17   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm a Vinyl fan myself, just be sure to get the UV resistant, cheap stuff fades.
You just can't do in paint what can be done in Vinyl, unless your an exceptional artist.
Name and hailing port done in vinyl on my boat, to include removal of old name etc., was $200 done last month.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 11:25   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

OP-
Do your homework, old common threads available all over. Really.

a64-
The oven cleaner is traditionally lye. Caustic alkali will "eat" the vinyl and cause it to lift and soften without any solvent action on the hull. HOWEVER the alkali will eventually eat the gelcoat, yellowing and softening it as well. So it is mandatory to thoroughly water-wash all oven cleaner residue, and then ACID wash the area with dilute acid (vinegar or lemon juice) to neutralize any remains. Followed by another water wash and re-waxing eventually.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 11:31   #22

Boat: Catalina 30
Removing name from hull

For vinyl removal I used one of those rubber 3M eraser wheels you put on a drill. Works amazingly well and does not damage paint/ gel coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-02-2015, 16:11   #23
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

For vinyl, heat gun and sharp scraper, being very careful not to overheat the gelcoat.

For paint, oven cleaner works some times. Best method is to sand it off with 180 grit on a random orbital, and then progressive sand, compound, polish, and wax.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 18:08   #24

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

No need to use a heat gun, a good blow dryer will work just fine and no need to stress about scorching the gelcoat. There will be a shadow left that you will have to buff out. I've used this technique many times with no adverse effects.

Cheers

I'd rather be on my boat thinking about God than in church thinking about sailing.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:13   #25

Boat: Tartan30

I was a Sign Painter for over 20 years in SW Florida, and specialiZed in lettering boat in and out of the water.
This is based on my working experience dealing with hundreds of boats.
1. Vinyl lettering should only require a good blow dryer. Generally heat a single letter, and then start at one corner, and pull the letter back on itself slowly while still applying the heat. Best guide for how hoy is simple. If it is too hot for your fingers it is too hot. It will be a little uncomfortable though. Very old vinyl will be harder and more brittle which means coming off in smaller pieces. There will almost always be a little residue left which can be removed with acetone, or "goo-be-gone".
THE GHOST IMAGE....there will be a ghost image where the letters were. This is due to UV breakdown of the exposed area, and the gel coat under the letters will be shiny and actually a little raised, as the other areas have been deteriorated just a little. Most often a little ONE THOUSAND GRIT WET OR DRY sand paper, and then some rubbing compound will eliminate the ghost image.
CAUTION...because the gelcoat often yellows just a bit, the area under the letters as well as the sanded and rubbed out area will now be whiter than the surrounding areas. Plan on very lightlly sanding and buffing the whole transom.
DO NOT WAX the area before applying the new vinyl name.

2.The "oven cleaner" method is for removing hand painted lettering ONLY.
The best I have found is Easy Off, and it must be the kind that does NOT require the oven to be heated. Do it on a warm day, preferably when the sun is falling on the transom. This applies to both paint and vinyl.
Two shorter applications of the oven cleaner are better than one longer one. Be careful as this method softens the gelcoat just a little and makes it easy to scratch. It re hardens afterwards. USE RUBBER GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES AS OVEN CLEANER IS VERY CAUSTIC. Have a water hose ready to rinse it off your skin or eyes. You will also need the water to rinse the cleaner off the hull and stop the cleaning action.

3. This applies to white gelcoat only. Painted hulls, are much more iffy because you have to take into consideration the condition of the base color.

SOOOOO heat the VINYL, peel it off, try to rub out the ghost image first, and if needed use 1000, or even 2000 grit wet or dry.

ONE OTHER WORD OF CAUTION.
When ordering vinyl lettering for your boat or anything else outside make sure you are getting "PREMIUM/HIGH PERFORMANCE VINYL" Many of the "deals" are because they are passing of low grade or intermediate grage vinyl. If you try to save a few bucks you will hate yourself later as the graphics will not last.
Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
This will take an afternoon, and probably a six pack, but it is doable.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:57   #26

Boat: C. E. Ryder, Southern Cross 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
I was a Sign Painter for over 20 years in SW Florida, and specialiZed in lettering boat in and out of the water.

This is based on my working experience dealing with hundreds of boats.

1. Vinyl lettering should only require a good blow dryer. Generally heat a single letter, and then start at one corner, and pull the letter back on itself slowly while still applying the heat. Best guide for how hoy is simple. If it is too hot for your fingers it is too hot. It will be a little uncomfortable though. Very old vinyl will be harder and more brittle which means coming off in smaller pieces. There will almost always be a little residue left which can be removed with acetone, or "goo-be-gone".

THE GHOST IMAGE....there will be a ghost image where the letters were. This is due to UV breakdown of the exposed area, and the gel coat under the letters will be shiny and actually a little raised, as the other areas have been deteriorated just a little. Most often a little ONE THOUSAND GRIT WET OR DRY sand paper, and then some rubbing compound will eliminate the ghost image.

CAUTION...because the gelcoat often yellows just a bit, the area under the letters as well as the sanded and rubbed out area will now be whiter than the surrounding areas. Plan on very lightlly sanding and buffing the whole transom.

DO NOT WAX the area before applying the new vinyl name.

2.The "oven cleaner" method is for removing hand painted lettering ONLY.

The best I have found is Easy Off, and it must be the kind that does NOT require the oven to be heated. Do it on a warm day, preferably when the sun is falling on the transom. This applies to both paint and vinyl.

Two shorter applications of the oven cleaner are better than one longer one. Be careful as this method softens the gelcoat just a little and makes it easy to scratch. It re hardens afterwards. USE RUBBER GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES AS OVEN CLEANER IS VERY CAUSTIC. Have a water hose ready to rinse it off your skin or eyes. You will also need the water to rinse the cleaner off the hull and stop the cleaning action.

3. This applies to white gelcoat only. Painted hulls, are much more iffy because you have to take into consideration the condition of the base color.

SOOOOO heat the VINYL, peel it off, try to rub out the ghost image first, and if needed use 1000, or even 2000 grit wet or dry.

ONE OTHER WORD OF CAUTION.

When ordering vinyl lettering for your boat or anything else outside make sure you are getting "PREMIUM/HIGH PERFORMANCE VINYL" Many of the "deals" are because they are passing of low grade or intermediate grage vinyl. If you try to save a few bucks you will hate yourself later as the graphics will not last.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

This will take an afternoon, and probably a six pack, but it is doable.

Ok u win.....8-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
hull