Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 04:35   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
refrigeration

Stupid question,
My new to me boat has an adler barbour refrigeration system, the question I have is there is a switch for a sea water pump, I'm sure to cool the condenser, but why do I have the option to turn it off? Is this something that is not required for operation, but improves cooling if used? Or will I burn up the compressor if I don't run the sea water pump? Sorry for the stupid question, if I had a manual I'm sure the answer would be in there.
If its required, I don't understand the switch
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 04:50   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: refrigeration

The pump needs to run all the time. It should be tied in with the thermostat so that the pump cycles on and off with the compressor. I assume when you say it has a switch, it is a breaker on the panel? You should leave the breaker on whenever the the breaker for the compressor is on. It just serves as circuit protection for the pump and its wiring.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 05:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's a switch mounted on the wall above the ice box, it's labeled adler barbour sea water pump with a nice factory plastic switch plate and it's a lighted switch, when the compressor is running, the light is on unless of course the switch is off, it's not a switch / breaker. Just seems if it was necessary, why would any manufacturer put a switch on something that is essential, thereby allowing the owner to damage the system?
Full truth is it quit pumping water for at least a week and I had a lot going on with a delivery so I didn't try to troubleshoot, but everything appeared to be working fine.
Old 15-04-2014, 05:52   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The Adler Barbour has an optional seawater cooling circuit to run in addition to its normal air-cooled condenser. Its main purpose is to allow the condenser to be mounted in places where airflow is insufficient and air cooling is not enough.

You will not hurt it by not running it, unless you are using it in extremely hot conditions and it is mounted in a closed hot place with no air flow. If the seawater circuit is not used, you will just have a plain old AB cold machine without that option.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 06:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark,
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Darn thing even without the seawater pump will freeze ice, keep ice cream and will freeze most anything kept directly under the evaporator, so I'm well pleased with it, just wanted to make sure I wasn't burning it up.
The compressor assy is in the Lazarette so it's not ventilated, but it is a large open area at least. best thing about that is you can't hear it run inside of the cabin.

Tags
refrigeration