Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45   #1

re small amount of rot in the base of a timber mast

Hi all , im new to timber masts . I need some advice as to whether I can cut out the rot epoxy the damage and sleave it with stainless to protect .
I was advised I could but any other advice will be greatly appreciated , got a lot of work to do to the girl , , but id like to settle the mast problems asap , regards all
darfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: re small amount of rot in the base of a timber mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaye View Post
Hi all , im new to timber masts . I need some advice as to whether I can cut out the rot epoxy the damage and sleave it with stainless to protect .
I was advised I could but any other advice will be greatly appreciated , got a lot of work to do to the girl , , but id like to settle the mast problems asap , regards all
Welcome aboard Darfaye,

To answer your question, it really depends on what you mean by small and be warned that what looks small often turns out to be bigger.

Is the mast still stepped? if so, this makes the job more difficult to assess properly.

The correct answer is lay the mast down, cut out the rotted area and then cut back some more to ensure you are in sound timber. Now scarf in some new timber, fair and paint. Re-step the mast and you are good to go. Epoxy is a suitable glue, especially for someone not fully skilled in timber repair but there are others that will do the job as well or even better.

If the area is truly small, say less than a cubic inch, the best repair is to remove the rot and fashion a small timber block and screw/glue in place. A lot of folk will just be happy to fill such a small area with epoxy but filing with wood is more kosher. I have forgotten the technical name for filling with wood but its something like crarve or grarve or similar.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:22   #3

Thanks , heaps , ill look into the mast further during the next weekend , to assess and ill do the repairs on site , regards Darren
darfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:38   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I have forgotten the technical name for filling with wood but its something like crarve or grarve or similar.

Grave. Or you call it a Dutchman.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rot