Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 13:28   #1

Refit at Indiantown in Florida ?

I'm planning a long overdue refit on Kelly Peterson 44, currently parked at a private residence dock in Ft. Lauderdale. Very extensive refit is needed including repower, new fuel and water tanks, lots of interior work including electrical and plumbing, paint the hull and deck, etc. etc.

My current thinking is to move it temporarily to a Ft. Lauderdale yard to take the mast down (necessary to replace the water tanks) and staging for transport by truck. Then truck it up to Indiantown for the refit.

One concern I have is that I want to hire some hands to help with manual labor, hopefully inexpensive. But Indiantown is telling me these workers have to be insured, and I have no idea how to accomplish that. Another concern is that Indiantown is so remote, I would prefer doing the refit closer to Ft. Lauderdale, but the boatyard has to be affordable (if there is such a thing!).

Looking for suggestions and advice, thanks.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:51   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Refit at Indiantown in Florida?

The temp agencies will cover all the legal stuff for employees. You can bring your own guys and sign them up, too. That way your ass is covered if their is an accident. It will be cheaper than yard rates.
Old 04-02-2012, 21:24   #3

Thanks Sand crab, never thought of that. Have you gone that route before? Is there a minimum rate the agencies will require that you pay the help?
Old 04-02-2012, 21:43   #4

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

Hey,
I have a Canadian friend who is an excellent craftsman and who is planning to do work on his own boat in Indiantown. He has hauled there before and can probably offer you firsthand knowledge of what is there. If you would like to contact him, email me at christinekling at mac dot com.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 22:19   #5

Thanks Christine. Email sent!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

It would be a lot cheaper to motorto Indiantown than to truck. All yards will require liability and workers comp for workers. Indiantown is a nice place to do this sort of project. We work there regularly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Speedo. I'm in construction and we do this all the time. It costs about 35% to 50% more but for that you get legal workers and no liability. And they are your guys not the boatyards. The minimum rate is minimum wage but you won't get any good help for that. You need skilled help not laborers. Be careful hiring the Canadian if no Green Card. That would be illegal but he can't sue if he gets hurt. There's always a bright side. Good Luck
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
It would be a lot cheaper to motorto Indiantown than to truck. All yards will require liability and workers comp for workers. Indiantown is a nice place to do this sort of project. We work there regularly.
Thanks David. I may be able to repower in Ft. Lauderdale and if I can I will definitely motor up there. Otherwise, trucking is my only option.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Speedo. I'm in construction and we do this all the time. It costs about 35% to 50% more but for that you get legal workers and no liability. And they are your guys not the boatyards. The minimum rate is minimum wage but you won't get any good help for that. You need skilled help not laborers. Be careful hiring the Canadian if no Green Card. That would be illegal but he can't sue if he gets hurt. There's always a bright side. Good Luck
Thanks for that info. Very helpful.

Tags
florida, refit