Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2015, 08:22   #1

Boat: Shopping for it.
Recore possible?

Ok I have been off the water for 20 years and have finally gotten close to retirement. I want to get back into sailing/cruising. I am looking at a Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41 centerboard which is listed with teak decks that need refastening and a soft deck that needs to be re-cored. I am looking at this boat because of the price it would literally be a steal. (I know you get what you pay for, but I am very interested in this boat).
NOW I would do all repairs myself except the deck. My question is would it be possible to remove the teak, and have the deck repaired, then just glassed over leaving the teak off. AND if so what price range would this be in worst case?

Thank you for any replies.

Ed.

Old 14-05-2015, 09:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Recore possible?

Really depends on the extent of the damage to the core. Would expect the cost to have a yard do it to go beyond $10K and possibly well beyond. Removing the teak deck is the easy part. Cutting open the deck, recoring, reglassing, and refinishing is going to take a lot of hours.

If you really want the boat but cut the cost of repair, put the boat in a do it youself storage yard and hire free lance fiberglass worker(s) to do the job. Get references on the workers and check them. Yard labor would probably run near a $100 an hour. A free lancer would work for half or less of that. Be sure and pay your insurance on the boat and get workman's comp. insurance on the help.

Old 14-05-2015, 09:34   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Yes, it is possible, and frequently done.

The price will be significant, as this is an extremely labor intensive job. I was also going to guess at a minimum of $10k.

This boat does not sound like the kind of project that will get you out on the water any time soon.
Old 14-05-2015, 09:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It will be very expensive/time consuming. more than it's likely worth, especially on a Cheoy Lee. Of course it depends on if you do it your self, but removing the teak, cutting off the fiberglass decks, rebuilding the decks, repainting the decks/cabin etc. You are probably talking a $30-$40k job. Not to mention everything else the boat likely needs. The whole deck including the cockpit may be saturated. So double that at least $60-80k.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 10:30   #5

Thank you for the replies. I was hopping to hear not more than $15k-$20k, but the $60k or more has made me rethink this.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
Thank you for the replies. I was hopping to hear not more than $15k-$20k, but the $60k or more has made me rethink this.
It really is that labor intensive. It costs several thousand just to have a deck painted. My neighbor took the cheapest bid for painting and had to hound the guy to get it done, ended up removing the tape and doing other cleanup himself and frankly, it doesn't look all that impressive.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
Well....... you might get the deck rebuilt for that... Problem is the rest of the boat....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:00   #8

I understand. Back to looking.
Old 21-05-2015, 16:22   #9

I recored a 32 footer with about a dozen gallons of epoxy. Fiberglass biaxial was about $200. Found a deal on the core for a few hundred too. Gallon of kiwi grip paint then. It took me 8 months of occasional work. Rock solid now. Simple. Messy. Itchy.

Christian Gould
St. Paul, MN
S/V Sea Dog
Apostle Islands Lake Superior
Old 21-05-2015, 18:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchcng View Post
I recored a 32 footer with about a dozen gallons of epoxy. Fiberglass biaxial was about $200. Found a deal on the core for a few hundred too. Gallon of kiwi grip paint then. It took me 8 months of occasional work. Rock solid now. Simple. Messy. Itchy.

Christian Gould
St. Paul, MN
S/V Sea Dog
Apostle Islands Lake Superior
I add $10/day of grinding or epoxying for a disposable painters coverall. No itch and the clothes are safe. With coveralls, mask and goggles, it was hot, even in balmy 65 degree weather, though.
Old 21-05-2015, 19:41   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I add $10/day of grinding or epoxying for a disposable painters coverall. No itch and the clothes are safe. With coveralls, mask and goggles, it was hot, even in balmy 65 degree weather, though.

Take a cheap shop vac with the small diameter hose (1"), get some extra hose, put the hose on the output of the vac so it's blowing, put the vac somewhere where it's getting clean (relatively) air, and tape the hose to your Tyvek. Done right, your paper suit will inflate a bit like a balloon, and you will be cool and happy (relatively). You can burn up the odd cheap vac like this.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 21:20   #12

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I cant tell if I like that idea because it sounds ingenious or because it sounds hilarious.....

I can just imagine the message left by concerned Marina staff..."Sir, are you aware that the state puff marshmallow man is cutting up your boat?"

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
core

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: