Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 11:39   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Recommendations of Boatyards for Painting?

I'm posting this again, because I think user error messed up my first attempt; I'm really hoping to get some advice from people who have had their boats painted recently:

I love my 36 foot Pearson, but she's showing her age. In the last two years my upgrades have been piecemeal to address must-do items like engine over-heat, leaking portlights, non-working VHF, dangerously thin (from repeated sanding) cabin-top grabrails, and the like. But now I am getting to the point, financially, where making the old girl look new again is beginning to look possible and desirable.

My problem is that finding a painting contractor who both is competent and price competitive is tough where I live (southeast North Carolina) because there aren't many choices. I got a quote from a local boatyard, but it was a) expensive, and b) some boat owners who had dealt with that yard told me I'd be sorry if I went with them. From where I am, I can either go north to Oriental / Beaufort, or south to almost anywhere, even Florida. My thought next year is a Bahamas trip departing from Miami (did one this year to the Abacos), so going to FL this winter/spring might be okay.

So my question is: Who has had a great experience recently with a yard or contractor painting their boat's topsides, and where was it? Anywhere between eastern NC and FL is okay. Any information you would like to share about cost would be appreciated.

By the way, I have painted wooden dinghies with primer and Brightsides, and I can't say I'm very good at it. I'm pretty sure I'd be no better applying Awlgrip, and I'm pretty sure my wife would agree....

All input is welcome.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Recommendations of Boatyards for Painting?

This may be a long shot, but no one else has posted, so here goes. Check out the Eau Gallie Yacht Basin Eau Gallie Yacht Basin in Melborne. As I understand it, they've bought the adjoining Eau Gallie Boatworks and have set it up as a DIY yard, with haulout and the option for you to hire a contractor of your choice. Before the move, we had excellent work done in the yard, so I know there are good people around. A few telephone calls might set you up. Good luck with it.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:48   #3

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Re: Recommendations of Boatyards for Painting?

Thanks Tkeithlu, I anchored next to Eau Gallie Bridge just last month. I'll check it out.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boatyards, men, paint