Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 16:07   #1

Re: Opinions on a Late 60's Columbia 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat View Post
Hi Bruce:

I owned a 1969 Columbia 28 (hull# 359) for 18 years (1980-1998). During that period, I coastal cruised her all up and down the California coast and to all the Channel Islands. I lived aboard for more than 5 years and had thousands of hours operating time on her which I used for sea experience to obtain my 100 ton masters license in 1984.

Take it from me, the old "Artemisia" was built like a tank. Never had any structural, cosmetic or equipment problems-i.e. no blisters, no delamination, no anything! She sailed extremely well on a broad reach, but was also fairly fast close hauled. We once sailed her from Los Angeles Harbor's Angels Gate Light to Long Point, Catalina Island, on a beam reach, in just over 3 hours-that's averaging about 7.5-8.0 kts!

I was concerned about the external lead ballast since the keel bolts were regular steel and rusted where standing water in the bilge kept them wet. I put new stainless steel hardware on them. However, there were never any separation problems with the ballast or the rudder, even after I grounded her a couple of times at Catalina Island.

She had the original, reliable Atomic 4 inboard, which also never failed me, and only required periodic tune ups and oil changes. I replaced the original steel exhaust system with a new plastic tank unit which worked great. The old unit was clogged and caused water to back up into the head which damaged the valves. So, I did an easy valve job on her, in the boat, and off we went again.

I can't tell you how many wonderful times and great sails I had on the old girl. I single- handed her most of the time and she was a joy to sale. I would recommend that an extender be attached to the tiller and that you have an automatic pilot. Since she is a fin keel, spade rudder design, she will not hold a point of sail very long if you release the tiller to take a leak, etc. The rudder is hung in space with a single steel post, which can loosen up in the tube over time. Simple fix by replacing the gaskets. Also, I had to beef up the bronze tiller bracket for additional strength.

Overall, she was a great vessel, and roomy enough inside to be a comfortable environment for two large adults. We would provision with ample food stores, water and fuel, and take her cruising for 1-2 weeks at a time.

Overall, I would highly recommend a Columbia 28, MK II, especially now that you can pick one up for as low as $2,000.00. I paid $15,000 in 1980, and never regretted the decision-it was worth every penny.

I still miss her and dream more about her than any animate mistress that has crossed my path!

Feel free to contact me for additional information.

Good Sailing,

Joe Ratliff
I have a 1968 Columbia 28 and I was wondering if you had any idea what size, kind, and length lines I should buy if I'm replacing the lines on my boat? Thanks,

deano555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat View Post
Hi Bruce:

I owned a 1969 Columbia 28 (hull# 359) for 18 years (1980-1998). During that period, I coastal cruised her all up and down the California coast and to all the Channel Islands. I lived aboard for more than 5 years and had thousands of hours operating time on her which I used for sea experience to obtain my 100 ton masters license in 1984.

Take it from me, the old "Artemisia" was built like a tank. Never had any structural, cosmetic or equipment problems-i.e. no blisters, no delamination, no anything! She sailed extremely well on a broad reach, but was also fairly fast close hauled. We once sailed her from Los Angeles Harbor's Angels Gate Light to Long Point, Catalina Island, on a beam reach, in just over 3 hours-that's averaging about 7.5-8.0 kts!

I was concerned about the external lead ballast since the keel bolts were regular steel and rusted where standing water in the bilge kept them wet. I put new stainless steel hardware on them. However, there were never any separation problems with the ballast or the rudder, even after I grounded her a couple of times at Catalina Island.

She had the original, reliable Atomic 4 inboard, which also never failed me, and only required periodic tune ups and oil changes. I replaced the original steel exhaust system with a new plastic tank unit which worked great. The old unit was clogged and caused water to back up into the head which damaged the valves. So, I did an easy valve job on her, in the boat, and off we went again.

I can't tell you how many wonderful times and great sails I had on the old girl. I single- handed her most of the time and she was a joy to sale. I would recommend that an extender be attached to the tiller and that you have an automatic pilot. Since she is a fin keel, spade rudder design, she will not hold a point of sail very long if you release the tiller to take a leak, etc. The rudder is hung in space with a single steel post, which can loosen up in the tube over time. Simple fix by replacing the gaskets. Also, I had to beef up the bronze tiller bracket for additional strength.

Overall, she was a great vessel, and roomy enough inside to be a comfortable environment for two large adults. We would provision with ample food stores, water and fuel, and take her cruising for 1-2 weeks at a time.

Overall, I would highly recommend a Columbia 28, MK II, especially now that you can pick one up for as low as $2,000.00. I paid $15,000 in 1980, and never regretted the decision-it was worth every penny.

I still miss her and dream more about her than any animate mistress that has crossed my path!

Feel free to contact me for additional information.

Good Sailing,

Joe Ratliff
Hi,

Looking for information about the aft cleats and winches on a Columbia 28. Right now there are washers there; look to be about 3/4 inch. Should I replace them with plates and what materials are best and what size? Thanks

deano555
deano555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia