Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-12-2009, 04:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I had the crane weigh me when we lifted out in October of 2008, he said Sabre Dance was 20,800. I wish I could get an accurate weight.
My experience here in OZ is that a crane weighing can be off by as much than 750 kg, you will know the accurate weight when the boat float at the design water line, the weight can also be calculated, an exacting task but very rewarding because then you know exactly the weight distribution of the craft.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:02   #17

By the way I noticed that you are using magnetic clamp. I try not to use them. Welding and working the steel allready produce enough magnetism without having to introduce some more with clamps.

Old 30-12-2009, 11:34   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Nice project Pirate. I think I would enjoy working on a steel boat and I know I would enjoy the security the hull provides. That said, I'll keep turning perfectly good pieces of wood into sawdust for Oh Joy.
Old 14-03-2010, 15:14   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Finally some more progress

I have been working on little things for a while, but I finally started making progress on getting the old cockpit location decked over.

I recycled some of the steel that I cut out of the cockpit to make ribs for the cabin top. The coachroof ribs are 2 1/2" X 3.16" and have a camber that makes bending these out of the question, so I used the plasma cutter to cut them out.

I started with a cardboard template taken off of the existing coachroof.

I used this to cut the curves on the first rib.

After cleaning up the top edge I clamped it to the steel for use as a templete to cut the reaminding two ribs that I need.

Here are the Plasma Cutter and Welder I have. It pays to be able to cart these things around when needed, rather than try to pick them up.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 16:20   #20

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I agree, having your equipment mobile is soooo much easier. I have a back thats going from bad to worse, so I have to pay special attention to that. My boat is out in a field, so a genny is required to get the power for the welder. Getting it in and out of the truck is a royal pain in the patoot, so I've made it into a wheel barrow. I have a plank that rests on the bumper, secured by the ball hitch, and with the tail gate off, the genny can be rolled right in to the back of my pickup. The same for the compressor (although that was designed as a wheelbarrow to begin with).

I'm drooling over your deck gantry, and I'm going to have to build something similar to get the welder and other gear up on deck. In my case I'll build it out of 4x4s with a track for a movable block n tackle. I have a section of traveller and the car as surplus off another boat, which will do the job just fine. My main sheet will work for the block n tackle.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 16:28   #21
cruiser

I'm currently doing a similar job on a 38 ft Finot.
Check the discussion on Skeg failures on metalboatsociety.org
The Roberts 38 is often described as the best boat Roberts ever came up with.
Make sure you leave at least a half inch of foam covering every bit of metal, including the edges of the frames. A piece of bare steel the size of your fingernail will drip like a leaky faucet.
Give yourself an inside steering seat. Don't be a masochist.
Great to see all that steel was properly epoxied at the outset.
Old 13-07-2010, 14:39   #22

Boat: Roberts 38 steel
Rusty Pirate ...
you are an intrepid soul. That work is not for the faint of heart.
And charliecobra ... I was in that world for 18 years, a beautiful H-28 in mahogony, double planked, copper rivited. Cruised all the Chesapeake Bay. I felt like every piece of wood was just looking for an excuse to rot away. I got so caught up in varnish that I could not see straight. I let the boat go for a song as I could not find any hard-core wooden boat lovers in the area.

I just bought a Roberts 38 in steel built in California. Initial survey at launch in 2003 was impressive. Hope the current survey is the same. Here's a link.
2003 Custom Roberts 38C Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

cheers,
miller
Old 14-07-2010, 21:29   #23

Hi Guys...
been a long time....
Jannali , my 38 roberts offshore is just waiting for a weather window....

Way too much information to post right now but any 38 offshore owners are welcome to PM me.....

cheers
Old 18-07-2010, 22:00   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
By the way I noticed that you are using magnetic clamp. I try not to use them. Welding and working the steel allready produce enough magnetism without having to introduce some more with clamps.
I recently tried welding an eye on a speaker magnet. Man I've never seen weld metal act so wierdly. They'd be good for tacking, but I wouldn't weld with a magnet on.
Old 20-07-2010, 00:41   #25

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Good work. It is a good idea to strip out a steel hull every twenty five years or so to check on corrosion! Am about to embark on the same task myself, and am not looking forward to it, having built the boat 25 years ago I know how much work it will be.
Regards, Richard.
Old 12-09-2010, 13:22   #26

Boat: Roberts 38 steel
steelin' away

rustypirate ....
I admire your tenacity in taking on such a project ... I had a wooded ketch (H-28) for 18 years that litterally 'ate my lunch' in constant repair and maintenance; it did'nt help that I developed a varnish 'bug' thta led me to strip and varnish everything ....
Ah a great ship that was left to another owner in Annapolis when I headed to Az ....

took a while but I finally found my steel dream. I'm a bit old to start on someone else's project so I looked for something that wa scomplete and only needed a bit of care to get her out to sea....

Luck was with me and I found this beauty (ZESTER) down in San Carlos... a Roberts 38 built by Charles Lindberg, a welding engineer in Ca. She is beautiful io every detail ...

I've included some of her pics, they might be helpful in yuor planin g stages ....

good luck to you and as Boracay sez "Rust never Sleeps"

cheers,
miller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	19167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin sole plate 2.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	19168  

Name:	hull_1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	19169   Click image for larger version

Name:	quarterberth.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	19170  

Name:	saab diesel.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19171   Click image for larger version

Name:	at anchor.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	19172  

Old 13-09-2010, 17:49   #27
cruiser

Colvin's Gazzelle is listed at 22,000lbs . A friend recently had his weighed. It came out to 32,000 lbs.

Tags
bruce roberts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: