Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 18:00   #16

Re: Reinstalling bow pulpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

1. Geeze! All this negativity towards 5200. Like I said w/o pictures it's hard to judge how to do the job. But working with 5200 is skill preference.

2. ...but only 5200 is around the keel joint. I don't have a hull/deck joint anymore.

3. The problem I have with butyl is the greasy mess it leaves when it squeezes out on those hot days. Not to mention the only leaks I've had to date is where the butyl is. I normally use 4000UV for deck fittings.
1. Not negativity, just common sense. Why use glue when you need a SEALANT?

2. See #1.

3. See the references to Maine Sail's "How to use it" photos. If you have extra, wad up a little ball of butyl and roll the excess off. What's so hard? Can't do that with 5200.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47   #17

Boat: O'Day 22

First of all, THANK YOU ALL for all the information
I see I do have a bit of homework now to make a decision...

Second, I apologize for opening what appears to be HUGE can o' worms here... ALLEZ! But I do know I won't use rubber gaskets...

Third, I don't have photos to show of the project, right now the O'Day is under two tarps, which are under 13" of snow... When I removed the pulpit, the holes and surrounding decking felt solid and there was no apparent leaking, but I think I will go ahead and ream and fill and redrill the holes just as a preemptive measure. and for the FUN of it!!

When the weather improves, I'll attempt to take photos for posting....
Kevin
Msgt3227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:25   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

When you fill the holes, use a high density filler like West Systems 304. You want something that will take the compression of the fasteners. Use a good quality duct tape to seal off the bottom of the hole. Tape without enough stickum like masking tape will leave you with a pool of resin where you don't want it. Surprised that the bow is under only 13" of snow. This winter 13' would be considered normal.

If you use the 199 Dremel cutter, cut down through the deck outer skin at an angle where it will be hidden by the flanges on the pulpit. Don't want to add to your load having to cover up something for aesthetic reasons.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote