Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2016, 17:03   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Re: Refitting - best place in the world

Thanks, Jim!

I'm envious of your cruising grounds. I'll get to the South Pacific someday, and back to Oz too (spent a year in Sydney as an exchange student in '79)!

Cheers Mate,
Geoff

Old 20-08-2016, 23:00   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S. View Post
Thanks, Jim!

I'm envious of your cruising grounds. I'll get to the South Pacific someday, and back to Oz too (spent a year in Sydney as an exchange student in '79)!

Cheers Mate,
Geoff
Well, we obviously like it here! But honestly, we find Sydney to be a zoo these days and avoid the harbour completely... you might find a few changes since '79! Like wall to wall condos lining the harbour in so many areas, boats operated by idiots thickly carpeting the water, and prices that will make your eyes water just reading the ads!

But Broken Bay, just 15 miles away offers a different scene, and on week days the waters ain't crowded... well, not TOO crowded! None the less, we're glad to be away and cruising northward for now.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 21-08-2016, 06:15   #48

Boat: GibSea 472

I've seen many Europeans (French, Dane, Italian ) doeing major refit in Tunisia. I was surprised the see the quality of workmanship, and the clean, modern and well equiped marina in general. Port El Kantaoui is the best of the lot, with machine shop for everything and cheap and skilled labor. At that price you would not do anything, and let the experts do the job. Info(in french!)
http://www.bonjour-tunisie.com/touri...3%A9e-6013.htm
Old 21-08-2016, 06:38   #49

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We have had work done in Subic Bay, PI (lived there for 10+ years), Phuket, Thailand (10-mo refit including a new teak deck), Marmaris, Turkey, as well as Greece, Italy, and Puerto Rico/USVIs. As I wrote before, Phuket has the bits as well as the craftsmen to do almost anything, and the work we had done was excellent.....and at a more than reasonable price. Marmaris is a close second. Singapore and Langkawi third. But based on experience and costs here in the US, I can't imagine the quality and value-for-dollar would be even close. But that's just my opinion, from one who's been there.
You lost me at Singapore. ..no way in hell I would ever have any work done in Singapore , was once quote 900 SGD just for someone to turn up at the Marina, this was before they would quote to fix the problem with the solar panel charger.
Old 21-08-2016, 07:13   #50

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
You lost me at Singapore. ..no way in hell I would ever have any work done in Singapore , was once quote 900 SGD just for someone to turn up at the Marina, this was before they would quote to fix the problem with the solar panel charger.
Had a quote to repair a brake line, "$300, and you will need to have it towed to my shop." Translation, "You, know what the problem is and the problem is not worth my time." If they quote high enough, you'll fix it yourself and they can get back to jobs that pay better, or their favorite hobby.
Old 21-08-2016, 07:42   #51

Boat: Able 50

Congratulations on getting into the Clarence Jim. I tried twice but couldn't make it because the breakers over the bar were too big at around 4 feet. Wound up in Coffs Harbor both times.
Old 21-08-2016, 13:05   #52

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
How about across the bridge at Johor (Malaysia side)?
Old 21-08-2016, 13:49   #53
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
I was surprised the see the quality of workmanship, and the clean, modern and well equiped marina in general. Port El Kantaoui is the best of the lot, with machine shop for everything and cheap and skilled labor.
Hi Elie, I assume that you have been there, do you know what is the cost of lift and handstand?
And the general daily tradesmen rate?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-08-2016, 14:11   #54
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Thinking about Tunisia reminded me that Morocco also could be a very cheap refit place.
I was in Marina Saidia in 2011 and paid 12/d for berthing my Salina 48, including water, electricity, wifi, armed security. At the same time in Greece, Italy, France and Spain I was getting charged anything from 70 to 120.
The marina was nearing completion and of the highest standards, Frenchman managing it, a 150 ton travellift capable of lifting a 50+' catamaran.
Not a lot of skilled trades yet, but I was told that they would be there as the marina got completed, swimming pool and all....
The sheds and hard stand facility were in place, so was fuel dock.
Saidia is a port of entry.

Tanger marina was also being developed, with three new harbours: fishing, cruise ships and pleasure boats, including megayacts of course.
Someone mentioned to me that it was finished, but I have no idea as to what can be done there, any of you been there recently?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-08-2016, 18:18   #55

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire

Been there ,done that. I agree with the comments regarding work done in NZ, and Whangarei in particular. I did a major refit there over 6 years, and was pleased with the results. Wherever you go always stay involved regardless of the reputation of the yard. I have seen so many problems encountered by absentee owners.
I had bad experiences with Thailand both with quality, but particularly comunication. Check out the yard before you commit, talking to other boaters helps. A friend of mine was upset with a yard in Thailand for taking so long with the job,and incredibly the yard manager admitted he had delayed the work to add yard time and cost to the bill. If you choose SE Asia then bring with you as much of the supplies and parts as you can handle.
Tasmania would be a good location if you buy a wood boat.
Maybe you should consider taking some of the retrofit budget and adding it to the acquisition cost of the boat, and go cruising instead. Be aware that most people grossly underestimate the cost and schedule of a refit by up to a factor of five. It's not only government contractors who underestimate jobs.
Overall I would choose NZ, good luck where ever you end up

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-08-2016, 16:55   #56

Boat: Columbie 481, 48 Feet
Send a message via Skype™ to janaconda

Hi. I can recommend the Philippines for excellent hourly rates and very good work. We are in Carmen on the island of Cebu, rebuilding a NordHavn 46 that was partially sunk in a typhoon many years ago and left to sit on a mooring. Just last night we paid a professional fiberglass worker overtime of $2.14 per hour to work until 7pm. The welding, fiberglass and painting are all top quality and the labor is unbelievably cheap. As it happens we are selling our 48 foot cutter rigged sailboat because we bought this Nordhavn. We have sailed our boat 1 1/2 times around the world and it is ready to go again. It is full of teak inside, and teak deck. It is within your price range too. So, if you want good cheap labor, and the boat we happen to have it all!
Old 24-08-2016, 06:22   #57

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Tasmania would be a good location if you buy a wood boat.
except 1 hour wage in Tasmania is a day or more in Thailand
Old 24-08-2016, 07:16   #58

Boat: Able 50

I'll take the opposite view and recommend against a place - Rhode Island.

Don't come here unless you are prepared to spend absolute top dollar. Yard labor costs $120 - $150/hour. Private contractors cost $80 - $100/hour. You can wait weeks and weeks for anyone to show up. This happened to me just recently
- electrician #1, said to my face twice that he would come over but didn't show either time
- electrician #2, said he would come over . . . . . in 3 weeks
- electrician #3, said he would come "on Friday" and after all kinds of complaints arrived 15 days later.

This place is only good for unusual custom jobs. eg there would be at least 5 guys in RI who could do a great job building a custom pulpit, but oh the $$$$$.
Old 15-09-2016, 07:21   #59

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We have had work done in Subic Bay, PI (lived there for 10+ years), Phuket, Thailand (10-mo refit including a new teak deck), Marmaris, Turkey, as well as Greece, Italy, and Puerto Rico/USVIs. As I wrote before, Phuket has the bits as well as the craftsmen to do almost anything, and the work we had done was excellent.....and at a more than reasonable price. Marmaris is a close second..
I see several people recommend Phuket. I will arrive there in a few weeks, so...
Would you like to suggest any particular yards or marinas to use or to avoid, when it comes to having things done in Phuket...?
I need some teak work done, fixing some piping and tubing, minor electrical issues etc.. Just lots of small tasks really.
Old 15-09-2016, 09:43   #60

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
I see several people recommend Phuket. I will arrive there in a few weeks, so...
Would you like to suggest any particular yards or marinas to use or to avoid, when it comes to having things done in Phuket...?
I need some teak work done, fixing some piping and tubing, minor electrical issues etc.. Just lots of small tasks really.
Hi, I'm at Boat lagoon phuket getting work done right now. Its not as cheap as some suggest, it really depends on who you use. In regards to painting and fiberglass I wpuld use San ( ask.around). Eg. One quote I got was approx $4700 aud, San did the same job for $850'aud, and great quality. You really need to ask around once you get here. If Australians run the business then they will charge Australian prices or close to. Have you considered Satun? Ive been led to believe there timber work in good and cheaper.
Don't be scared to politely negotiate.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
refit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: