Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 14:22   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Re-Welding Stainless Tanks?

JBWeld is good stuff. I'd guess better than Devcon, although I'll use Devcon without any hesitation.

In the woirst case you could probably even use silicone seal, that will stick pretty well. And that can also be reinforced with "mesh". I've used silicon seal, which normally doesn't like high heat, reinforced with stainless wool as an exhaust pipe bandage. Worked better than any of the "muffler patch" products on the market, go figure.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31   #77
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I did a quick check of the local hardware suppliers yesterday to see what's in stock. JB Weld is in good supply, with three different types to choose from. The original in two equal tubes, a new version that sets up in 6 minutes in two tubes, and a metal epoxy repair putty in the usual stick that you pinch off and knead together. None of these really lend themselves to using glass mat or cloth, which is what I would expect to be using on a rusted out type of leak. but they might do the job on porous structural leaks. And from what I have seen on the holding tank I removed, I am expecting this leak to be at a weld when I finally get it out of the boat and can take a look at it. Most likely where the 1.5" fill tube

The stick epoxy putty says it cures underwater. I like the sound of that, and I've had very good results with the company's products in the past.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:20   #78
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The stuff you pinch and knead is often sold as "plumbers' epoxy" and seals pipe leaks very nicely. Sets up rock hard in about 20 minutes. IF you go with the JBWeld, the fast set might have an advantage, less time to drip off vertical surfaces. Somewhat easier to brush that on, than to push-smear-stick the putty? Although the putty certainly won't drip. Once it starts to get hot and kick off--stop. Make up a new batch.
Old 11-11-2014, 19:40   #79
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Just to reiterate, here is the product description from the link I posted earlier-

Versatile, easy-to-use, multi-metal epoxy adhesive
Two-part adhesive and filler system that eliminates the need for welding or brazing
Sets in four minutes with no clamping needed
Resistant to water and solvents, with a permanent strength up to 4500 PSI
Suggested Applications: Ideal for complex, multi-piece assemblies. Bonds rigid materials including aluminum, brass, chrome, copper, iron, stainless steel, steel. Use to seal welded seams, fills metal cracks, mount metal components

It's $6.29 on Amazon with Prime. It does exactly what it says. It's much more liquid than JB weld or stick putties, really gets into cracks and seals much better. Still thick enough to fill holes though, about mayo consistency...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05   #80
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The stuff you pinch and knead is often sold as "plumbers' epoxy" and seals pipe leaks very nicely. Sets up rock hard in about 20 minutes. IF you go with the JBWeld, the fast set might have an advantage, less time to drip off vertical surfaces. Somewhat easier to brush that on, than to push-smear-stick the putty? Although the putty certainly won't drip. Once it starts to get hot and kick off--stop. Make up a new batch.
The pinch stuff I am looking at in stock here is also made by or for JB Weld.
It's advertised specifically for patching metal.

here's some info for it:
Amazon.com: J-B Weld 8267-S SteelStik Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Stick - 2 oz: Automotive

The Permatex product that Minaret references also looks pretty good, although I have not been able to find it in stock here on the island yet. keep in mind that for me to import $7. worth of glue from Amazon will cost me substantially more than that.

for example, I will have to have it shipped to our forwarder/consolidator in Florida first. So figure a Fed Ex or UPS normal delivery bill of something like $10, Amazon to Sarasota. Usually, the Amazon suppliers don't ship internationally, so I have to go thru a US company who will be my US mailing address, and will export the product for me. So we're up to $16.

Then we have the International Shipping on something like this. Via courier like Fed Ex, UPS or DHL, the minimum starts around $50. That's for an envelope from the US to the Turks and Caicos. So now we're up to $65.

Customs duty here is fairly simple, a rate plus a surcharge. Works out to 46% of the value of the item being imported. Not much in this case, since it's a six dollar item. Multiply that by.46 and add it and that's another three bucks, rounded up so now we're up to $68. OH, I almost forgot, Fed Ex, DHL, UPS all charge a $ 25 clearance and handling fee for each shipment they handle. So if all I send down in the shipment is the epoxy, add that handling fee for a grand total in the neighborhood of $ 93 my cost for the Permatex epoxy from Amazon, if I just ordered that to be sent to me.

See why I'm looking for stuff already in stock here?

Stuff I can do: Have it sent to someone who is flying down and have them bring it to me in their luggage. No real costs, but a long wait to get it. I've never been much of a disciple of delayed gratification, and am not very good at waiting months to save a few bucks. I want it NOW. Every time.

I can also save money on the shipping and handling fee if I have the people in Florida hang onto the glue until I order a number of other things. They will consolidate the shipments into one box. This helps with the Fed Ex, and the $ 25 at this end handling fee is for the whole box of goodies so that get's spread out. But then I'm back to waiting until I am importing a bunch of other stuff at the same time. Again, that might not be for some time yet. and the cost for the epoxy is still very high.

Sorry to be on a rant. We just returned to the island after 9 weeks in Colorado etc. and the cost of living here just slapped us in the face afresh. We'll get over it.
Old 12-11-2014, 19:08   #81

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Or you can simply plan ahead--buy it at the next convenient spot, and keep it on the boat for emergency repairs.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 04:08   #82
One of Those

There are no convenient spots.
Old 13-11-2014, 07:34   #83

Boat: Seafarer36c

You might be obsessing over what brand of glue to use. Someone earlier in your post said that Devcon glue is no good.. Devcon makes an extensive line of products from horse hoof glue to very fancy industrial epoxy and rubbers. Point is, use what you can get because the difference between two brands of putty stick is probably not much.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 10:02   #84
One of Those

Nah, I think that must be getting misread. My whole point is to use the JB Weld because it's already in stock right here. I'm familiar with the brand. Looks like it might do the job. Devcon a second choice, I have no strong opinions on them, and Do It Center store brand is a third option. That's sort of my own perception of quality levels for the items stocked here. Not what they might manufacture and stock somewhere else.
Old 13-11-2014, 19:52   #85
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
The pinch stuff I am looking at in stock here is also made by or for JB Weld.
It's advertised specifically for patching metal.

here's some info for it:
Amazon.com: J-B Weld 8267-S SteelStik Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Stick - 2 oz: Automotive

The Permatex product that Minaret references also looks pretty good, although I have not been able to find it in stock here on the island yet. keep in mind that for me to import $7. worth of glue from Amazon will cost me substantially more than that.

for example, I will have to have it shipped to our forwarder/consolidator in Florida first. So figure a Fed Ex or UPS normal delivery bill of something like $10, Amazon to Sarasota. Usually, the Amazon suppliers don't ship internationally, so I have to go thru a US company who will be my US mailing address, and will export the product for me. So we're up to $16.

Then we have the International Shipping on something like this. Via courier like Fed Ex, UPS or DHL, the minimum starts around $50. That's for an envelope from the US to the Turks and Caicos. So now we're up to $65.

Customs duty here is fairly simple, a rate plus a surcharge. Works out to 46% of the value of the item being imported. Not much in this case, since it's a six dollar item. Multiply that by.46 and add it and that's another three bucks, rounded up so now we're up to $68. OH, I almost forgot, Fed Ex, DHL, UPS all charge a $ 25 clearance and handling fee for each shipment they handle. So if all I send down in the shipment is the epoxy, add that handling fee for a grand total in the neighborhood of $ 93 my cost for the Permatex epoxy from Amazon, if I just ordered that to be sent to me.

See why I'm looking for stuff already in stock here?

Stuff I can do: Have it sent to someone who is flying down and have them bring it to me in their luggage. No real costs, but a long wait to get it. I've never been much of a disciple of delayed gratification, and am not very good at waiting months to save a few bucks. I want it NOW. Every time.

I can also save money on the shipping and handling fee if I have the people in Florida hang onto the glue until I order a number of other things. They will consolidate the shipments into one box. This helps with the Fed Ex, and the $ 25 at this end handling fee is for the whole box of goodies so that get's spread out. But then I'm back to waiting until I am importing a bunch of other stuff at the same time. Again, that might not be for some time yet. and the cost for the epoxy is still very high.

Sorry to be on a rant. We just returned to the island after 9 weeks in Colorado etc. and the cost of living here just slapped us in the face afresh. We'll get over it.

Rant is OK. Just remember, some of us are posting for posterity, ie those who may do a forum search on this subject. Not all lurkers who read this with interest may face the same problems.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 04:45   #86
One of Those

Well, then here's a bit of advice for lurkers who need a place to pull in and work on their boat between the middle of the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic. The Turks and Caicos Islands are a modern country, comparatively speaking, with hardware stores and groceries, but it's expensive here. Prices are over twice what they are in North America, and three times is not uncommon. If you need to duck in somewhere to fix your boat, I'd suggest coming in on a one week cruising permit for $ 50, you can then import everything you need to fix it duty free. You'll pay the Fed Ex, or UPS or DHL shipping but if you plan ahead and get your orders in the first day or two that you're here, they'll deliver in plenty of time that you receive your goods before the one week permit runs out. You'll still have to pay some small surcharges and the $ 25 per shipment paperwork fees, but you'll be exempt from the heavy customs duties. So if you order anything over about $ 150 in parts, you'll more than make up for the $ 50 cruising permit fee in duty saved. The next level of cruising permit is three months for $300. What this place has going for it is several decent marinas, a travel lift that can handle a mid size catamaran, and plenty of connections for two day courier service etc. You can't really count on that anywhere else between here and George Town. In the other direction, the next "good" spot to fix stuff is Puerto Rico.

I can't do the cruising permit thing, as we're residents. No break on the duty. We imported the boat here, although it's still USCG documented.

The Customs guys that come down to the boat to clear you in and out here are pretty reasonable people, too. If you needed another day or so past your 7 day permit, I am pretty sure they'd extend it for you without any big hassles. Just let them know the nature of the delay.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:52   #87
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"in their luggage. "
Ergh....checked bags only!
And even then, our TSA gets very very paranoid about anything that might be "plastique" in any form. They will confiscate peanut butter, goat cheese (and it was a fine cheese!) basically, anything that isn't in a 3-ounce toothpaste tube and I'm sure they'll figure out the reason to start confiscating toothpaste soon as well.
If they were really being secure, they'd probably confiscate it from the checked baggage as well.

Tags
tanks