Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 08:43   #1
Registered User
 
CR38's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: OBX, NC
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
Posts: 157
Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

So what would be a reasonable hourly rate to pay for exterior teak refinishing work in the Annapolis area? Technical Maintenance runs about $90/hour but I am assuming teak work should be dramatically less expensive. Also, if anyone has a reliable source for this work then I'd welcome a reference.
__________________

CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:49   #2
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,976
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
So what would be a reasonable hourly rate to pay for exterior teak refinishing work in the Annapolis area? Technical Maintenance runs about $90/hour but I am assuming teak work should be dramatically less expensive. Also, if anyone has a reliable source for this work then I'd welcome a reference.
What?!?!?

You're getting behind on your exterior brightwork on a 38CR???



(she'll be the purdyest thing around when done though!)
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:51   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 20,020
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Find some young guy living on his rich dad's boat. Or at least some guy living aboard!Pay him $15+ an hour if he's experienced. I found 2 brothers doing that. They maintained their dad's boat. They did my 47 exterior in less than a week.
Start asking around the marina etc. Also look for poster boards at marinas and west marine etc. Beware, there are varnishing "wannabees" out there, ask to see a boat they did if you want to be careful!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 09:18   #4
Registered User
 
CR38's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: OBX, NC
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
Posts: 157
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

The CR38 is in pretty good shape. I think I can handle the upkeep on that boat. It is the Sea Sprite 30 that needs a more experienced hand to get it right the first time. After that I should be able to maintain.

S/V SeaSprite
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 09:44   #5
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,116
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

boatyards often don't like it, but if you can find a big boatyard and find the guys doing brightwork, you can strike up a side conversation and see if they'll be willing to moonlight for cash. A family member had all the exterior varnish stripped and coated on a bermuda 40 for about $4G that way
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 15:25   #6
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 12,240
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

A caution, do not pay up front for the whole job. Had an acquaintance who did, and the varnishers only did one side of the boat! I'd hope to find someone who could make a referral, and see what you think of them.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 15:42   #7
Registered User
 
jr_spyder's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston area
Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Posts: 242
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

You must not have this in Annoplus


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 17:39   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

I wish I could be encouraging, but teak work in the Annapolis area commands a pretty steep hourly rate. You might be able to find an independent to do it for cheaper ... I'm tempted to say you get what you pay for, but actually in the marine biz, you almost always get raked and boarded -- lots of very pricey, very crapping workmanship out there.

Better off doing it yourself. In any case, forget the varnish -- 4 coats of Cetol Natural Teak (24 hours drying between coats) and two coats of Cetol gloss on top (also 24 hours drying). It will look pretty good and last 4 years in the Chesapeake.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 19:15   #9
Registered User
 
jr_spyder's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston area
Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Posts: 242
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Oops, funny start to this post. I was sitting at a bar using my iPhone reading/responding to CF and my wife came in...

Anyway here's what I wanted to say:

You must not have this in Annapolis but in the Newport area there are these teams of "Island Guys" from various Caribbean islands that come up for the summer and roam the docks to do brightwork. Most have been around for a while and have known reputations. Rates are highly negotiable but approximately $25/hr is the avg. My teak guy feels like part of the family now as every year he does the work with great passion and great entertainment.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 19:33   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Duluth,Minnesota
Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Posts: 1,032
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I wish I could be encouraging, but teak work in the Annapolis area commands a pretty steep hourly rate. You might be able to find an independent to do it for cheaper ... I'm tempted to say you get what you pay for, but actually in the marine biz, you almost always get raked and boarded -- lots of very pricey, very crapping workmanship out there.

Better off doing it yourself. In any case, forget the varnish -- 4 coats of Cetol Natural Teak (24 hours drying between coats) and two coats of Cetol gloss on top (also 24 hours drying). It will look pretty good and last 4 years in the Chesapeake.
The marine business is no different than many others, I just had dental work, cost me over $800 for 1 1/2 hrs of work for 2 people, the skill level required was no different than auto body work with smaller tools. A skilled wood refinisher should command an hourly rate on par with, say the technician who would replace the stinky hoses to your head, or who would awlgrip your hull, or strip, interprotect and apply bottom paint. Understand, im talking about a skilled worker who can show you examples of quality work and and satisfied customers, not some wannabe. When I look around at varnish work I see a lot more crap work than good so you should not begrudge paying for skilled work. If all you need is a warm body to do the work you don't want to then by all means go cheap.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 19:58   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 129
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Varnish work is pretty time consuming and labor intensive if it has to be taken down to bare wood and then multiple coats built up and sanding in between you can end up with a lot of hours of labor. Look around your marina for the boats with nice looking bright work and get references ....or just do it yourself and save a lot of money.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1409367460.588602.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	87381


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 20:00   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
maxingout's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Pierce, Phoenix
Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Posts: 2,621
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

I am willing to fly in and do your teak for $200 per hour.
__________________
Dave -Sailing Vessel Exit Only

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:30   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
The marine business is no different than many others, I just had dental work, cost me over $800 for 1 1/2 hrs of work for 2 people, the skill level required was no different than auto body work with smaller tools. A skilled wood refinisher should command an hourly rate on par with, say the technician who would replace the stinky hoses to your head, or who would awlgrip your hull, or strip, interprotect and apply bottom paint. Understand, im talking about a skilled worker who can show you examples of quality work and and satisfied customers, not some wannabe. When I look around at varnish work I see a lot more crap work than good so you should not begrudge paying for skilled work. If all you need is a warm body to do the work you don't want to then by all means go cheap.

Steve.
Actually, the brightwork is not much of a worry -- a crappy job doesn't compromise the boat. Unfortunately the shoddy work in the biz doesn't end there - it extends to critical systems. Better off doing it yourself, then at least it's you &%$!up and it didn't cost a fortune.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:32   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
Varnish work is pretty time consuming and labor intensive if it has to be taken down to bare wood and then multiple coats built up and sanding in between you can end up with a lot of hours of labor. Look around your marina for the boats with nice looking bright work and get references ....or just do it yourself and save a lot of money.Attachment 87381


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The problem is that it won't last. There's no magic bullet, as I have learned the hard way. Cetol for sanity, I say. And throw-away brushes. It will be beautiful from 10 meters away.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 06:26   #15
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,116
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

I am tempted to go Semco throughout once my varnish breaks down. All I have is handrails and toerail. Anyone with experience with this?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
maintenance

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hourly Rate For Captain unbusted67 Boat Ownership & Making a Living 46 28-07-2011 10:20
Refinishing Teak Decks rourkeh Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 27-07-2010 08:41
Refinishing Interior Teak - Hand-Rubbed Poly Good? Herrick Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 23-01-2010 15:54
Hourly Cost to Run a Diesel Engine? Chipg Engines and Propulsion Systems 15 28-12-2009 13:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.