Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 08:07   #1

Boat: O'Day 22
Question Reinstalling bow pulpit

I have a couple questions regarding the re-installation of the bow pulpit on my O'Day 22. I removed it last spring and due to health issues was unable to reinstall, but it is on the top of my list for this spring. My question is ~ When I set the mounting bolts back in, should I caulk/seal around the holes? use a rubber washer with the nut for sealing purposes inside the hull? Buy over sized ss "fender washers" to disperse the load under the hull attachment points? Am I overengineering this? I just want to make sure all is water-tight and the stresses at the attach points are minimized. THANKS!
Kevin
Msgt3227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Reinstalling bow pulpit

A couple pictures would help. But first you should make sure the core where the bolts pass thru are dry and sealed. If a solid surface (no core) then probably no problem.
Second, wher the pulpit meets the deck and anywhere else bolts pass thru, you should use 3M 5200 to seal around the contact areas and also around the bolts too.
On the underside a backing plate of about 3/8" should be used. I like G10 but 316L works too. The dimensions of the backing plate should be 1.5 times the contact area of the pulpit, if possible.

These are just suggestions not knowing what you really have.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Kevin - read this article and use the butyl caulk - works great. Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Good advice Del. In addition, would rout out the core material, fill the puka with thickened epoxy and redrill the holes. I use a Dremel 199 bit to clean out the core material. 5200 is great but LifeCaulk 4200, or butyl could also be used as a sealant. 5200 is a strong adhesive and might make removing the pulpit difficult in the future. Then again, may never need to remove it again. If any of the fasteners pass through cored areas, a leak would cause core rot that could spread to large areas of the deck. Whatever you do, caulk all fasteners thoroughly.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:48   #5

SATAN’S GLUE

(3M 5200)

Should be banned from sale to unsuspecting mariners!

Use butyl tape.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
SATAN’S GLUE

(3M 5200)

Should be banned from sale to unsuspecting mariners!

Use butyl tape.
Yep! That's the idea! so the darn thing doesn't move around under stress. Just like a keel.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yep! That's the idea! so the darn thing doesn't move around under stress. Just like a keel.
IMHO, the only place 5200 should be used on a boat are keels and the hull to deck joint.

If you've ever whacked a bow pulpit and needed to have it replaced, you'd rethink 5200 in a heartbeat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:09   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Removing a bow pulpit put on with 5200 is easy--all you need is a filet knife, a block of wood, and a hammer. Whatever you do, don't use one of the admiral's kitchen knives...I'm still getting grief after 10 years.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:40   #9

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
This.

Our bow pulpit also required a workbench and ball peen hammer to flatten out the mounting disks, which had been bent at some point by a previous owner. A neighbor saw us working and asked where to get the butyl because he also believed this to be the best method.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 14:34   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgt3227 View Post
I have a couple questions regarding the re-installation of the bow pulpit on my O'Day 22. I removed it last spring and due to health issues was unable to reinstall, but it is on the top of my list for this spring. My question is ~ When I set the mounting bolts back in, should I caulk/seal around the holes? use a rubber washer with the nut for sealing purposes inside the hull? Buy over sized ss "fender washers" to disperse the load under the hull attachment points? Am I overengineering this? I just want to make sure all is water-tight and the stresses at the attach points are minimized. THANKS!
Kevin
Yes you should make sure the holes are clear and clean. Bed the outside surfaces with 4200 (sorry Del gotta disagree on 5200). Use large area washers or even better backing plates of aluminum or stainless.

People have an expectation that pulpits stanchions and any stainless bars on deck are reliable hand holds and the should be, hence backing area washers or plates.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 15:44   #11

You can also use 1/4" fiberglass for backing plates. Also butyl tape will work wonders, and if done right you will never look at the job again, and you will be able to remove the rail any time you want, and reinstall with the same.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 15:54   #12

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

I would stay away from 5200. the next time you gave to remove the pulpit you would tear the gel coat off. There are many other types of sealant to use that are not so aggressive adhesive. My choice ups butyl tape.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-03-2015, 15:56   #13

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
This.

Our bow pulpit also required a workbench and ball peen hammer to flatten out the mounting disks, which had been bent at some point by a previous owner. A neighbor saw us working and asked where to get the butyl because he also believed this to be the best method.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-03-2015, 17:15   #14

Geeze! All this negativity towards 5200. Like I said w/o pictures it's hard to judge how to do the job. But working with 5200 is skill preference. If you don't know when or how to work with it, then by all means stay away from the stuff. Getting it off requires experience/know how.

And yes, my boat has butyl in certain locations as well but only 5200 is around the keel joint. I don't have a hull/deck joint anymore.

The problem I have with butyl is the greasy mess it leaves when it squeezes out on those hot days. Not to mention the only leaks I've had to date is where the butyl is. I normally use 4000UV for deck fittings.
Old 02-03-2015, 17:46   #15

Boat: Traditional 30

DO NOT use a rubber washer on any holes. They will break down and leak. Plenty of Caulking will do the job. Yes, use the previous load bearing plates and you should be fine.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote