Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 11:42   #1

re-bed Hatches

I have just completed the process of removing my three Bomar hatches from my 1984 Catalina 30. I removed all the paint and I am planning on leaving them unpainted in their natural aluminum state. Is there a product to clean and polish/protect aluminum? I also removed the tinted glass. I would appreciate any advice as to re-bedding both the glass and the hatch frame itself. It looks as though both the glass and the hatch were bedded using butyl caulking but I am not sure. So, my question is should I use butyl caulking to secure the glass to the hatch frame and also to re-bed hatch frame to the deck or should I use marine grade silicone on both? Should I use silicone for one and butyl caulking for the other? Lastly, can you purchase butyl caulking anywhere other than a marine supply store? Thanks in advance!
csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: re-bed Hatches

I'd definitely anodize the aluminum if your going to leave it bare. Actually I think it should be anodized even if you were going to powder coat it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:20   #3

I just redid our Bomar saloon hatch.

While our glazing was OK in the frame, Dow 795 has been repeatedly reported to be THE material for that application.

I found the very best butyl tape on the market from Maine Sail (do a Google search, he sells it online). I used two layers of it to bed the hatch to the deck, worked great.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

I didn't have success with butyl tape for this application (I was careful but it still leaked as the fit was not perfect on a crowned deck,) but silicone worked well. A hatch installation is a lot like a port light installation and one of the few places Maine Sail agrees with the use of silicone. He has a nice video on installing port lights which I think will answer your question, and also sells the best butyl tape in the right thickness etc.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 13:01   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I used 3M 4200 and, especially if there is any crown to the deck, believe it to be the way to go. It is flexible, strong and durable and, unlike 5200, will enable you to remove the hatch in the future.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 13:12   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have done several hatches using a Butyl caulking which never hardens and is very sticky. They have all been successful in leak prevention. As for the aluminum you would do well to get them anodized. They can get ugly fast when left raw to the environment. I would check to see that they were not already anodized. Someone might have painted over the previously anodized frames which would prevent the paint from sticking too well. Most of the hatches I have worked on were already anodized.

Tags
bed, hatch