Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2009, 08:22   #1

Boat: Morgan 22
Re-building a Morgan 22

I've posted on a few other sites with not a whole lot of response. I'm new here but it looks like things are pretty active here. I'm just looking for advice. A bit about my background, I've been an aircraft mechanic for about 10 years. I've made and rigged aircraft control cables. I've done a fair amount of glass work. I have a small woodworking shop in my garage. I'm a reservist and I've been mobilized so I can't get home to do any work on the boat for a few months. That gives me time to get advice from anyone here.

I'm new to sailing. I took an ASA class last summer to get started and when I saw how much it cost t rent a boat I thought I'd just crew on other people's boats for awhile. Then my sister told me about a guy giving away a Morgan 22. The instructor from my class took a look at it and said it was sound, what there was of it. It's really just the hull and mast. No sails, rigging or motor.

I've been reading this forum for a week or two and usually when people write in for advice most people here tend to make it sound like any home re-fit project isn't worth the time. My first question is even though the boat was free am I wasting my money? The boat is sitting in my driveway right now so it's not costing me anything to just let it sit while I hunt for parts.

The last time I was home I was talking to a guy at the West Marine. He said he had a box full of parts from a re-fit he did last year so I've got a few things to work with. He also said he'd lend a hand so I'm not working completely blind.

Does anyone here have a good source of info on a Morgan 22? Are there any manuals that will tell you things like cable length for the standing rigging? Is there anything I need to be aware of before I really get started?

I'll be using the boat to learn on. To start of Lake Lanier then maybe trailer it to the coast. After a few years I'll get something bigger but I'm going to use it to learn more about sailing.

Thanks,

Mike
MTrejchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 08:53   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Mike,

As you have a wood workshop in the garage, I assume you like these projects! For me, doing projects aboard is half the fun so don't let anyone tell you you're a fool doing this. You must understand that many people don't even know what a plane is, let alone how to use it and if they attempt to "fix up" a project boat it'll be a dissaster. It is true that it isn't smart to hire pro's to do it for you because that will cost more than buying a boat ready to go. It's strictly DIY with help from friends if possible.

I can't help you with info on the Morgan 22. Stuff like length of rigging etc. is best determined by measuring. Your boat is small enough to do this the easy way: erect the mast using cheap rope rigging and measure needed stay lengths while you make them. Try to find used norseman or sta-lok fittings so you don't need to swage.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 08:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Mike, What's the year of your Morgan? If it is the same or near same year as another Morgan owner they may have similar features, hardware, etc. My Morgan is a 1973,- different in size, but a Morgan. Show us a photo if possible. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 09:22   #4

The boat is a '73. The mast is laying next to the garage under an overhang. It's going to take work, but I do like having a project to keep me busy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1227081723a.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	7511  
MTrejchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Nick, I notice your portlights are the same as those on my '73 morgan. I found the maker of the original black rubber gasket (Griffith Rubber Mills, Portland Oregon), but they only sell the material in 50' rolls.

The new locking strips are black instead of the white ones you have. Of course, you may find your old ones are suitable or wish to change them to opening ports. Lewmar makes a port that fits the same 24" x 6" ports with the rounded ends.
Mike's post has good advice about measuring the rigging. If you elect to use swages, you can send the measurements to a rigging shop. Numerous places, West Marine included, will do this. 'good luck, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 13:20   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
CaptForce: You're mixing up Mike and Nick ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 10:11   #7

Re: Re-building a Morgan 22

[QUOTE=CaptForce;267388]

I found the maker of the original black rubber gasket (Griffith Rubber Mills, Portland Oregon), but they only sell the material in 50' rolls.

The new locking strips are black instead of the white ones you have. Of course, you may find your old ones are suitable or wish to change them to opening ports. Lewmar makes a port that fits the same 24" x 6" ports with the rounded ends.

So I'm wondering. Does anyone have the part/stock numbers of the said gasket material or the replacement portlights? I'm in the throes of rehabbing a 1971 M22 as well.

The one I'm working on has been stripped inside. I'd like to see examples of things like; How does the dinette table attach and drop? How did the original plumbing and tankage run? How did the original running rigging go? Has anyone successfully put a hinged mast step/tabernacle on?

These and many many more questions to come.

Dave
Merritt Island FL
N1EYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 10:48   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Re-building a Morgan 22

Dave, Look at the "Stanlock" gasket products listed on the Griffith Rubber Mills, Portland, Oregon site. The part that matches the form of the black rubber gaskets of the 1970's Morgan portlights is the part # SL-2026.

Tags
morgan