Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 11:35   #421

Boat: still looking
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

p.s. if I do end up on a functional trainer, then sailing her around, and getting my dock rash stages of the learning curve out of the way BEFORE I do exterior refab, makes a heck of alot of sense( but only now that you pointed it out) lol
madgunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:07   #422
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think that is pretty good advice (not to say that someone hasn't done the opposite with complete success - and will shortly be posting here ).

IMO unless the water is actually coming in or you are heading straight off on your distant travels (plenty of other reasons not to on day 1 of your learning curve - even on a perfect boat!) then I would restrict your refit to lots of thinking, scribbling down notes (also called a plan!) and researching how much and how to (and when / what order and where) for everything you need / want to do.....and only do work / spend money on stuff that is really really needed (and not on things you would just like or only think you need - not know you need) - the exception being stuff that can easily be removed and taken on another boat or sent (back?) onto E-bay etc.....even then I would not go too mad at the outset.

Even after your thinking / planning and first hand experiance I would heartily recomended NOT going down the route of stuff like changing the interior layout or changing anything fundamental (like from tiller to wheel or vice verce) just because you think it would be a good idea - if you really want the Galley somewhere else or 3 inches on a berth etc etc then you are far better off buying a boat that has those as standard.....boats come apart a lot quicker than they go back together!..........Something enthusiastic first time owners all too often discover is that their "need to" list becomes longer as they learn more with out creating work for yourself by getting carried away with the "want to" list (nice to do some things though )

........and don't forget the magic of white paint and don't try and overfinish her to 2013 showroom standard as she wasn't like that when new! - IMO settle on sound and very clean and tidy for a 10 (or 20?!) year old boat, complete with "character" (aka cosmetic imperfections!).

If you do buy then would likely be of use to you to start own thread for her and your plans (refurb / learning curve / travels) - and of interest to others.
I think it is good advice also..I bet there are lots of folks that wish they had taken this advise before spending lots of money for naught..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 18:11   #423

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

When you get ready to buy a mess-o-epoxy keep the link to US Composites handy. I use 635 Thin resin for most glassing and I mix it with their microballoons for core filler instead of balsa or urethane.

U.S. Composites, Inc. - Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 20:53   #424

yes it's been a few years since I did any glassing outside of gun work, and they seem to have come up with a million new names/formulas, or maybe it's the difference between auto body and marine use that gets confusing? doesn't anybody just use acraglass?? comes in a runny original, and a stays in place gel form, color dies in a bajillion colors, 40,000 psi break strength, impervious to temperatures -100 to 285, gas doesnt touch it, 68% hydrochloric acid? ha it laughs at it, hell this stuff might outlive cockroaches in a nuclear wasteland. and its pretty cheap too.
Old 22-03-2013, 21:18   #425

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

gunny, did you see that 50ft cat in florida? It might be worthless trash, certainly ugly at present, but if the hulls are sound(big IF) wouldn't be hard to make it a spacious liveaboard. someone said its free.

CATAMARAN 52 FEET (PROJECT BOAT)
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 21:30   #426

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

a good deal can be had for these fixer-uppers. The steel tub is huge. The woodie makes me sad. It was a very fast boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4205.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	57630   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	57631  

Name:	DSCF3985.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	57632   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	57633  

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	57634  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 07:00   #427
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
a good deal can be had for these fixer-uppers. The steel tub is huge. The woodie makes me sad. It was a very fast boat.
That is a sad situation with regards to the wooden boat..Fewer and fewer as each day passes...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 11:10   #428

well I really like free stuff, but the truth is I have nowhere to put one to do repairwork. I'm needing something I can a:buy in sailworthy" needs tlc" condition, or b:floatable for less than 2k in repairs. a rolling refit as I heard someone say. if I could find something I could liveaboard, in a repairyard then that might expand my options.. I don't mind steel work( am gunsmith/machinist after all) and I've done a fair amount of arc/mig/tig/oxy-gas welding, and a fair hand at auto style FG, but the woodies scare mea bit, just don't know enough to know what I don't know
Old 23-03-2013, 11:11   #429

repair rules I live by
Cut to size
File to fit
Paint to match
Old 23-03-2013, 11:16   #430

lol that cats a monster. where would I park it. lol.. but all the potential liveaboard room is tempting
Old 23-03-2013, 12:08   #431
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgunny View Post
I don't mind steel work( am gunsmith/machinist after all) and I've done a fair amount of arc/mig/tig/oxy-gas welding, and a fair hand at auto style FG, but the woodies scare mea bit, just don't know enough to know what I don't know
Plenty on CF about steel boats - lots of "value" to be found in them, but lots of potential downfalls as well (the two are linked!). Long story short, Steel boats rust from the inside out - and need both a decent PO and builder (lot of Steel boats are DIY built - mixed abilities = mixed results)....fibreglass more forgiving of PO's - but nothing immune.

I think I saw a passing comment from you on another thread about solid fibreglass being better....I too went for solid GRP (hull and deck - UK boat from 1970) and so far so good, but sister ships not all so fortunate (Osmosis )......I mention that because nothing perfect. A good cored GRP (or even steel!) is better than a bad solid GRP boat - but IMO the advantage of the latter is that problems (after 30 years plus?) are the more visible - even if might also need a moisture meter.....and that solid GRP more forgiving of a numpty PO (in the Older boat market it's a question of numbers and not if the boat had one!).

But you does your research, pays yer money and takes the gamble (I say gamble because no one has x-ray vision and second sight, including any surveyor - always stuff that gets discovered over time through ownership, if not a new item then in the extent..........some the Vendor would not have known about and some he simply forgot to mention / spell out ).

But as said already, none of this is rocket science - likely you will do ok.....just the route to that may be different to the originally intended .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 16:42   #432

yup. all a gamble, but I don't mind a little(?) risk.. I still lean towards all fiberglass, as in solid! but the mor e research I do, the more I think cored isnt as bad as I've heard.. typical forum talk I guess.. some hate em, some love em.. saw an alberg 30 in GA. thats a real wreck but it floats.. lol. guy had a sale of $1500 but one of my friends knows him and says I could have it..free, but its a definite PROJECT..hull has impact damage from another boat topside, above the water( hasty patch) and the side deck is gone.. no top liner, no core, no bottom liner( think sunroof without the fancy window),, prety sure I'm gonna take a pass lol but it was tempting( for about 9 seconds) I'll just have to keep looking I guess. in the end I'm still pretty sold on solid glass, with a molded in full keel, poured lead, encapsulated ballast, and an inboard, round 30-35 feet. which means I'm still trying to figure out which boats/brands had all that( O and a maid, and a full bar, and?) lol
Old 25-03-2013, 12:28   #433
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgunny View Post
saw an alberg 30 in GA. thats a real wreck but it floats.. lol. guy had a sale of $1500 but one of my friends knows him and says I could have it..free, but its a definite PROJECT..hull has impact damage from another boat topside, above the water( hasty patch) and the side deck is gone.. no top liner, no core, no bottom liner( think sunroof without the fancy window),, prety sure I'm gonna take a pass lol but it was tempting( for about 9 seconds) I'll just have to keep looking I guess.
Sounds like you "saved" yourself a lot of money and a lot of heartache (and several years of your life!).

IMO a good idea to look at boats "you" wouldn't touch with a 6' bargepole, especially if dissassembled - means you get to both look at the gubbins you never normally see and get a close up look of individual problems you want to avoid buying (many are generic accross boats)...........with the bonus of being able to walk away for free .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 10:27   #434

so of all the sailors and other armchair wannabes( myself included) there has got to be a large collection of boats out there that fall into the: if I only had the time to fix it" category. you know, all those boats the members run across for free or cheap that need lots of work, but can be safely restored by the DIYers. so lets hear about them. share the wealth guys( and gals), tell everyone about the boats you know about and would like to have but just don't have the time/cash to take it on
Old 27-03-2013, 10:31   #435

remember. the boat project thats too big, too expensive for you may be exactly what some other member is looking for!

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb