Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 10:57   #31
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Re: Recommendations for Non Skid Decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I'll throw in my $0.02, since we're in the middle of the project.

If your non-skid is still there, just tape it off (use a GOOD quality 3M tape, like a green tape, or it will bleed), scratch it up with maroon 3M pads, then paint with a 2 part like Interlux Perfection (it rolls on), with Intergrip mixed in (you DO have to keep mixing it, or you will get patterns). Then on the second coat (you can apply the same day, based upon temperature, so you don't have to pull the tape), mix 1/2 and 1/2 with the Perfection deglosser. No Intergrip in the second coat. Turned out AMAZING.
Are you coating over smooth gelcoat?
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 11:13   #32

Quote:

If your non-skid is still there, just tape it off (use a GOOD quality 3M tape, like a green tape, or it will bleed), scratch it up with maroon 3M pads, then paint with a 2 part like Interlux Perfection (it rolls on), with Intergrip mixed in (you DO have to keep mixing it, or you will get patterns). Then on the second coat (you can apply the same day, based upon temperature, so you don't have to pull the tape), mix 1/2 and 1/2 with the Perfection deglosser. No Intergrip in the second coat. Turned out AMAZING.
What if the non-skid has been painted already with 1-part polyurethane? Interlux tell you you can't put 2 part on top of 1 part. So then your options are to either take all the paint off down to the non-skid (impractical) or to go with the 1-part Interlux Interdeck.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 12:57   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Re: Recommendations for non-skid decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

Treadmaster is certainly one of the best non-skids available, but as noted before it is very hard on bare feet so I wouldn't have it on my boat. I do barefootin'
I went full treadmaster on the last boat and never felt like it was too hard on the feet, even new. I actually kinda thought it felt pretty good on bare feet.

It was expensive to do, however.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 13:15   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
What if the non-skid has been painted already with 1-part polyurethane? Interlux tell you you can't put 2 part on top of 1 part. So then your options are to either take all the paint off down to the non-skid (impractical) or to go with the 1-part Interlux Interdeck.
You are absolutely correct. You can't put 2 part over 1 part. In that case, I'd probably use Brightside with Intergrip. But Interdeck is fine. The 1 part won't last as long.

To tell if you have 1 or 2 part, soak a rag with a 2 part reducer (someone in your marina probably has some) and cover it with plastic and tape it to the non-skid. If it lifts after sitting overnight, it's 1 part.

And yes, to answer the other question, our non-skid is a 2-part painted molded diamond pattern.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 15:59   #35

Quote:

Thats my vote too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 16:28   #36
tsl

I have a 1/4 " pyramid pattern that was painted long ,long, ago with a flat paint. Now it's even flatter. I need to repaint due to other modifications. Why not just use a flat paint again? I'm happy with the grip of the old stuff.

yes, I'll check to see if it is two part.
Old 26-06-2012, 18:32   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I have a 1/4 " pyramid pattern that was painted long ,long, ago with a flat paint. Now it's even flatter. I need to repaint due to other modifications. Why not just use a flat paint again? I'm happy with the grip of the old stuff.

yes, I'll check to see if it is two part.
When you say "flatter" - that's a degree of definition. 2 part paints are generally high-gloss paint. You have to de-gloss them with a clear additive, that is also 2 part, but no pigment. This mix goes on as the last coat. 1:1 yields "High-semi-gloss". 2:1 (flattener to paint) yields "Low-semi-gloss". Takes a bit to get to "Flat", and it probably doesn't cover well.
Old 26-06-2012, 19:45   #38
tsl

Thanks bsteep. I've been in paint most of my life. Ran a paint factory. I understand what they are doing with the paint. The "Flattener" is just an easy way for customers to adjust gloss on site. You are right, It likely can't produce a dead flat paint. One would likely need to grind it into the paint at the factory. There may be a marine system out there that can achieve dead flat. "I'm searching "
What I'm trying to get my head around is this; Is there and absolute need to add grip agents to the paint? I see all sorts of new boats without such treatment with non-skid molded in. Are we saying that such a treatment is unseaworthy and some kind of a treatment is necessarily?
When I said Flatter now , I meant that whatever paint that had been used years ago, the sun has lowered it's gloss even further. I want this same gloss (Dead Flat) from day one. It can be achieved but it's the outcome that I am concerned about.
Old 26-06-2012, 19:55   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks bsteep. I've been in paint most of my life. Ran a paint factory. I understand what they are doing with the paint. The "Flattener" is just an easy way for customers to adjust gloss on site. You are right, It likely can't produce a dead flat paint. One would likely need to grind it into the paint at the factory. There may be a marine system out there that can achieve dead flat. "I'm searching "
What I'm trying to get my head around is this; Is there and absolute need to add grip agents to the paint? I see all sorts of new boats without such treatment with non-skid molded in. Are we saying that such a treatment is unseaworthy and some kind of a treatment is necessarily?
When I said Flatter now , I meant that whatever paint that had been used years ago, the sun has lowered it's gloss even further. I want this same gloss (Dead Flat) from day one. It can be achieved but it's the outcome that I am concerned about.
Even with molded-in non-skid, once you put paint on it, it loses grip. It REALLY depends on what you do with the boat. If you take it offshore, you REALLY, REALLY need to put something into it. Ours, with the Intergrip in it, still isn't completely non-skid. Just way better than slick fiberglass. But it's still not super-grippy.
Old 26-06-2012, 20:26   #40
tsl

Got it. Too much paint filling the pattern can't be good so just painting it with flat paint just to see how it feels does not sound wise.

I'm taking your advise and put the Intergrip in it.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 26-06-2012, 20:36   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Got it. Too much paint filling the pattern can't be good so just painting it with flat paint just to see how it feels does not sound wise.

I'm taking your advise and put the Intergrip in it.

Thanks all for the help.
That's pretty much it. I kind of hoped that I could go over the pattern with new paint, but it just doesn't cut it. Being honest, the diamond pattern isn't great to start with.