Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 19:39   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Re-Seal Cockpit Floor With Butyl ?

Hey Folks,

Am slowly getting to the stage where I can put the cockpit floor back... and am wondering if butyl tape would work?

The floor rests on a wide lip in the cockpit and is secured with several bolts (which leads me to think it could work, since I'll be able to smush the butyl to form a seal)...

Reckon it'd work? I'd be following up with some black sealant on the top once the floor is back in place.

You can check out some photos of the "journey" here....

https://plus.google.com/photos/10025...36464649226849

Cheers,

James
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 17:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
re: Re-Seal Cockpit Floor With Butyl ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
Hey Folks,

Am slowly getting to the stage where I can put the cockpit floor back... and am wondering if butyl tape would work?

The floor rests on a wide lip in the cockpit and is secured with several bolts (which leads me to think it could work, since I'll be able to smush the butyl to form a seal)...

Reckon it'd work? I'd be following up with some black sealant on the top once the floor is back in place.

You can check out some photos of the "journey" here....

https://plus.google.com/photos/10025...36464649226849

Cheers,

James
By all means use Butyl,no need for anything elese,from your picture I,would lay a strip of Butyl on the cockpit flange,place a ring of butly tape around your bolts,When tightening the bolts secure them but don't overtighten.If a leak occurs thentightendownsome more.Have used butyl for years my last boat'shull to deck joint was sealed this way never leaked in 35 plus years.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 18:13   #3

Cool.

I guess my concern was heat from the engine... but then again, the stuff I've used on deck [chainplates] is going to get plenty hot in the tropical sun!

Thanks for your advice.
Old 26-08-2012, 08:40   #4

That is quite a project you have taken on. It inspires me to go forward on a similar project.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 10:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
Cool.

I guess my concern was heat from the engine... but then again, the stuff I've used on deck [chainplates] is going to get plenty hot in the tropical sun!

Thanks for your advice.
Hello let me know how u are coming along.I,almost purchased a sistership,Living in S Fl I,decided the 6 ft plus draft was a little too deep,I loved the boat in all other respects.I,did buy a Cabo Rico 38,and am doing a COMPLETE refit,I,have stripped the entire deck of all hardware and all thru hulls have been removed even pulled the engine just to clean the bilge and redo some wireing and plumbing.I,could go on .I,use Butyl on all above water fittings.
Best of Success to you
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 23:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxiam View Post
That is quite a project you have taken on. It inspires me to go forward on a similar project.

Indeed it is... I hope to have it back in the water by the start of December... The re-glassing is going to be quite laborious... Fortunately, I shan't be doing it!
Old 26-08-2012, 23:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Hello let me know how u are coming along.I,almost purchased a sistership,Living in S Fl I,decided the 6 ft plus draft was a little too deep,I loved the boat in all other respects.I,did buy a Cabo Rico 38,and am doing a COMPLETE refit,I,have stripped the entire deck of all hardware and all thru hulls have been removed even pulled the engine just to clean the bilge and redo some wireing and plumbing.I,could go on .I,use Butyl on all above water fittings.
Best of Success to you

Cool. I'm still rather enamoured with this Moody... I've learnt a lot. Things like Moody's are well built... but rather prone to osmosis... (built with a chopper gun, and then not properly consolidated)... there are loads of pinholes in the laminate... Shame really.

Still, it's all coming together slowly... and I do think it'll be a nice boat when it finally gets back in the water!
Old 27-08-2012, 04:51   #8

Re: Re-Seal Cockpit Floor With Butyl ?

Did my cockpit floor with butyl about 18 years ago. Still no leaks.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, seals