Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-05-2017, 10:25   #106

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36
Re: Re-gelcoating my deck: Project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
If you do a forum search you will find this argument, like most, has been hashed out many times here. I'm well aware the manufacturer states it's ok to apply gel over epoxy, but that hasn't been my experience. And believe me I'm extremely fastidious about prep, far more so than most anyone.

IMHO the problem isn't with initial bond. Do the same tests after one year, then two, three, etc. and I might think it's worth something, particularly if exposure to the environment is involved as well. I' have on several occasions applied gel over epoxy and sent a great looking product out the door, with apparently excellent adhesion, only to have it fail after a few years. Never again!!

The problem I believe is that amine blush does not fully cease at initial cure. The cure cycle continues for at least a year, and very small amounts of amine leech out of the laminate over time. Poly laminate does this too, but with styrene and glycol (which is what causes blisters). Not such a problem for a compatible coating, but gel does not seem to like it at all IME. YMMV!

I picked up one of those guns not too long ago. Check out the reviews and you will note a number of people stating they leak at the trigger. I was hesitant to buy on this account. Went ahead and gave it a whirl, and sure enough it leaked at the trigger. There is usually a leather gasket with adjustable seal (like a packing gland) at the needle entry to the air cap, but this gun has no seal. Starts leaking about 5 minutes in and only gets worse. I returned mine. Not up to 3M's usual standards! Also didn't like the cheap plastic construction. Very flimsy. Just get the PPS adapter for the gun of your choice if you like the PPS system. For the record, I don't. The pots and liners are super expensive.

If you want to educate yourself on application methods and finish, please do a hatch or something first. You will probably be surprised how easy it is to get great results and it will help a lot to be a bit further down the learning curve before you try a big shoot. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply Minaret and you did as I hoped and added more real world to this quest.

Wow! the pics are awesome. I hope I can get half that! Very nice.

I plan to fair a few minor places with Awlfair LW and prime with 545 as you suggested. And practice to develop my skills and technique.

I have not had the problem with the gun leaking at the trigger yet maybe they fixed that problem. I bought expecting to trash it at the end of the project just need it to last that long and work correctly.

Suijin, thanks for this thread. I hope you see this as a parallel project quest and not a highjack of your thread. not my intentions.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:28   #107

Boat: Valiant 40

Apologies for not updating this thread for those that were interested. Long story short, boat is out of the shed with almost all of the deck hardware back on. Currently working on finishing off reassembling the interior. Hope to be in the water next week and on the road again by the beginning of November.

I'm very happy with how it turned out. But I will never, ever, ever do this to a boat again. It was a borderline death march, particularly in July and August when the temperature in the shed up on deck was pretty consistently over 110 degrees. If there is anything I might have done differently it's choose a slightly darker nonskid paint color to hide dirt and provide a bit more contrast. That said, the lighter color has the benefit of being cooler inside, so I'm happy with that!

Honestly a lot of time was sucked up by all the "well, now's a good time to do it" projects that were only indirectly related to the deck work. Like insulating the coachroof, since the interior liner panels were already down.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:44   #108

Boat: 44 footer

Pretty work!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:51   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Pretty work!
I second that. It looks like a new boat. Good job!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:02   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fantastic! Well done!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40   #111

Suijin, very nice work! I feel your pain! I'm still trying to finish my deck project but my day job keeps getting in the way.
So what did you finally decided to go with gel or paint?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09   #112

i ended up going with paint. Awlcraft 2000 for the slick, Awlgrip for the nonskid.

I ended up boxing myself into that choice as I did all the deck repairs with epoxy. I did not want to run into issues down the road with gelcoat on top of epoxy, and honestly the thought of fairing all that gelcoat (although I would not have had to where the nonskid is) and then maintaining the gelcoat going forward was fairly unappealing. I'm happy with the paint thus far. I'm also super happy with the Griptex nonskid. It is grippier than most of the textured roll-on stuff, and yet easier on the knees. It also does not trap dirt as badly and is easy to clean.
Old 07-11-2017, 14:09   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
i ended up going with paint. Awlcraft 2000 for the slick, Awlgrip for the nonskid.

I ended up boxing myself into that choice as I did all the deck repairs with epoxy. I did not want to run into issues down the road with gelcoat on top of epoxy, and honestly the thought of fairing all that gelcoat (although I would not have had to where the nonskid is) and then maintaining the gelcoat going forward was fairly unappealing. I'm happy with the paint thus far. I'm also super happy with the Griptex nonskid. It is grippier than most of the textured roll-on stuff, and yet easier on the knees. It also does not trap dirt as badly and is easy to clean.
Well it looks great! I like all the non-skid. I plan to cover as much as possible with Griptex.

I see you covered most of your earlier posted list: New stainless hand rails, custom stainless traveler base. Did you remove the forward cowl?

I am still planning to shoot gel on the deck but considering Awlcraft for the topsides over Awlgrip only because I can buff the Awlcraft later. I may change my mind and shoot gel after I see how the sanding and polishing goes on the deck. I'm still about a month away if the weather doesn't shut me down.

Anyway, looks great and I can only imagine how nice it must be to have this almost complete!

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 07-11-2017, 14:17   #114

Boat: Want a B430!

MORE PICS!
Old 07-11-2017, 15:54   #115

Re-gelcoating my deck: Project thread

I have opted to leave the forward dorade box and vent, but leave off the stainless guard over it. That way when Iím concerned about lines catching on it or need to stow the dinghy inflated on the deck I can just take off the cowl (I have cover plate for it). The boat was going to look strange with just one dorade box lol.

I have more ďin processĒ pics that I will post soon.

What Iím wrestling with now is that it has been very humid here and the disassembled cabinetry has swollen and is being a pain to reassemble. AC running on the boat to hopefully shrink it down a tad lol.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:17   #116

Boat: 44 footer

Suijin,

If you've got some 100 watt light bulbs, you can take a cardboard box big enough to put what needs to be assembled inside and make an oven that cranks the temperature inside the box up a few degrees such that whatever is inside loses humidity and is never below the dew point. Even at 100% relative humidity... if you raise the temperature in the box, the absolute humidity in the box lowers a couple points. Sometimes even hanging a drop light in a head or cabinet box can be helpful too.

If you throw some wood sticks down in between everything so air can flow, and flip the pile every day so things stay straight it'll shorten the amount of time you need. Just don't toss stuff out in the sun.

A/C is a decent dehumidifier, but if you have any change over of outside air and the dew point is a couple degrees under outside temp you end up with 100% humidity at your new lower temperature.

It can be a bit of a dance in Eastern NC this time of year as we've only got a few hours that everything isn't soaked during the heat of the day with dew.

Cheers,

Zach

Tags
deck, gelcoat, project

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: