Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-10-2009, 12:00   #16

Boat: Cascade
I still think its interesting that a water cooled deisel, could create enough heat that a blower, blowing directly at ahose could cause it to blister???

Old 07-10-2009, 12:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
My intimate experience with boats is limited to ones I’ve owned and some friends boats, (so take it for what its worth) but I've never encountered a water cooled engine that had a blower in the compartment for the purpose of cooling the engine....cooling the alternator, yes, for efficiencies not safety.

I just cant imagine that a properly water cooled engine would create enough heat to damage those hoses.

I only mention it so that you can be sure of what caused the damage and your solution.

Where dose the blowers exhaust go?

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 15:38   #18

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Actually without being back to the boat I am just guessing on the problem.. I think the blower is just there to suck out the heat not to blow in the engine. I have been out of sailboats for 12 years and even then I was an amateur. I assume you turn on the blower to suck heat out of the compartment. Of course the exhaust goes out the side with the salt water sucked in through these hoses.

If the hoses are not high pressure and just suck the water in and it get spit out, why would both sets of hoses genset and engine have similar blisters or rises in the hose. They are close together 6-8 inches apart and have the blisters on the same side of the hose facing the engine... I will take pictures Friday when I am at the boat.

Maybe the blower cools the alternator.. I thought is sucks air or blow air into the engine compartment... I did not see the blower in the engine compartment but it was there cause it made a horrible noise so I shut it off.

I am a sailor but I feel pretty amateurish .. but I will learn... with the help of you and this forum.. great forum with great people.
Old 07-10-2009, 15:40   #19

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
At 2500 Rpms the engine runs at a very nice temperature in the green so it is not overheating.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:22   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
The blower could also be there to bring in combustion air.
Take lots of pics.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:02   #21

Well, a diesel engine runs about 185 degrees, that's plenty hot enough to require a blower. We have had the blower die and wil run the engine with the box open to keep things cool.

Regarding the hose, don't fool around, replace it along with the blower.

And a final note. PUT THE BLOWER IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION! If you put it in backwards you pressurize the engine room instead of excavating the heat.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34   #22

Boat: Cascade
Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
Actually without being back to the boat I am just guessing on the problem.. I think the blower is just there to suck out the heat not to blow in the engine.
Mostly for gasoline engines....

It is a device to blow explosive gases out of the bilge so that they do not blow the boat up after fueling or in case of a small leak in the fuel system. The bilge blower should always be turned on and run for 5 minutes following fueling before starting the engine.

Tags
engine, raw water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: