Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2012, 01:23   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

I don't think a generic list of spare parts is all that useful.

For example a spare alternator has mentioned. Useful on a lot of boats but not necessary if you get most of your power from solar.

Rather than just thinking about spare parts think instead about how you will manage if critical systems go down.

For example the anchor winch. A common failure.
Some simple parts like brushes or a spare solenoid are not are bad idea, but there are still plenty of failure modes that these spare parts would not cover.
If your boat is small it may be possible to manage the anchor by hand. For larger boats a backup system is needed. For example:

A manual retrieve option on the electric winch that works (may do not)
A system of snatch blocks that can lead back to sheet winches.
A lightweight Fortress anchor that could replace the bower anchor and be retrieved by hand.

Many of the above options have other uses (snatch blocks are always useful for example), but without this simple equipment and some thought beforehand, managing a large boat with an anchor winch failure could be very difficult.

I have only used the anchor winch as an example. Thinking about how you would manage without systems, and carrying, the often very simple equipment as a back up will generally make you more self sufficient than just a long list of spares.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:03   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Provisioning spares can be carried into the ridiculous, and we are certainly guilty of doing so ourselves, but you should be aware that throughout the entire Eastern Carib, there will be large, well-stocked chandleries everywhere that can provide most parts immediately and almost every imaginable part within 1 or 2 days. I'm talking large West Marine type stores. Those very rare and difficult to obtain parts can be shipped in pretty quickly from anywhere in the world for not much money (depending on which island).

You will definitely not be sailing away into lands requiring complete self sufficiency in the Eastern Carib.

I suspect most of Europe is the same.

Mark
Indeed, but one or two days -- or three or four if a weekend intervenes -- can be tough if the engine is not running or, even worse, plumbing doesn't work.

I have found it quite difficult to get Jabsco toilet spares in the West Country of the UK, and a non-functional toilet can really spoil your cruise.

So I carry spare pumps of all kinds -- water pressure, gray water, etc.
I have a huge collection of toilet spares from all of my Jabsco toilet problems, and am glad to have them. An entire spare Jabsco manual toilet pump in case the electric one fails; a complete rebuild kit for the Raritan electric toilet in the after heads. Spare water pipe, elbows, fittings of all kinds -- found out how much this is needed when my calorifier sprung a leak this spring -- jubilee clips, sanitary hose. Plumbing tools of all kinds.

Believe me, if you have a plumbing problem of any kind, you don't want to wait two or three days to get the part or tool you need!

Don't forget about plumbing!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:02   #33

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
If crossing big open waters some thought about what to do if the rudder fails. The spinnaker pole and a floor board are the popular answers but it would be a damn sight easier sorting it out whilst tied up along side a pontoon in the US than at sea.

Spare sails? we have a mint 100% genoa just incase which came from e bay. A sail maker extended the luff strip for us and now neatly folded up and stored away just incase.

Pete
What to do if the rudder fails has been our latest topic of discussion, so we are thinking about that. We just put new sails on the boat and are keeping the old sails as spares. They are a little tired but will work in a pinch.

Thanks,
Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe
I'd go with engine spares as follows:

Alternator
voltge regulator (can be simple)
starter solenoid
1 injector
raw water pump
4 impellers
6 primary fuel filters
4 oil filters
2 secondary fuel filters
4 specialized zincs
2 propshaft zincs
oil for 2 changes
marinetex
permatex gasket-in-a-tube

If you are sewing, get some tenara thread for the canvas, and some sailmaker's polyester thread. Some stickyback and some dacron for sail repair.

I agree that a spare pump is necessary for the pressure water system.

I also agree that it is best to mount the spare and make sure it works.
Good list, thanks.
Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds
I could skip most of the engine spares and learn how to sail without an engine. That would require backup systems, such as manual bilge pump, and manual fresh water pump. I would also have solar panels for redundancy of electrical power and even consider a small Honda generator such as E1000. We are so dependent on electrical systems now days. Preventative maintenance is how I would take care of most of the issue of spare engine parts. Check all belts, hoses, impellers, and through hulls for wear for instance and replace, and zincs. If I did have some engine spares, instead of antifreeze, I would use fresh water with a can of corrosion inhibitor for a short term fix unless headed for the high latitudes in winter. Enough oil for engine change, injectors, filters, refrigerant, charging equipment, propane regulator if such exists on the boat are engine spares I would probably take.

I would also check all standing rigging. Any chain plates, turnbuckles, made of stainless 304 or 316 I would replace if older than 10 to 15 years, especially in a warm climate like Florida. I would replace stainless standing rigging parts with silicon bronze. It may not stay pretty like stainless, but it does not suffer crevice corrosion. Silicon bronze fitting can be found under old wood boat parts. Any rust stains, even slight, on stainless is an indication of crevice corrosion. I would replace swaged fittings on stainless wire with Sta-lok or Norseman which are not as highly stressed as swaged and appear to last as long as the stainless wire. By the way stainless Sta-lik or Norseman, and silicon bronze are near enough on the galvanic scale that they are compatible.

Spares that I would carry are hand held GPS and VHS, kept in a faraday cage like a microwave in case of lightning strike.

As folks mentioned above, I would be more concerned about spare lumber, plywood, nuts, washers, screws, tape sail repair kit, light bulbs, a selection of tools to fit any fastener on the boat, multimeter, sealant, wire splicing, underwater epoxy, rescue tape, duct tape, electricians tape, fuses, and emergency fabric that can be pulled over the outside of the boat to cover any hole.
We are approaching this whole adventure with the philosophy that preventive maintenance is the best practice. Currently all of the standing rigging is being replaced. It was ten years old and probably would have lasted another 2-4 years. We are hoping to be able to cruise for 5-8 years, so knowing it was going to have to be replaced during this time frame we decided it would be better to do it now. We have also just replaced the sails. We are taking the time to throughly assess every system on the boat and take corrective action if we think it is required. This process has included starting a list of the spare parts and consumables (like filters, etc.) we think we should carry on board.

We are adding 4-130 watt solar panels. We think this will keep up with our power needs, but may consider adding a wind generators if they do not. My husband wants to put a small generator onboard to, but I thought it seemed like overkill, maybe not.

Thanks,
Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds
I could skip most of the engine spares and learn how to sail without an engine. That would require backup systems, such as manual bilge pump, and manual fresh water pump. I would also have solar panels for redundancy of electrical power and even consider a small Honda generator such as E1000. We are so dependent on electrical systems now days. Preventative maintenance is how I would take care of most of the issue of spare engine parts. Check all belts, hoses, impellers, and through hulls for wear for instance and replace, and zincs. If I did have some engine spares, instead of antifreeze, I would use fresh water with a can of corrosion inhibitor for a short term fix unless headed for the high latitudes in winter. Enough oil for engine change, injectors, filters, refrigerant, charging equipment, propane regulator if such exists on the boat are engine spares I would probably take.

I would also check all standing rigging. Any chain plates, turnbuckles, made of stainless 304 or 316 I would replace if older than 10 to 15 years, especially in a warm climate like Florida. I would replace stainless standing rigging parts with silicon bronze. It may not stay pretty like stainless, but it does not suffer crevice corrosion. Silicon bronze fitting can be found under old wood boat parts. Any rust stains, even slight, on stainless is an indication of crevice corrosion. I would replace swaged fittings on stainless wire with Sta-lok or Norseman which are not as highly stressed as swaged and appear to last as long as the stainless wire. By the way stainless Sta-lik or Norseman, and silicon bronze are near enough on the galvanic scale that they are compatible.

Spares that I would carry are hand held GPS and VHS, kept in a faraday cage like a microwave in case of lightning strike.

As folks mentioned above, I would be more concerned about spare lumber, plywood, nuts, washers, screws, tape sail repair kit, light bulbs, a selection of tools to fit any fastener on the boat, multimeter, sealant, wire splicing, underwater epoxy, rescue tape, duct tape, electricians tape, fuses, and emergency fabric that can be pulled over the outside of the boat to cover any hole.
As we start this new adventure our philosophy has been preventive maintenance is the best practice. To that end we are currently assessing every system on the boat and taking corrective action if we feel it is required. As part of this we are creating a list of what we believe we need to carry as spares or consumables (like filters, etc.) onboard.

We are currently replacing all of the standing rigging. It was ten years old and still was looking OK, we probably could have gone for another 2-4 years. We are hoping to be able to cruise for 5-8 years, since the rigging would need to be replaced during this period we decided to do it now. We have just replaced the sails as well, even though they had some life left as well.

We are adding four 130 watt solar panels. We believe they will keep up with our power needs, but if they do not we are considering adding a wind generator. My husband wanted to get a small Honda generator as well, but I thought that sounded like overkill, maybe not.

Thanks,
Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 07:52   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M
Perhaps, instead of soliciting opinions of others for such an important decision, you might try something a bit more complicated. Sit down with a pad of paper and a pen, or put an excel spreadsheet (or equivalent) on the monitor. Start inventorying every single item on the boat. You can do it piecemeal by starting in one location and document all the stuff there. Lights? Have a complete spare as well as bulbs. Toilet? How about a complete pump assembly AND then a spares kit. Once you have the item identified, ask yourself if you have or need the instructions to service it. Then, look in the troubleshooting or maintenance section of the instructions. Write down the suggested items (or, then, ask someone for suggestions) to have ready at hand. If there are too many items for your storage capacity, then prioritize what you already have down on paper or in memory, and begin to acquire it. You can then use the spreadsheet to locate where you will store said item should the time come to actually need it. The acquisition of spares is a very important requirement for cruising. Don't rely on your fellow sailors to do the hard work of making a list to fit your particular needs. Use their advice more for considering the priorities, but you are the one that will, most likely, have to determine the suitability for your own boat. Besides, a lot of this stuff gets really expensive, especially if it never gets used and takes up critical space where you could have carried more peanut butter.
As a matter of fact I have started an spreadsheet. Originally, I was just going to use it to keep tract of where things were stored on the boat (I designed it to cross-reference with a floor plan of the boat). As we have been going through the boat and assessing all of the systems, they spreadsheet has evolved to include so much more information than originally intended. Maybe not a complete inventory, but pretty extensive.

In addition, we have been downloading manuals for everything on the boat that we can find on the internet. So far everything we have found manuals for everything we've looked for.

Because our list was getting so long, I was afraid we were going over the top, so the request for recommendations was to give us a little perspective.

Thank you,
Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Robyn;

On some of the spare parts, check ebay. Up to you if you don't want OEM, but for some of what I've seen it's $500 for the yanmar model or $100 for the knock off, and I may never need it. Just something to think about it when the pricing adds up.
We actually use ebay a lot and have used it for some of our boat stuff. Heck, the last three cars we bought we got on ebay!
Thanks for the great advise!

Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 07:55   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Everything mentioned above are great to have ! but a couple of things I thought were missing are a Good sailmakers Palm, and couple of balls of good waxed line! Ya can use the waxed line for lots of needed repairs! and the Palm makes it a lot easier to fix tears and worn spots on your sails and covers !! just an old guys stuff to have aboard!
Not purchased yet, but on the first tier list of absolutely must haves.

Thanks,
Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by muammer
Tanıl Tuncel, S/Y Kelebek, once quoted:

"Even if you drag the exact replica of your boat, full of spare parts, behind you, it is not adequate!"

LOL, I hope we don't go that far!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason
Robyn

The thing about spare parts is availablilty, cost and space available...

We carry the usuaul filters, oils, belts, and zincs. We also carry spare nuts and bolts, sail repair stuff and some spare halyards and sheets.

We found that when we got to Mexico, they had no avaiable Fischer Panda parts, so I ordered a cruising kit from Florida, which arrived in three days, but Mexico decided to place a 25% duty on the stuff. In Costa Rica, engine oil was $40 US per gallon and they also had a very high duty on parts. In Mexico and Central America, chanderly stuff is usually about 25 to 50% more than US prices, depending on the items

I think you get the theme.... $$$$

Labor is not normally a factor, so carring extra alternators, injectors or starters for coastal cruising is a waste of space. I had my alternator rebuilt in Costa Rica for $125 US in two days. A friend had a starter rebuilt in Mexico in one day for $75 US.

Do some research through Noonsite.com or the guide books for the areas you are cruising. Then you can decide what to carry as spares based on availablity and cost at the places you are going.
Gottcha about the $$$$. I had not thought about Noonsite for that kind of info, thanks.

Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 07:59   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

remember there are altrnatives to chandleries and expensive parts--rebuilding old ones is a good idea--when old one burns out dont pitch it--is a good core if nothing else for a new one or rebuild old one for pennies on dollar here. makes a difference.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Here are few more threads with a few more ideas - one can get quite carried away with lists...

spares cruising - Google Search
Thanks for the links. I agree one can get quite carried away!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

I carry a Scanmar SOS emergency rudder, with the brackets already mounted.

I carry the minimum amount of spares for the diesel: impeller, belts, filters, hose clamps.

I carry the maximum amount of spares for sailing hardware, starting with four huge heavy-duty snatch blocks, and ending with several hundred dollars worth of assorted shackles.

I put a lot more faith in system redundancy (such as installing dual racor filters) than in carrying spares, and in being able to repare gear rather than replace it. Do I carry a spare bilge pump? No. But I've got four bilge pumps to begin with, counting the manual pump and the portable emergency backup pump.

I do carry a spare freshwater demand pump. Pumps are temporary, as far as I'm concerned.
Redundancy is a good thing and we prefer this when it is a viable option. As an example, we are putting on a windvane that in our view is for a backup for the rudder and autopilot. But we think we still need another option for the rudder.

Thanks,
Robyn
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15   #45

Thank you everyone for all of your comments.

Robyn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: