Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 14:17   #361
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
She's certainly a whole different animal now. Nice work!
Thanks! She is coming along.
__________________

__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 14:31   #362
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,416
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Must be nice looking back on those "before" pictures now!
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 16:50   #363
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Must be nice looking back on those "before" pictures now!
It really is. It has been so much work. But at the same time I enjoy the work and it really keeps me out of trouble.
__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 16:55   #364
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Today was a nice easy day. I finished getting the boat ready for the polishing and waxing that is scheduled for tomorrow. I washed the boat with my dad Saturday. Today I vacuumed up the dead bugs and other dirt. Then gave it a final wash. Tomorrow I will wipe it down to get the dirt off and do a polish and then a coat of Collinite wax.
__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:06   #365
Senior Cruiser
 
Ann T. Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 7,354
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

She's really looking pristine! Well done.

When are you going for a sail?

Ann
__________________
Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, free at last, will check in when in internet range
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 19:31   #366
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
She's really looking pristine! Well done.

When are you going for a sail?

Ann
Thanks! Hopefully Tuesday we will have her out with the sail up. I was thinking about getting a roll of sticky back Dacron and seeing if I can get 6 months of life out of the main. Then I can go out with two sails.
__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 17:01   #367
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Monday I got the boat waxed and looking good and today we grabbed my dad and went sailing. He has worked so hard on the project that he had to be there for the maiden sail.

The wind was not too cooperative. Very light to say the least. Being that we really don't have a main it was not super exhilarating. But we had a great time. We managed about an hour and a half under sail before the wind called it quits and then we motored around for another couple hours. We managed a blistering 4 knots under sail (averaged probably 2.5) and 8.3 under power. It was a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4028.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	81645   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4029.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	81646  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4030.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	81647   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4063.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	81648  

__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 17:12   #368
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

While we were out we managed to run across Procyon, the Harken bi-pod mast boat. She is in our marina and we have walked by a couple times. Interesting design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4082.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	81649   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4090.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	81650  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4095.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	81651   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-20_4098.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	81652  

__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 23:43   #369
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,416
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Congrats on the maiden voyage! I bet there were plenty of times in the past couple of years that you wondered if you'd ever get to enjoy this day.

8.3 kts. under engine power must be about your theoretical hull speed. If you were tapped out, then that sounds like a pretty good match btwn. the engine & prop. I'm still not quite there with my own prop. What size is your engine?
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:40   #370
Senior Cruiser
 
Ann T. Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 7,354
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Well done, cpa.

I hope you can get a good mains'l soon.

Ann
__________________
Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, free at last, will check in when in internet range
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:40   #371
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Congrats on the maiden voyage! I bet there were plenty of times in the past couple of years that you wondered if you'd ever get to enjoy this day.

8.3 kts. under engine power must be about your theoretical hull speed. If you were tapped out, then that sounds like a pretty good match btwn. the engine & prop. I'm still not quite there with my own prop. What size is your engine?
Thanks! The motor is a Beta B60. I was at about 2400 rpms when I was doing 8.3. I really did not want to push it all the way to 2700. It feels like 1600 rpms is the sweet spot. At 1600 rpms we are at 7 knots.

My last boat had 16 hp and at 2800 rpms I was at 5.5 knots. If I was going into any kind of wind or chop it was a painful 4 knot ride. I remember I spent a day in Hawks Channel with 15-18 knots on the nose, I was on a deadline and motored for 10 hours at 2700 rpms at 3.5 to 4 knots. Then the wind shifted and the rest of the way to Miami was a great close reach. This boat feels like it can do 7 knots through anything.
__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:45   #372
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well done, cpa.

I hope you can get a good mains'l soon.

Ann
Thank you. I hope so too. I really hate sailing without a main. Maybe I can get a job in a sail loft and build new sails in my spare time. It has only been 20 years. I am sure I still remember how to do it.
__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:50   #373
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,416
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
Thanks! The motor is a Beta B60. I was at about 2400 rpms when I was doing 8.3. I really did not want to push it all the way to 2700. It feels like 1600 rpms is the sweet spot. At 1600 rpms we are at 7 knots.

My last boat had 16 hp and at 2800 rpms I was at 5.5 knots. If I was going into any kind of wind or chop it was a painful 4 knot ride. I remember I spent a day in Hawks Channel with 15-18 knots on the nose, I was on a deadline and motored for 10 hours at 2700 rpms at 3.5 to 4 knots. Then the wind shifted and the rest of the way to Miami was a great close reach. This boat feels like it can do 7 knots through anything.
That sounds like a great engine! I forgot -- did you guys repower as part of your refit? I've read nothing but positives on the Kubota-based Beta's. You may not yet have your mainsail, but at least your aux. power seems pretty squared away!

My 80hp Westerbeke doesn't come close to the performance you cite, but I think the pitch, etc. on my fixed prop has room for improvement. My 47' boat could also be quite a bit heavier -- factory spec is at 34,400 lbs. but probably an easy 40,000 as it sits now, esp. loaded with fuel/water.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 00:48   #374
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Just joined Cruisersforum.
What a great thread, your boat is looking great, very envious!
I too, want to do what you've done one of these days.
My biggest problem is living 600Kms from the sea!
Well, many happy sails to you on your Compass 47.
__________________
frigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 14:19   #375
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 591
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
That sounds like a great engine! I forgot -- did you guys repower as part of your refit? I've read nothing but positives on the Kubota-based Beta's. You may not yet have your mainsail, but at least your aux. power seems pretty squared away!

My 80hp Westerbeke doesn't come close to the performance you cite, but I think the pitch, etc. on my fixed prop has room for improvement. My 47' boat could also be quite a bit heavier -- factory spec is at 34,400 lbs. but probably an easy 40,000 as it sits now, esp. loaded with fuel/water.
Yes this is a great motor. Our designed weight is 28.5k lbs. We worked with Beta Marine on the size and pitch of the prop and went with a 3 blade fixed. So far it seems like a good fit. I would have loved a Max prop. But funds are always tight.
__________________

__________________
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
compass

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.