Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 16:40   #1

Re-Lacquering Interior Cabin Lights

I have a number of "Cabin Frigast Denmark, Mia" lights and the metal gold portion that is lacquered, is starting to get blotchy spots on them. Already contacted the company and they won't sell just the metal part, I have to buy the entire light unit which is too expensive. Anyone have any experience with the lacquered process or know of anyone in the San Francisco Bay area or even the west coast of the US that does this kind of work? Any suggestions welcomed, thanks,

Colin
07Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:02   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Re-Lacquering interior cabin lights?

Try Our Services they do brass plating.

I've had stuff chrome, silver, and gold plated and it's cheaper than you think. But, why not just strip it by sanding or chemical and repaint in your choice of metallics, Laquer if you want. Not even 20 bucks.
Old 08-02-2012, 17:22   #3

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Re-Lacquering interior cabin lights?

I would use a pant striper then clean and polish then respray if you can take it apart it would be easer
Old 01-03-2012, 13:27   #4

Re: Re-Lacquering Interior Cabin Lights

Good ideas, Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 14:08   #5
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

If the bells/shades are not cracked you may be able to remove the lacquer with lacquer thinner. Paint stripper is very caustic and normally toxic and besides, not what you need for this job. I would suggest you remove the fixture, protect the switch and any wiring that remained attached from drips and using a soft cloth dipped in lacquer thinner remove the lacquer. You may need several cloths. When done, rinse off the lacquer thinner with a damp, not wet rag. Polish brass as you normally would and see how it turns out. Note how much time it takes (should be less than an hour per light I expect).
Do this in a ventilated area. If they turn out nice and you want to relacquer them you can buy it in a spray can and it will be easy to reapply. You can get lacquer thinner at any good size hardware store. Pick up gloves as well, something rated for solvents like the heavy blue ones. If you have a respirator I would wear that but if you are outside it is probably not needed. Good luck with your project. I have done this on lamp bases and other metal objects before and it is pretty easy (I was an antique dealer in a former life).
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:16   #6

Ok, Thanks for that advice KDH!!

Tags
cabin