Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 20:43   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
recognize this opening port?

I have a number of these and several leak slightly. I would like to replace the foamed neoprene?? gasket but I do not see any marking on the ports. Does anyone recognize these and have any idea where I can get replacement gaskets?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port - inside.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	102862   Click image for larger version

Name:	port - outside.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	102863  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 02:42   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: recognize this opening port?

Sailorman Ed,

They look like our Lewmar ports. So far, greasing the gaskets has kept ours sealing, but we have had a couple of leaks from the exterior where the frame comes together. Jim removed the frames and added sealant, and so far, so good. If you have questitons for him, send him a PM.

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 22:44   #3

Boat: 55' sloop.

Agree with Ann. The pictured portlight is almost certainly Lewmar.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:53   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Thanks Ann - I will send Jim a PM to gain his knowledge (at least on this part). I finally got most of the large windows back in and addressing these minor leaks is moving up on the priority.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50   #5
cruiser

I have had good luck reinvigorating impossible to find gaskets on my ports by using this stuff:

Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:51   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sailorman Ed,

They look like our Lewmar ports. So far, greasing the gaskets has kept ours sealing, but we have had a couple of leaks from the exterior where the frame comes together. Jim removed the frames and added sealant, and so far, so good. If you have questitons for him, send him a PM.

Ann

THey are Lewmar and built between 1980 and 1988 with a design/manufaturing defect in that there are unused screwholes into the inner frame that allow water to enter via the area where the latches operate. lewmar 'fix is to remove as much seal from the outside frame's half joins and re-seal the join with fresh sealant. We have 11 of these ports and it took two attempts to reseal successfully (we had previously replaced all the seals in the opening part without success, also tried greasing the seals, what a mess that made!) OK we eventually achieved 99% success even after Florida thunderstorms.

Then we came across portlight visor 'eyebrows' from Seaworthy which are designed to allow ports to be left open in rains. We figured they would also lessen the amount of water attacking the frame joins. Anyway we bought 11 of them for our Oceanis 36CC and fitted them 3 weeks ago since when not one drop of water has got through inside despite record rainfalls. Excellent and not too pricey, our 11, 3 26 inch and 8 15 inch cost under $500 totalwith shipping and fitting was a doddle apart from one operator cockup where I hadn't noticed that a side deck lazarette hatch lid would not open fully with the very aft cabin ones in place ( cured by a subtle trim with a tile cutter bit on a Dremel) No relationship with Seaworthy other than being a happy customer. Lewmar portlight design changed in 1999 but not before 1000's pof the mk 1 versions were sold and fitted worldwide.

http://http://www.seaworthygoods.com/

I cannot put pics on here but they are posted on a thread in another forum here

http://http://www.life-aboard.com/fo....php?f=6&t=583 edited because this link does not work it seems
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:45   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

try this link for pics of portlight visor over our lewmar portlights.

New portlight visors - Liveaboard Forum - Life Aboard
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote