Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 07:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Remove old hoses from barbed fittings.

I have pulled the black water tank and associated hoses for replacement. While its out I plan to replace the potable water hoses.

The potable water hoses are made of reinforced clear vinyl (clear with threads woven through). They have been hose clamped to the nylon fittings on the tanks for 40 years.

Does anybody have a tip for removing the hoses without damaging the fittings on the tank?

Thank you as always
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:40   #2

Re: Remove old hoses from barbed fittings.

you are replacing this hose - right?

if so, just slit it (for a couple cm) lengthwise off the barb. It should be easy - be gentle but you can really damage the barb.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:51   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have, on occasion, successfully used a heat gun to warm recalcitrant hoses off their barb fittings but not always (definitely use extreme caution if trying this on fuel hoses).

However, once hoses have reached that age, they probably need to be replaced anyway as many types of hose will work-harden over time.

Before I install a hose onto a barb fitting, I lightly coat the fitting with some silicone grease. This usually makes removal in the future easier.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02   #4

Boat: Catalina 36

Use a hose removal tool if you want to save the hose and fitting. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4521-Hose...removal&sr=8-6.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23   #5

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Heat gun used with caution
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:41   #6

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Shave thin slices with a sharp knife until you reach close to the barb then it should stretch
bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
I have pulled the black water tank and associated hoses for replacement. While its out I plan to replace the potable water hoses.

The potable water hoses are made of reinforced clear vinyl (clear with threads woven through). They have been hose clamped to the nylon fittings on the tanks for 40 years.

Does anybody have a tip for removing the hoses without damaging the fittings on the tank?

Thank you as always
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37.1

Last year I did that job and I used a heat gun, just be careful with the eat you apply. Good luck
aviasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cat36Mahalo has the idea. NO boat should be without this tool!!!1
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I have, on occasion, successfully used a heat gun to warm recalcitrant hoses off their barb fittings but not always (definitely use extreme caution if trying this on fuel hoses).

However, once hoses have reached that age, they probably need to be replaced anyway as many types of hose will work-harden over time.

Before I install a hose onto a barb fitting, I lightly coat the fitting with some silicone grease. This usually makes removal in the future easier.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Capt. Rakstis, Ret. Marine Surveyor. I would never use any lubricants like greases on these hose fittings. Most all mechanic's I know as I do myself, use a little dish washing liquid, thin film applied with a finger. If non available a little spit works fair. Don't use oils or greases.
Always make your hoses a little longer than needed. A little heat should get them off, if not, cut them off right behind the barb. That little extra length now comes into play. These procedures work well on all hoses over 1/2" ID.
If your working with gas or diesel lines, if they don't come off with a pair of hose pliers, cut them off, don't use a heat gun.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:49   #10

Boat: Beneteau 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat36Mahalo View Post
Use a hose removal tool if you want to save the hose and fitting. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4521-Hose...removal&sr=8-6.
Great tool. I will definitely get that for the MG.

I see that it would work the treat with straight wall fittings. However I would be concerned using it with nylon barbed fitting where I am pulling against the barb direction. It seems it would gouge a grove in the fitting.

No?
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:54   #11

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
you are replacing this hose - right?

if so, just slit it (for a couple cm) lengthwise off the barb. It should be easy - be gentle but you can really damage the barb.
When removing hoses from brass or bronze barbs, the above method is pretty foolproof - the biggest risk being cutting something you don't intend - like your own hand.

For most plastic barbs, a utility knife can cut through the barb as well, so a heat gun used carefully on the hose is safer. Another tip is to warm the hose with the heat gun, then pinch it with pliers. Get the jaws on about one third of the circumference and squeeze, this will stretch the hose to the point it will come off easily.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 13:27   #12

Boat: Moody 49

+ one for heat gun but another way is to apply a little twist or torque to the pipe with a an adjustable pipe wrench; this will break the seal.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 22:14   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

if ready accessible try boiling water to heat and then twist and pull with rag on hose so you dont burn your hands -- no flame no fire risk.
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 18:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post

Thank you as always
I deal with those every day… a little heat from a propane torch and good to go. To reinstall a new one... a little heat then wet your finger and wet the inside of the hose and push on quickly...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 18:35   #15

Boat: Baba 35

Cut a slit with a razor. Takes no time.

To put one on, spit on it and smear it with your finger. And you didn't even have to buy some weird tool.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed