Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-09-2014, 11:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Refrigeration Help

I have an Adler Barbor Cold Machine, see photo below. I need the relay or one that will work that is on the compressor, it sticks sometimes and the compressor won't run until I tap on it (percussion adjustment )

Better photo below

I believe I also need a thermostat as it just doesn't get very cold (compressor is off prior to reaching a very cold temp)
Also I believe the refrigerant level is low as I only get about 1/3 of the evaporator frosted.
How do you go about hooking gauges to this thing? It appears to be a sealed unit. I assume R-134a?

Old 22-09-2014, 14:06   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Refrigeration help

It appears to be a really really old unit. I think that all adler barbours since the 1990's have a computer module that controls the system and I dont see that on yours.

You might try getting in touch with richard kollmann in fort lauderdale. He has a website you might find by googling.

Old 22-09-2014, 14:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
It appears to be a really really old unit.

I figured that, but I think if I replace the drier, put a new thermostat on it and a proper charge of refrigerant, it may well have a few more years left in it.
I hoped Richard would pop up here, I've tried sending him a PM in the past to no effect, I'm sure I mucked it up somehow.
Old 22-09-2014, 16:41   #4

My AB is ten years old and runs perfectly. A liveaboard friends AB died after 25 years. He didnt replace it, but bought one of those Engel refrigerators that looks like a cooler. Said it worked fine and used about half the amps.
Old 22-09-2014, 16:43   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Those relays are available at auto parts stores for very little money.
Old 22-09-2014, 16:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So it is an automotive relay then, just in a metal box? Are the terminals marked?
Old 22-09-2014, 16:51   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I plan on ending up with an Engle or similar, but use it as a freezer and keep the fridge.
Does anyone know if I can buy valves that go in the lines, I'm hoping between the quick disconnects?
How do you service these things?
Is it R-134A?
Old 22-09-2014, 17:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

A standard 12V light relay from the auto parts store would work well on the compressor.

Unless it's been recharged, it's most likely a R12 refrigerant.

Here's one type of service valve

Amazon.com: Robinair 40288 Line Piercing Valve for 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" OD Tubing: Automotive
Old 22-09-2014, 17:34   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Refrigeration Help

SC thanks, didn't know about line piercing valves.
I have a few cans of R-12 I brought back from Korea in 2000,now to find some R-12 gauges.
I feel sure it has not been converted as I don't see how that could be done with no valves
Old 22-09-2014, 21:13   #10

A64, in picture number 1, to the right of the compressor, there is a verticle tube with a cap on it. This closely resembles the tube on my AB. Richard Kollman sells a book on his website that might be helpful.

I had to buy an adapter to mate that fitting to the fitting on the refrigerant can, both of which I bought at an auto parts store. I never actually used it, just bought it for the spares kit.
Old 22-09-2014, 22:24   #11

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

A64,

Once you get the relay sorted out make certain the coils on the condenser are quite clean and unrestricted and the fan moves air properly. A frosted evaporator on a refrigerator can also be a sign of a restricted condenser.
There should be a tag or label somewhere stating what refrigerant and how much of it is needed. It looks like you already have a service fitting, the vertical tube with the black hex nut cap which is at 1:00 on your lower picture. The valve underneath will most likely show you what sort of refrigerant you use, but to be sure to RTFL(abel).

Likewise, if you clean off the relay you should find a part number there as well. The concern I would have there is there are a few different relays that look identical externally but have slightly different components. A part number should be easy enough to cross reference to an appropriate relay.

If you are going through this work, I'd strongly suggest replacing that inline filter or receiver/drier. If your system has a replaceable orifice, now is the time to at least inspect it. If you see a long copper tube the size of a piece of spaghetti, you will not have a replaceable one FYI. Since you are this far into it, if you can evacuate the system and then pull a vacuum on it for an hour that will also help by removing any residual moisture in the system too.

In regards to actually adding refrigerant to a system like this with only one service port, the usual procedure is to evacuate the system and then add the number of ounces noted on the tag, wherever it is.

Hope that helps and didn't overcomplicate anything, but like they say with airplanes "10,000 bolts to hold it together, but only one to take it apart!" and unless you cover all your bases you might miss the issue causing the problem.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Mark

Tags
refrigeration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: