Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 06:40   #1

Boat: Reinell 22', INSHALLA
Reinell 22

New owner of a Reinell 22 sailboat. Looking for other owners, have questions. Looking for help on finding metric turnbuckles and parts, sails and general info on the boat. THANKS
spooky alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Spooky,
I assume you are sailing on a freshwater lake? Our club experiences with a Reinell 26 has been that you need to be very mindful of corrosion on fittings and check the attachments, i. e. nuts and bolts to make certain they are stainless and through bolted with backing plates. Chase down any leaks and rebed everything as leaks occur. Winches especially need to be checked for attachment.
Let us know how she sails. Use a smaller headsail to make her tack easier if there is a bit of a problem tacking with a genoa.
Congratulations on your newly acquired vessel. I believe there is an owners association but I have not really checked the website for one.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:06   #3

Thanks for the input

The boat seems to be watertight haveing weathered several thunderstoms. The hardware is all tight and in good shape. The only water problem I seem to have is water getting in the footwell of the cabin. I don't think this a water ballast type shoal keel. I did find a small 1/4" hole drilled in the footwell about 6 inch up on the side. Since I only get water if I trailer or tilt the boat for drainage I suspect water between the keel and floor. It has a factory plug in the floor for some reason. I will drill a hole in the bottom of the keel and see what amount of water I get out. If much I will explore installing a bilge pump under the cabin floor. The other headache is all the standing rigging is metric.
Old 31-07-2010, 10:39   #4

Boat: MacGregor 26M
Alice-

So glad we found your post! We purchased a Reinell 22 foot sailboat just yesterday, and we also noticed seeping coming from the exact same area you described. Have you found any answers yet? The previous owner hadn't noticed it, but he hadn't sailed in it for almost two years... maybe just didn't remember because it is such a small amount coming in.

We're sailing in the Puget Sound in Washington state, so we're in salt water. However, seeping is seeping, whatever the water!

Have you learned anything else about this boat? Did you find an owner's website? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Selah Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 10:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Reinell Sailboats Owners
Reinell Sailboats

Reinell 22 Association
Ric Ruminski
212 Hibiscus Ave
Gulf Breeze, FL 32561 USA
Email: Ric@Ruminski.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 13:30   #6

Boat: MacGregor 26M
Thanks so much!
Selah Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:17   #7

Boat: Reinell 22 Sailboat 1976
Hello Reinell 22 folks,
I bought a Reinell 22 a year ago and learned to sail on it at Lake Lanier in North Georgia. I've heard it is a good learning exercise to intentionally capsize your boat on a nice day in a safe area to learn how to right it. Would the Reinell 22 capsize without sinking? How rough would the wind/wave stress have to be to knock it down? Any thoughts on this pedagogical experience?
Thanks,
Sean
aka cabezadevaca
cabezadevaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00   #8

Aloha Sean,
Don't do it. They are not designed to capsize and for a larger boat with a cabin definitely not. She will sink if enough water gains the saloon.
Whoever you were talking with or heard it from was either pulling your leg or talking about dinghies or Hobie cats.
Kind regards,
Old 01-08-2010, 17:48   #9

Boat: Reinell 22 Sailboat 1976
OK, but how much wind & wave can a Reinell 22 handle?

Hello SkiprJohn,
OK, no capsize exercise. Thanks for the quick and urgent answer. Believe me, I would not try it without researching the question.

So, the next question is: How much wind and wave can a Reinell 22 stand before capsizing? So far the heaviest winds I've tried are a little over 10 mph, I suppose higher in gusts.

Also, would you ever consider sailing it off shore or island hopping in the Caribbean?

Sean
cabezadevaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 00:59   #10

Aloha Sean,
Most lightly built production boats will handle 30 knots pretty well. You need to have a reefing system that you know and use. Its time to reef at about 15 knots of wind when you see frequent white caps.
The Reinell 26 our club had was not suitable for any but the mildest offshore uses. The hardware and rigging was extremely light and not quality.
This is just my opinion but I would not even think about getting to the Caribbean in a Reinell.
kind regards,
John
Old 02-08-2010, 04:20   #11

The water is seeping in thru the plug in the floor, it's not really a plug. water has built up in the keel area and is coming up thru the plug from under the floor. You need to install a round hatch in the step and install a bilge pump in the bottom of the keel. This will drain the water and solve the wet footwell. Another source of water inside is the hull to deck joint behind the rub rail. calk the rub rail and it will dry up.
Old 22-03-2013, 23:34   #12

Boat: Reinell 22
Re: Reinell 22

1974 22' owner for about 1 year, refitting for salt water, Does anyone know or have pics of the mast tabernacle, not shure if mine is complete.

is there a lock or somthing at the aft base of the mast?

I stepped it today and just didn't look to secure in the base.

my concern is if i use a boom vang it may pull the mast off its mount base.

Thanks for the help
keith46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinell