Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48   #1

Redoing Deck "Skid" Area

The deck of my '77 Tartan 34C has areas of what is probably the original white gel coat, next to sections of beige non-skid. The white sections are pretty worn and little spider web grazing is visible and in some small high traffic areas the gel coat is probably completely off. I want to redo the white sections myself. Does anyone know which 'paint' is appropriate here? Any specific brand recommendations? It should be easy to apply without a spray gun.
Any advice on this process would be much appreciated.

cheers,
Thomas
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:45   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: redoing deck 'skid'-area

Sure, Awl Grip but it will not hide the small cracks Sounds like you will need to do the whole deal . Primer/ filler then top coat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 13:05   #3

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Any decent 2-part paint such as the polyurethane paints. Awlgrip is good. So is Dupont. Also 2-part epifanes which is a little cheaper (but still expensive.....). I've just put some of that on my topsides but it hasn't been on for long enough for me to be able to give feedback on how it lasts. You can buy 'anti-skid additives' or just sprinkle on some sand. Do the first coat, cover with sand. Once it's set brush off the surplus sand and cover with another coat or two. I used sand-blasting sand like this on one of my boats. Very good non-skid but i wouldn't want to fall over on it!

There are also other options. A friend of mine has something called 'tread master'. Very good product - comes in sheets and you just cut them to size and then stick them down with an epoxy-based adhesive (you could probably also just use epoxy resin with a tiny bit of filler added to bulk it up a bit but i haven't tried it...... It's not hard on your skin if you fall on it and it's very good anti-skid even when soaking wet. Planning on getting some next year.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 15:18   #4

Boat: contessa 32

Just did my decks in awl grip ,fanatstic product and support.'Kiwi grip also seems worth your attention, but this is NOT something to be taken lightly,huge preparation and if any corners are cut you very well may be sorry that you ever started the project.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 02:45   #5

Thank you for the advice.

Which would be the appropriate Interlux product(s) to use for the 'skid' area?
Old 14-06-2013, 04:24   #6

I used Snow White Perfection 2 part on my deck. I removed all deck hardware, filled all holes, faired where necessary, then primed with Interlux Epoxy Primekote. Then I put the first coat of Perfection, rolled and tipped off, on the whole deck. Then just recoated the parts that were not non skid, with 2 more coats. Then mixed the Perfection with the Interlux Flattening Agent to make the Snow White more of a satin non blinding finish and then mixed in the Interlux Intergrip. Used 2coats of this on the non skid.

Results were excellent!
rickoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 05:28   #7

Thanks. What did you use to fill the holes and for fairing?
Old 14-06-2013, 05:55   #8

Re: Redoing Deck "Skid" Area

KIWI GRIP.........fills all the spider cracks.....is NOT a huge prep production.....you just wash the are w/ soap and water......have done many decks over the years....KIWI GRIP .....certainly gives best results for the least effort......e
scajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 06:54   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Redoing Deck "Skid" Area

I used Evercoat One Step Premium Gelkote five years ago and it looks great.
Brush it on and it flows out smooth.
Just add Pumice Non-Skid to your mix and brush it on for non skid areas

Evercoat One Step Premium Gelkote

Pumice Non-skid
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck