Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 17:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Ratlines

I am looking to fit teak Ratlines (perhaps called ratbars) in my mizzen and main rigging shroads. I see with rope ratlines, seizing line is used to secure it to the rigging wires. Does anyone know how teak bars would be attached? I thought of bulldog clamps but that might damage the rigging. Let me know.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 18:08   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I would be very interested as well, I was also thinking of installing them on both the mizzen and main
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 18:23   #3

Ok Folks...Now there are 2 of us...Lets hear it you boat mites!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-01-2008, 18:42   #4

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
My are two pieces of teak bolted together. 2 bolts per side not touching rigging.
The trick is to cut them so top is square to rigging which doesn't always remain at equal angles. hope this helps, if not I can post a picture.
btw I only did one side and although I like them , I had to change some things as my genny sheets kept catching on them when I tacked to that side.
Cheers
Brad
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 18:59   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Brion Toss's Rigging book shows how to seize wood bars to shrouds.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 19:44   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have seen them attached with SS cable clamps with no damage to the rigging. The wood will take most of the pressure. And we have seen them with two part wood thru bolted together.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 00:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartinsen View Post
My are two pieces of teak bolted together. 2 bolts per side not touching rigging.
The trick is to cut them so top is square to rigging which doesn't always remain at equal angles. hope this helps, if not I can post a picture.
btw I only did one side and although I like them , I had to change some things as my genny sheets kept catching on them when I tacked to that side.
Cheers
Brad

It would be great if you could post a picture. Perhaps I will just put them on the mizzen to avoid a genny snag...good point.
Old 08-01-2008, 15:40   #8

pictures of Ratlines

Here are some picture I snapped today. first time trying this , I hope they
attach.
Regards
Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3773.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3774.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	2433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3775.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	2434  
Old 08-01-2008, 16:06   #9

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I would be very cautious about doing that to your rigging wire.

Any place that sea waster is allowed to accumulate and stay for periods of time will compromise the integrity of the wire over time. S/S must have access to oxygen in order to maintain it's ability to be "stainless". Without oxygen, S/S will corode just like mild steel. That's why when chainplates fail it's allways where they go through the decks and are sealed in place.

I'd be willing to bet that if you were to unbolt those steps and look at the wire with a magnifying glass, you will find corrosion on the wire (if they've been there for a year or 2).
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 16:27   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
One of Cauler's books has a description on how to do it as well.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 17:03   #11

Thanks Kanani
I've often wondered about that but decided to do it anyway (like jumping off a bridge, if everyone's doing it, why not?) I was actually planning on taking them down
when not actively cruising but then something would happen and I would end up climbing up to fix, free or see something. I wonder if a u-bolt idea would be better?
Still seem like stress on an important part. Anyway,might not be a bad idea to inspect and "air-out" periodically, I can easily loosen them and lift.
Brad
Old 08-01-2008, 17:29   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
When (and if) I get my boat's rigging complete, I will use line or rope ratlines on one side (port or starboard) going to the spreaders of my mainmast. I just don't like the idea of all the windage due to wood ratlines as well as the wood extending past the aft lowers and chafing the main. I also don't like the idea of not having the attachment points drying out because wood is compressed to the stainless 1x19 wire. I don't see myself climbing up there a whole bunch of times so I don't believe the stress created by climbing between the shrouds as a real problem.
Besides, I really like the looks of the "old timey" rope/line ratlines.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 17:34   #13

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
When (and if) I get my boat's rigging complete, I will use line or rope ratlines on one side (port or starboard) going to the spreaders of my mainmast. I just don't like the idea of all the windage due to wood ratlines as well as the wood extending past the aft lowers and chafing the main. I also don't like the idea of not having the attachment points drying out because wood is compressed to the stainless 1x19 wire. I don't see myself climbing up there a whole bunch of times so I don't believe the stress created by climbing between the shrouds as a real problem.
JohnL
The rope lines will dry out quicker and there is less captured water and more exposure to oxygen.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 17:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartinsen View Post
Thanks Kanani
I've often wondered about that but decided to do it anyway (like jumping off a bridge, if everyone's doing it, why not?) I was actually planning on taking them down
when not actively cruising but then something would happen and I would end up climbing up to fix, free or see something. I wonder if a u-bolt idea would be better?
Still seem like stress on an important part. Anyway,might not be a bad idea to inspect and "air-out" periodically, I can easily loosen them and lift.
Brad
Thanks for the pictures...I noticed you dattoed one side to make it a little more seamless looking. I think I will try doing the same except partial pieces on the ends...like blocks instead of a continual piece like you used.
I will put a set on the Mizzen only because as it was stated earlier about the Genny chaffing on it.
I tried climbing actual ratlines of 3-starnd rope but in bare feet it wass painful for me.
Old 08-01-2008, 17:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
JohnL

Perhaps I can use rope on the main to the first set of speaders John. That way the chaffing/snagging would not be such an issue. I would only use them on the main to assist me starting up the mast, so the person cranking me up did not have to working so hard. Although I could use my electric windlass. On my mizzen, I am installing an AirX wind generator and when installed, I can see myself going up the high to screw around with it from time to time...with a helmet of course...