Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 04:37   #1

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Raymarine / Autohelm Troubleshooting

Hello,

in the new (to me) project boat, the current setup is-

ST50 compass display
ST60 tridata display
ST7000 auto pilot control unit with
- course computer
- hydraulic drive on steering system
- gyro compass unit

Sadly whilst the tridata depth/log etc appear to be working, the autopilot and compass unit appear to be dead. Hence I have no way of assessing the state of the course computer or drive unit.

I am wondering
-whether a partial replacement would be possible, i.e. are any of these units compatible with newer ones? e.g. I can't see why the hydraulic drive unit should be broken really.
-how I can troubleshoot the components, i.e. is it possible to measure the voltages on the cables?

Thanks for your attention
Old 02-05-2010, 13:56   #2

Boat: Dufour 38
Yes, you can keep the drive and upgrade to a new computer and controls.

What are the symptoms of the current autopilot. Does it power up?
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 15:28   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
When you say the compass is "dead" do you mean your seperate flux gate? Without that, the autohelm will just read "NO PILOT."

Make sue the compass really works first. Then trouble shoot the autohelm.

Raymarine has tech manuals on line if you need them.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 20:41   #4

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Tach support at Raymarine

Go to www.raymarine.com and click on "customer support" and then on "Support Home." Near the top of the page, click on "Ask Raymarine." You will have to create an "Raymarine insider account," but this will allowyou to send e-mail to tech support. Someone will reply to your e-mail and walk you through the trouble shoot. If some component needs repair, they have a flat rate price. You can get the flat rate prices at Raymarine Marine Electronics - Autopilot Repair Rates

Hope this helps.
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:15   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
I would start by seeing if everything is getting 12VDC power - maybe it's wired in a "creative" way, like a different switch or breaker, or perhaps one of the SeaTalk connections is bad or disconnected.

The course computer will have it's own power input. All the displays are powered via SeaTalk (red wire).

The course computer most likely has two SeaTalk networks, so it's possible (recommended, actually) that the A/P control head be on one network, and everything else integrated on the other (the computer will bridge the two when powered up). I mention this because it may help in your troubleshooting and tracing of wires.

I have no idea about testing the fluxgate compass specifically...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:29   #6

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I had problems with mine I called the Raymarine Tel number and a tech spent about 15 minutes, twice, talking me through the test of voltages proceedure we found the fault (rudder indicator) and it is working fine now. I don't have the number on hand it was in the manual.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43   #7

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Thanks very much for the kind words of advice all around

Quote:
What are the symptoms of the current autopilot. Does it power up?
The autopilot makes a clicking noise when the electricity is turned on. There are no lights on the unit, so I don't know. The two display units connected to it *seem* totally dead. Having said that, I haven't really understood the entire network as of yet.

Quote:
When you say the compass is "dead" do you mean your seperate flux gate? Without that, the autohelm will just read "NO PILOT."
Yes. I can't be too sure what components are broken, I was probably junking to conclusions, see above.

Quote:
I would start by seeing if everything is getting 12VDC power - maybe it's wired in a "creative" way, like a different switch or breaker, or perhaps one of the SeaTalk connections is bad or disconnected.
That's what the customer service person (thanks for that idea) in Southampton recommended, to connect the unit directly to the computer - I will investigate further..

Quote:
two SeaTalk networks, so it's possible (recommended, actually) that the A/P control head be on one network, and everything else integrated on the other (the computer will bridge the two when powered up).
Yes, there seem to be two networks, as the separate multi displays still display depth and log speed, the multi repeater unit does not display magnetic compass heading either though.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17   #8

Quote:

The autopilot makes a clicking noise when the electricity is turned on. There are no lights on the unit, so I don't know. The two display units connected to it *seem* totally dead. Having said that, I haven't really understood the entire network as of yet.

The clicking noise is the relays activating and is normal. If you remove all other St devices and just hook up the computer to the control head it will be easier to start isolating the problem. If you have two cotrol heads or can borrow one, you can determine if the problem is in the computer or head.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:57   #9

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
Sunspot : Do you know for sure that "no pilot" indicates a problem with the flux gate ? I have been getting that error intermittently and can't find the cause. The manual is very vague about that error message. It says to make sure the course computer is turned on, but since the control head gets it's power from the course computer it must be on. How would you trouble a flux gate issue if in fact "no pilot" indicates a flux gate issue. I'm hoping it may be a bad connection with the course computer. Could it also be a failing course computer ?

thanks, -tavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post

Make sue the compass really works first. Then trouble shoot the autohelm.

Raymarine has tech manuals on line if you need them.

George
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 13:39   #10

"No pilot" generally means you have a problem with the computer. "No Data" is possibly the compass. Check all of your ST cables first.

If you want to test the fluxgate compass, go to Raymarine.com and search for "Advanced Compass Troubleshooting". It will tell you how to test the fluxgate with an ohm meter.

Tags
autohelm, raymarine