Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2009, 06:54   #1

Refitting - Labour Costs

Hi,

I am considering a 20 year old tired 10m beneteau. I am budgeting new standing rigging, new mainsail, servicing thru hull fittings, rudder bearings, stern gland, service steering and if it needs it yanmar rebuild. The spares can be had in Florida but what labour costs can be expected per hour in the US and is it convenient to have work done in the Caribbean, if so, any recommendations?

TIA
Noesfacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 07:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Boat yard labor in the San Francisco Bay Area is getting close to $100 per hour. For less skilled labor like the people who polish the hulls or paint bottoms it is less but for engine mechanics, riggers or other highly technical labor, its high. If you have the time and the knowledge, then doing as much of the labor as you can for yourself will save you quite a bit of money.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 07:25   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
From what I've seen in FL $80 per hour is not out of line. Looks like you'll be spending a lot on a "tired Beneteau". And you're just listing the essential fixes.
Old 30-10-2009, 07:27   #4

Boat: 48' Hi Star
We are in the Pensacola, FL area and having some work done on the boat. We are having the engines serviced (fuel injectors, etc. ) and the guy we are using charges $50/hr for labor. He comes highly recommended and really seems to know his stuff.

We just had the topsides painted and our very experienced and competent boat painter charges $40/hour for labor.

My partner does most mainenance himself, but the painting job was a little overwhelming, and we wanted it done professionally. We also wanted a pro to do the engine thing because we don't want to be stuck out in the Gulf with dead engines.
Old 30-10-2009, 07:41   #5

sailorgal,

If you're familiar with the area and know competent people and the boatyard lets them work in their yard, labor is usually cheaper. The $80 I mentioned is what I've seen boatyards charge. One yard I know charges $150 for outside service people to work in the yard. A buddy of mine got hit with that charge when a contractor came into the yard just to pick up his sails!!
Old 30-10-2009, 07:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
From what I've seen in FL $80 per hour is not out of line. Looks like you'll be spending a lot on a "tired Beneteau". And you're just listing the essential fixes.
She's a 90's First, I like the fast hull and the Stark interior. As I will be headed south I was asking myself if it's cheaper to re-rig or to rebuild an engine e.g. in BVI, Porto Rico or Trinidad?

Thanks for the feedback
Old 30-10-2009, 07:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
We are in the Pensacola, FL area and having some work done on the boat. We are having the engines serviced (fuel injectors, etc. ) and the guy we are using charges $50/hr for labor. He comes highly recommended and really seems to know his stuff.

We just had the topsides painted and our very experienced and competent boat painter charges $40/hour for labor.

My partner does most mainenance himself, but the painting job was a little overwhelming, and we wanted it done professionally. We also wanted a pro to do the engine thing because we don't want to be stuck out in the Gulf with dead engines.
I am pretty practical so I am sure lots of things can be handled without outside help. However as you say certain tasks merit outside help and professionalism. Or for peace of mind of coz you can't do it. I'm not sure if I could replace a stern gland without special pullers or properly swage a fitting to wire.
Old 30-10-2009, 08:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noesfacil View Post
She's a 90's First, I like the fast hull and the Stark interior. As I will be headed south I was asking myself if it's cheaper to re-rig or to rebuild an engine e.g. in BVI, Porto Rico or Trinidad?

Thanks for the feedback
If the boat is in Florida now I would do the work before heading south.
Old 30-10-2009, 15:34   #9

Boat: Boatless
$80 in Florida and $50-60 in Grenada and Trinidad but why not buy one someone else has already fixed up!!!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 16:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
2005 Beneteau?

It sounds like you're considering a Beneteau First 32S5. A quick search indicates that the asking price is $40-50k.

You're going to be bidding against the racer/cruiser crowd, so I'd doubt if it would go real cheap.

Rather than checking labour rates it's probably more instructive to cost what you can see (engine, rigging, sail, services) and then use the tip of the iceberg method to approximate the total cost.

I'm guessing $20k+ for the items listed, so at least three times that to bring the boat to cruising condition.

So you're looking at $100k, and the boat's still going to be 20 years old.

Don't forget that leaving Florida you have to cross the Gulf stream which will test every system on the boat.

Have you considered buying an ex charter boat. I found a 2005 Beneteau 323 listed with the Moorings Brokerage for around $75,00. I've read reports that following a survey all major items were fixed and or factored into the price.

Bottom line could be that for about the same cost as a 20 year old boat you get a 4 year old boat. Please think about it. Maybe even fly down and have a look.

Unless you want to spend over a year fixing up a boat, only to get it shredded as soon as you leave port.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote