Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2015, 04:33   #31
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Re: Removal of stainless screws from aluminum and corrosion

I made insulators for stainless bolts using a 3D printer. They also need a flange or an insulating washer under the top.

Expat life in the Devil's Triangle:
Canibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 11:30   #32

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I had to do exactly that. I have 4 large non-opening ports with aluminum frames inside and out joined by SS screws.
  • I could not heat it because the lenses (acrylic) were too close to the frame.
  • I could not use impact driver as it would damage the frame.
  • I could not use penetrating oil because it was horizontal and the screw head tight against the frame (not countersunk).
It all depends on what kind of screw head you have. If itís a philips, be very careful because if you mess up the head youíll have to drill to extract. If it is a square (Robertson?) you are lucky as it takes a lot of torque. If it is a slot (mine were) then you are better than a Philips but worse that a square. I messed up some slots but I was able to recreate them with a hack saw.

I got the biggest with the thickest handle screw driver that fit the screw slot snugly (no side to side play). A big one will provide a better grip as you'll need to use both hands.
I leaned against the screwdriver and very slowly tried to tighten the screw and 10 times out of 10 it moved a hair, and that is all you need. Now turn it the other way (untighten) a little. Next tighten some more, and so on. Keep going back and forth until you have a good momentum to really untighten it by a quarter turn. Be patient, don't put too much load or you'll break the head. Once the head is off the frame you are almost home free but donít celebrate as you may have another 50 to do.
I was able to remove all of them (20 from each port). I was lucky as I had no plan B due to the above. But I really like Roverhiís idea of the electric arc as it provides quick localized heat.

SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:48   #33

Boat: Modified Roberts 36' (stretched to 39')

If they are Phillips head screws I sometimes use a drill slightly larger then the screw size to drill the heads off then grab the stub with vice grips and work the threaded stub out that way, better than breaking them off short and then having to drill them out.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 15:29   #34

Boat: Oyster 66

Lots more tips thanks and some stuff to buy. Centre drills, transfer punches, left handed drill bits and cobalt drills and screw extractor tools I already bought. I'll be out in a couple of weeks with some further supplies for the tool box.

I like the idea of loctite as an anti-corrosion treatment. Didn't know it was good for that.

Penetrating oil comes up regularly - what's the best for this job?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 16:00   #35

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

50/50 acetone and auto transmission fluid is supposed to be very good if you want to make your own out of common boats ingredients.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote

corrosion, crew, removal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: