Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 06:02   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Real World Experiences With Spring Cushions Belowdecks

I'm looking for anyone who has had standard coil spring cushions in service for a complete lifespan. I knew one gal who who made matresses for her boat but after the second time she sunk her boat, I didn't think was a fair comparison. Googled I find a lot of people saying it is a bad thing? But nobody saying they had problems with spring failure or rust problems from humid conditions. I'm doing a trial run with the cushions in my Morgan. I'm trying several different methods of construction, painting some. Vinyl coating the bottom on part,leaving some as is. All are wrapped with topgun premium waterproof canvas and have toppers that snap on and can be removed for machine washing and drying. Foam has a max 5 year useful lifespan, when in use fulltime. I'm real curious to see what the springs look like in 5.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:16   #2

Boat: Kristen 52
Re: Real World Experiences With Spring Cushions Belowdecks

You might want to take a look at theseFroli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC I don't have these yet, but this looks like what I would use.

Chuck
Old 19-01-2013, 09:52   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Wink Re: Real World Experiences With Spring Cushions Belowdecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
You might want to take a look at theseFroli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC I don't have these yet, but this looks like what I would use.

Chuck

Lol I do canvas work for a living. I have this roll of topgun that I got in lieu of cash for doing a warranty job for a manufacterer. The poly batting is left over from last cushion job. The springs and edgewire were free from mattresses on craigslist curb alert. With a couple clean old blankets the only thing I paid cash for is the top layer of the pads which came up 8 yards or around $80 to do all the cushions belowdecks. I think Froli may want a little more than that.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions