Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 13:06   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Hi EelKat and welcome to the Forum.

Your requirements differ from those of most of our members, so I had a quick look on Yachtworld.

There is a Lindgren Shipyard Ketch, with an owner sounding like they want a good home for her. Is this the sort of boat that you're looking for?

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 14:00   #152

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Hi EelKat and welcome to the Forum.

Your requirements differ from those of most of our members, so I had a quick look on Yachtworld.

There is a Lindgren Shipyard Ketch, with an owner sounding like they want a good home for her. Is this the sort of boat that you're looking for?

\

Hello Eelkat.
Boracay I think that's more boat then she needs right now.

She wants a real project but the way she writes I think the project will out live her. Not that that's a bad thing either. It'll be fun to watch!
Old 26-12-2011, 14:56   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat
Love this thread! So much to read. I love seeing every ones thoughts here.

I noticed something here, again, and again, and again...10 pages and I'm only 3 pages in on the reading still, but it seems like every other comment here repeats the same thought of: "think about resale value vs money put into project", which makes me stop and ask if the folks on here have the same motives for rebuilding an old boat that I have ...aparently not. I'll explain.

A lot of people think about the resale value but I think there are also a large number working on "the last boat." not so different than your plan.

Some will consider "amortization" of the investment. That is if I spend X dollars and get Y utility out of the boat befo I sell it I am not llay interested in making all my money back. That is sort of my philosophy.

I bought my boat for $10k. Over 6 years I have spent about $36k all up for everything including maintenance, upgrreads, mooring and insurance. It would be crazy to think I could recoup any of that, even the upgrades which are probably 5-6k. The reason is I consumed/depreciatd the value of the boat by using it. If I sell it for 10k I am way ahead becaude I have had way more than 36k worh of fun.

Welcome to CF and good luck on the project. You will find I think that a home on the water, especially salt water will require a level of maintenance and probably cost higher than the cottage you had before. It's all about entropy and boats certainly spend the majority of their time wearing out, deteriorating and brreaking down.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:25   #154

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Although Beach House is a trawler, we have posted extensive details on the repairs, upgrades and installations in preparation for long distance cruising. Many of these improvements were also done on our sailboat Sea Trek to prepare it for cruising. Much of that info is on our Sea Trek site but most current stuff can be found on the Beach House site. It takes us about 3 to 4 years to get a boat where WE want it for the type of cruising we plan. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:29   #155
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Ellikat... people restore boats for a variety of reasons... some for money... some outa love... some like me for physical/psychological therapy...
The 1st boat I ever bought was an old wooden bilge keeler that had been rotting away in a yard for a few years..
While my leg was in plaster.. 9mths... I worked on the exterior... once the cast was removed and I could bend my leg partially again I did the interior...
The 1st pic is as she was.... lotta rotten wood in cockpit area... took 18mths... allowing for hospital ops etc...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img027.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	35145   Click image for larger version

Name:	img028.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	35146  

Name:	img029.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	35147   Click image for larger version

Name:	img032.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	35148  

Name:	img034.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	35149   Click image for larger version

Name:	img033.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	35150  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 16:49   #156
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
Love this thread! So much to read. I love seeing every ones thoughts here.

I noticed something here, again, and again, and again...10 pages and I'm only 3 pages in on the reading still, but it seems like every other comment here repeats the same thought of: "think about resale value vs money put into project", which makes me stop and ask if the folks on here have the same motives for rebuilding an old boat that I have ...aparently not. I'll explain..
Glad you like the thread

Just to say that the thread was definately not started to tell (or lecture!) folk what to do (or not do), nor say what is the "right" way of proceeding, because there are many ways and mostly they depend on the people involved - what works for me may not work for "you" (and vice verce).

The thread is simply to share experiances and thoughts......contributions don't even have to be directly boat refurb project related..............One of the joys of boats is you get to make up a lot of your own rules to suit own circumstances / wants / needs (no one else can do that for "you") - and then yer get to live with the consequences .

In regard to the money put in vs resale which you picked up on (from multiple contributers) - really it's about simply being aware that you are likely doing that, not saying not to do so (on a major refurb project hard not to!).............Probably more relevant for those with smaller boats (due to tight finances rather than pure choice) where the aim is to end up with something larger....so deciding where to draw the line somewhere before perfection is sensible.

My take on a larger (and especially a first & last) vessel is that being aware is still important, as personal circumstances / dreams / plans can change - might never intend to sell (like me) but always a possibility......on which note, I too have (and will further!) put money (cash & time) into my vessel that will never come back - but I don't care

Whether your plan succeds or not is largely down to you - plus life not throwing you too many curve balls along the way........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 17:04   #157
Armchair Bucketeer

Classic Dilemma

Over the Xmas period was painting the reverse side of various hull lining panels.....a job I should have done before recovering them with vinyl a couple of years back .

Most of them look fine but on a couple I must have been pissed when I recovered them in vinyl ......the only thing wrong with 'em is cosmetics (I should have filled and sanded a bit better - especially as changed from foam backed vinyl to straight vinyl, simply because I prefer the look and the foam disintergrates over 20 years - the reason for the recovering).

My choices are:-

a) redo the job properly now (I still have the headlinings to recover, so will be vinyling anyway - but these have all been prepped)

b) leave as is for now, refit to boat and sort out later / next year

c) fit and forget!

I (mentally!) can't do c) - on a strict budget (time & money) it would be the sensible thing to do.........I have to decide between a) and b)......up to now the answer would always have been a), but in recent times have taken a more relaxed approach to re-doing stuff ad infinitum .
Old 26-12-2011, 17:15   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
"On the other hand, I knew someone who bought a big strong boat that needed lots of work, they did nothing to it and went cruising. The deck core was so wet that it was visibly buckled up in spots. The Perkins was old with many hours, but ran well. When they were done cruising about 3 years, they sold the boat for ~ the same they paid! I think they were smarter than many of us!! " said by Cheechako in post #17.

I'm afraid you have a very valid point. When I bought my Cal 34 about 8 years ago, there was nothing substantial wrong with her; only had a depth gauge, compass and VHF; tired old mainsail, soft spot on cabin, original upholstery. Since then I've spent more hours refurbing than sailing. I admit I may be the type sailor who enjoys refurbing almost (?) as much as sailing, but in hindsight I could have just sailed her as-is and saved myself thousands of $. But once we have a boat, there is some "pull" some sense of the romance of sailing, that compels us to bring the boats back to their original beauty. And I am betting many boats being rehabbed by us could have followed the quoted example. Thoughts?
I think we share the same disease!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 17:15   #159

With regard to resale value, how does a house compare on the refit and live in for a while cost, vs. the same on a boat.
Obviously house prices go up (mostly) but does that equal the amount it costs to live in one, I'm talking about taxes, maintenance, fixtures and fittings etc if you came to sell it, I suspect not.
Lots of variables to consider, but if you look at the costs of big tv's, cars, utilities bills and all the other junk you get rid of when you move on a boat, I suspect the overall "loss" of living on a boat is not that much worse.

e.g. Our council tax bill here in the U.K was the same as our mooring fees for a 62' boat, and the "utilities" bills were diesel for the genset, water was included in the mooring fees.
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 17:55   #160

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.....the only thing wrong with 'em is cosmetics
I'm thinking it all comes down to if you're more comfortable on a boat or a yacht... and for me the answer is boat. Yacht finishes are superb, but not necessarily livable and since this is my home I've opted for comfort above a Bristol finish.

Of course if you'd like to practice your boat polishing skills or varnishing, gel coat renewal et al, I would be willing for you to visit.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 18:22   #161
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I'm thinking it all comes down to if you're more comfortable on a boat or a yacht... and for me the answer is boat. Yacht finishes are superb, but not necessarily livable and since this is my home I've opted for comfort above a Bristol finish.

Of course if you'd like to practice your boat polishing skills or varnishing, gel coat renewal et al, I would be willing for you to visit.
The irony is that I like the workman like look, blemishes / knocks / imperfections and all ........just find it difficult to accept building in the blemishes etc to start with!

I would love to visit - but for some reason don't really have the time...........
Old 26-12-2011, 19:04   #162

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Welcome to CF and thanks for sharing ... and sharing ... and
ROFL....

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:32   #163

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Eelkat,
You want a big project?
Well this is it.
This boat is crying out for a major restoration.
The interior is unique with teak and stained glass panels, but it needs a lot of restoring.

Here is the Yachtworld link...
Do yourself a favour and take a look at the pictures of the interior.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:44   #164

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Eelkat,
You want a big project?
Well this is it.
This boat is crying out for a major restoration.
The interior is unique with teak and stained glass panels, but it needs a lot of restoring.

Here is the Yachtworld link...
Do yourself a favour and take a look at the pictures of the interior.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Wow what a boat to take to Thailand for a re-fit!!!! Love the hull lines, beautiful.
Old 26-12-2011, 20:31   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
"On the other hand, I knew someone who bought a big strong boat that needed lots of work, they did nothing to it and went cruising. The deck core was so wet that it was visibly buckled up in spots. The Perkins was old with many hours, but ran well. When they were done cruising about 3 years, they sold the boat for ~ the same they paid! I think they were smarter than many of us!! " said by Cheechako in post #17.

I'm afraid you have a very valid point. When I bought my Cal 34 about 8 years ago, there was nothing substantial wrong with her; only had a depth gauge, compass and VHF; tired old mainsail, soft spot on cabin, original upholstery. Since then I've spent more hours refurbing than sailing. I admit I may be the type sailor who enjoys refurbing almost (?) as much as sailing, but in hindsight I could have just sailed her as-is and saved myself thousands of $. But once we have a boat, there is some "pull" some sense of the romance of sailing, that compels us to bring the boats back to their original beauty. And I am betting many boats being rehabbed by us could have followed the quoted example. Thoughts?
Well, I've just bought my boat (well, a few months back now) but going to pick her up in a few days. The urge to 'get stuck into it' sprucing her up after some 10 years on a mooring with the occasional haulout (she was a floating apartment) is pretty strong, she looks a bit rough on deck. But I'm taking it quietly, I have a little money and a lot of time, not vice versa, so I won't just bounce off and replace all the rigging and the engine and... my budget won't allow that, so I'll probably settle for making sure it's ok to sail home and sort the rest out when I get there where the haulout costs are rather less than in Sydney. (It seems a few hours on the hard and the haulout would be several hundred dollars - I can haul out for a week at home for around $350.)

It's 1700nm to home, but I'm taking it quietly and not pushing the gear day and night until I'm sure it's up to it. I've allowed three weeks or so, not in any particular hurry, if you're sailing, getting there is all the fun, right?

AussieGeoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb