Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 04:04   #1

Boat: Albin 35 CB
Rebuilding ports - which sealant to use

I'm rebuilding 16 ports on our Brewer 44. I have laminated safety glass (local auto glass cut for $15 a piece) and stainiless ports. I've ordered the new gasket and I'm ready to go except for the sealant to use to bed the glass in place. I'm being directed to use Sikaflex 296 which requires two additional products; one to clean the port and a bonding solution to activate the Sikaflex. I know I have to be careful which sealant to use since I'm using glass with stainless. I would like to know what other products are out there. Also what do you use to seal the rubber gasket in place too. Thanks.
Old 21-03-2012, 04:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Rebuilding ports - which sealant to use

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF. Deedee.

All of the conventional adhesive sealants are compatible with Stainless Steel and Mineral Glass.
Sikaflex 296 (or 296UV) is an excellent one-part polyurethane adhesive, specifically designed for bonding windows to marine vessel body shells (direct frameless glazing).

See ➥ Sika Australia Pty Ltd | Australia

"The foremost discussion of sucessful window installation is of course cleanliness and preparation of all bonding surfaces. This includes the use of special primers recommended by the manufacturer of the selected sealant / adhesive ..."

See ➥ http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/window.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:44   #3

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Dow Corning 795 Silicone Building Sealant and GE SCS 2000 SilPruf Weather Seal are two additional products that are used for applications such as yours.

The 795 and SCS 2000 are stand-alone products, so they are less complicated to use than the Sika.

Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

See also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dows-4526.html

And ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ows-16060.html

And ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ect-27046.html

Old 21-03-2012, 05:34   #5

I'm currently redoing all of the gaskets on my old Bomar cast bronze port lights.

The gaskets I'm using (part # P100-52) come with a strip of double-sided tape already stuck to them. The idea is that all you have to do is tape them onto the port light, but it did not inspire confidence as a good enough means for creating a water tight bond between the gasket and the bronze. The originals were glued, and I take a good deal of green water on deck over the course of a season - not to mention the 30 seasons that the old gaskets lasted.

I called Hamilton Marine and spoke with a very knowledgeable guy named Kent who advised that I use Sikaflex 221 to glue them in. Of course proper preparation of the surface is just as important as using the right glue. Kent's best advice was that I make a seemingly over-sized scarf joint (at least two inches) to join the ends together.
spendyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 06:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, spendyrun.

Sika 221 is a fine General Purpose product, but not intended for marine use.

See www.bluemoment.com/downloads/sikaflexmarinehandbook.pdf

Old 21-03-2012, 06:14   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosiepie View Post
I'm rebuilding 16 ports on our Brewer 44. I have laminated safety glass (local auto glass cut for $15 a piece) and stainiless ports. I've ordered the new gasket and I'm ready to go except for the sealant to use to bed the glass in place. I'm being directed to use Sikaflex 296 which requires two additional products; one to clean the port and a bonding solution to activate the Sikaflex. I know I have to be careful which sealant to use since I'm using glass with stainless. I would like to know what other products are out there. Also what do you use to seal the rubber gasket in place too. Thanks.
You may find the Sika cleaning product is essentially isopropyl alcohol; it is not hard to check, if it smells like isopropyl alcohol then it probably is.

FWIW, I used Sika products (a primer and a sealer) to re-bed my fixed ports about 8 years back and so far they are holding up well i.e. no leaks

The primer was expensive and the experts said it should / must be used so I did. The cost has long been forgotten!

PS, welcome aboard.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:22   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41

I like the Dow Corning 795. The Sikaflex did not work for me. I think it was operator error though. The Dow is easier and cheaper and has worked.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant