Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 19:24   #226

Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Also, to everyone with advice, thanks. I'm starting to look for a small blue water cruiser for the wife and me. We had one, but sold it during the real estate down-turn. I'm not sure we shouldn't have kept the boat and got rid of everything else.
Anyway, now the plan is to sell everything else and get a boat in the $5-15K range (either somewhere on the West Coast--CA to WA, doesn't matter--or in Fla where we have family) and see what we can do.
We had a 34' Yorktown that my wife found, and sold for a small profit after a year. It had all sorts of options and a great layout (cabins fore and aft with a pass-through galley) and we're friends with the new owners.
We need to bone up on our sailing and are looking forward to getting on the water again.
Thanks for all the advice, it's a good reminder of what I need to do once we find something that may be usable.
Galdarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 01:24   #227
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdarol View Post
Thanks for all the advice, it's a good reminder of what I need to do once we find something that may be usable.
Nice to see some new blood on the thread . Looking forward to hearing how the "new" boat search goes - whether elsewhere on CF, or also on this thread!

A "reminder" is probably a fair description of what this thread is about - meant neither as an encouragement nor as a discouragement.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 00:14   #228
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Be a Visionary,Look at what it can be not what it is.Buy a Boat with a Pedigree,One that stands for something World Cruiser, Fast Racer etc.

Compare the price to pay with one that is Ready.

Make SURE YOU ARE READY TO 100 % commit.

Have a proper work area tools knowledge etc.

Do not be impulsive,in the market there are plenty of fixer uppers.

In my past experience I,can tell you without a doubt the most ready looking boat still needs something.

Don't under any circumstance buy a Boat with serious structural problems. Pay for an ultrasound of the hull --great piece of mind.

Start with the important things making the Boat Seaworthy, I Mean really seaworthy, then move to the systems etc etc.

I have done this three time in my life and was always happy at the end. I'm doing again right now. Could have spent a lot more money and never had as much satisfaction.

Good Luck
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:29   #229

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
I have only owned one boat, but know a lot of other people who have owned boats.

1968 was the year I believe.

So what would I spend $30+k on necessary refurbishments?

Here is my fear. I fear that a lot of cruisers are too safety-oriented. They are like the parents who are scared of their children being kidnapped by strangers. An almost unheard of occurrence but one that has a huge emotional appeal. I do want to lower my risk, but don't want to pay an exponential price for safety.

IF you got away with only spending $39K on upgrades on a boat of that age and size it would be a miracle. We purchased our Bristol 45.5 in 2008 and spent $70K on upgrades - the list is too long to give here but we were not extravagant. Couple of examples though. We replaced the original Hood furler with a new Schaeffer, which makes sail handling much easier (our genoa is very large). New ground tackle (proper-sized Manson Supreme and 3/8" chain) + new windlass ($4k), Couple of new sails (7k), new dinghy and motor (3k), new refrigeration (6k), solar panels, new batteries. It keeps adding up. We are now in Oz and the mast is out for some rewiring and a new forestay (it was replaced 4 years and 20,000 miles ago), should have been OK but wasn't; also liferaft recert, dinghy repair, refrigeration repair.

BTW, don't assume that you can bring your boat to Oz and sell it easily. Lots of people came here to do this this season and I am only aware of one that sold and it was at a great discount. It seems the market for crusing boats here has been saturated and many Aussies go the US or Europe to get a boat and bring it back.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:27   #230

Just a thought. Do you want a sparkling shinny30+year old boat that everyone goes Ahhhh over or a boat that looks good from 20 meters and you don't have kittens every time someone comes over for a visit. I know some people who had their boats topsides sprayed with 2 pac and had a mirror finish 30 year boat with a new boat finish but don't come along side in the inflatable and the blast they gave their dock buddy for kicking their wayward fender back into place. I had A QUOTE to get my topsides spray painted and it just was not going to happen. So I was going to go with the roll and tip. started and a paint guy in the yard, gave me the best advice ever. Just roll on the 2 pac 2 coats 2 days then 2 years do it again and again in 2 years the boat looks good and fresh and you get to enjoy it. after 6 years cut and polish no need to paint. So I have taken this and other advice from tradies in the yard and that is keep on top of maintenance keep up with paint and varnish but don't be to pedantic and enjoy your older boat.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 07:20   #231
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking

Greetings! I get to learn all I can about used boats while I wait for the house to sell and I retire to the lap of not luxury. This looks like a good place to learn some of that boat repair stuff. I hope you guys don't mind if I ask questions along the way.
Nia
Old 13-05-2012, 12:44   #232
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
Greetings! I get to learn all I can about used boats while I wait for the house to sell and I retire to the lap of not luxury. This looks like a good place to learn some of that boat repair stuff. I hope you guys don't mind if I ask questions along the way.
Nia
Ask away Whether on this thread, elsewhere on CF or your own (This thread was more about "Lessons learnt" (including the hardway!) rather than actual ongoing projects - or plans for. But no hard and fast "rules" ).

Just out of nosiness, what sort of boat are you thinking of - and what sort of Project?
Old 13-05-2012, 22:17   #233
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Ask away Whether on this thread, elsewhere on CF or your own (This thread was more about "Lessons learnt" (including the hardway!) rather than actual ongoing projects - or plans for. But no hard and fast "rules" ).
DOJ I have been doing a lot of asking, and making some good friends while I am at it. Who better to learn from than the people who already living it? I figure I am already ahead of the game since I am learning first and buying later.

"
Quote:
Just out of nosiness, what sort of boat are you thinking of - and what sort of Project?
What kind of boat, is what I am here to find out. Looking at the maintenance needed for wooden or steel boats and my skill level I am going with fiberglass, monohull between 30-36 ft. I like the looks of Islanders, Hallberg Rassy, Westsails, and a dozen others, but then what do I know? The only experience I have is on a 44' Orona which is way beyond my price range. I do like that cat, but do not have the budget for them.

Yanmar diesels are looking good as their reputation seems to be one of reliability, ease of maintenance, and availability of parts. That said, I am keeping my options open. I still have a lot to learn.

Question... This is going to sound way out there, but is there a need for a hydraulic jack on board? I have one that runs on 12 volt and I'd hate to give it up.

Nia
Old 14-05-2012, 01:41   #234
Armchair Bucketeer

Nia,

Sounds like you are starting from a good place with the learning first and buying later approach IMO certainly a far better starting point than "I have bought 50' of old boat - what do I do now?"

Internet and chatting to folks (in real life) is very useful, especially on the lessons learnt (the hard way!) - not to say you will avoid having your own!........but also essential to get hands on with as many boats as possible - in varying conditions (including those you would not touch with a 6' bargepole!). Abandoned projects would be a useful learning tool, especially if owner around - and at least vaguely honest!

Sometimes poking around in dark corners with a flashlight and / or hanging upside down in a bilge is the best approach - and the advantage of doing so on someone else's boat is that you are not married ($$$) to what you find .

Quote:
Yanmar diesels are looking good as their reputation seems to be one of reliability, ease of maintenance, and availability of parts. That said, I am keeping my options open. I still have a lot to learn.
Never had one, but over here have a good rep - but IMO the "best" engine is one that a PO has taken care of, especially given the likely age of the boat / engine. Some people can stuff up an engine in short order - mostly from running it on wishful thinking maintanence wise . But nonetheless no matter how careful on purchase, with engines there is always at least a bit of finger crossing involved.

Quote:
Question... This is going to sound way out there, but is there a need for a hydraulic jack on board? I have one that runs on 12 volt and I'd hate to give it up.

Nia
Off the top of my head I can't think of one - certainly nothing that springs to mind that would justify the space onboard (that could be used for something else)......but the fact that you have such a thing and are reluctant to give it up says to me that you probably have the right mindset to tackle the "stuff" that a boat will bring .

Anyway, keep us posted on your research .
Old 14-05-2012, 06:10   #235
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Off the top of my head I can't think of one - certainly nothing that springs to mind that would justify the space onboard (that could be used for something else)......but the fact that you have such a thing and are reluctant to give it up says to me that you probably have the right mindset to tackle the "stuff" that a boat will bring .

Anyway, keep us posted on your research .
Darn. I really like that jack. It took my 3 yrs of asking around before they finally got one in. That use for it you mentioned on the other site... yes I could put it to work, quite effectively. But then it isn't a project I want to take on.

I would love to be climbing all over boats. Unfortunately I live in a desert and there aren't a lot of boats around. In the mean time I do what I can.
Old 14-05-2012, 07:44   #236

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Nia,
Don't give up the jack yet. It was a screw jack that saved the Mayflower. If it's a low profile jack it could come in handy. I keep a scissor jack (& angle block) on board for going under the motor incase I need to replace motor mounts. Every manual tool I've used on the boat (within reason/space) I keep on the boat.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you learn from others before stepping in on major expenses.
Old 14-05-2012, 13:21   #237

Hi Nia -
If you're in the desert and you wanna sail, how about a prairie schooner?
Seriously though, have you ever sailed a land sailer, like a Manta? I'll bet it would be a blast in the desert! And you can get 'em used for practically nothing.
Fiberglass1Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 17:34   #238
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Nia,
Don't give up the jack yet. It was a screw jack that saved the Mayflower. If it's a low profile jack it could come in handy. I keep a scissor jack (& angle block) on board for going under the motor incase I need to replace motor mounts. Every manual tool I've used on the boat (within reason/space) I keep on the boat.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you learn from others before stepping in on major expenses.
Really, you mean I can keep it? The case, which also comes with an impact wrench (which I LOVE) is only 11"x27"x6". Its not big, honest. Even less room if I dump the case. I feel like Christmas again!

Thanks for the welcome by the way.
Nia
Old 14-05-2012, 17:41   #239
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass1Inc View Post
Hi Nia -
If you're in the desert and you wanna sail, how about a prairie schooner?
Seriously though, have you ever sailed a land sailer, like a Manta? I'll bet it would be a blast in the desert! And you can get 'em used for practically nothing.
I sold my horses a long time ago and I dont need to pour my money into them even if they are cute and cuddly so a prairie schooner is out. I dont live in the kind of desert a land sailer would be fun on either. Too much sagebrush, too many badger holes, and too many rocks. It would be fun if I could though.

Nia
Old 14-05-2012, 21:25   #240

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Really, you mean I can keep it? The case, which also comes with an impact wrench (which I LOVE) is only 11"x27"x6". Its not big, honest. Even less room if I dump the case. I feel like Christmas again!

Thanks for the welcome by the way.
Nia
Wowa! That's a floor jack! That would be pretty extreme on a 30'-40' boat. Maybe you could put it under your mast and jack the mast for head'n up wind.

Ya never know! Sometimes we have to think outa da box!

BTW here was my champ, Andy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andy1.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	41043  

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb