Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 21:57   #1

Raritan ElectroScan Hold N Treat System?

Does anyone have experience with the Raritan ElectroScan Hold N Treat System? It was recommended to me by the techs at WM.

As we stay on the hook for a month or two at a time, I am looking for a system - other than composting - to process black water. The current holding tanks are 20 and 30usgal.

Thinking one of these would be the perfect solution, I called around today to find someone who knows about them and could assist me in the installation. I've only had one reply so far, and while said he can assist me, he also asked why I would want one. Apparently, they have become obsolete, because while he has never installed one, he has removed over a dozen of them.

I also looked into the Raritan PURASAN Hold N Treat System, but it deals with tablets, and have no reviews regarding how well they work.

I welcome your thoughts.

CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 04:10   #2

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Raritan ElectroScan Hold N Treat System?

Maybe some of these threads would be helpful?

Raritan Electroscan - any users? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
www.cruisersforum.com › ... ›
Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Oct 25, 2017 - 15 posts - ‎6 authors
After the latest issues with my holding tank system, I am eager to stop ... Raritan Hold N'Treat Bundle If you already have a tank you want to ..
Raritan ElectroScan Hold N Treat System? 1 post 21 Feb 2019

Lectra-Scan waste treatment systems?15 posts 15 Jul 2017
Raritan Electro Scan15 posts 13 Feb 2012
Raritan Electro Scan Hold-and-Treat Systems15 posts22 Sep 2011

Electro Scan Waste Treatment System | SailboatOwners.com Forums
https://forums.sailboatowners.com › ... ›
Marine Plumbing and Sanitation
Apr 13, 2010 - Electro Scan Waste Treatment System .... However, you MIGHT want to check out Raritan's "Hold 'n' Treat" system before buying a macerator
Raritan electroscan question7 Sep 2015
Raritan Elegance and Electroscan questions 16 Sep 2015
electro scan 7 Jul 2009
Installation of Electro Scan12 Mar 2007

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 09:01   #3

Thanks, coopec43. I read the second and third links, but somehow missed the first. Excellent info.

The reason I posted this was because the information I received from the local guy is current, while the second and third links are old. I was hoping for information that either agrees or counters the information this 'expert' provided.

What I learned from the first link:

1. People seem to love them.
2. There have been a number of issues with them, but none I am concerned about.
3. Most have differing ideas about the periodic maintenance, but all say there is nothing difficult about the system itself.
4. Most seem to be like me; they want something that works that they can stay on the hook and not have to race off to a pump out station.
5. The two worst cases are that the lighted monitor needed replacing, and that the electrodes need regular cleaning and/or replacing. I'm of the mind that I would gladly replace the entire unit twice a year, rather than deal with .....pooh. So, the monetary layout is secondary if it provides a good solution, ....pun intended.
7. I will likely add a salt solution tank. Being anchored in tropical bays, areas where fresh rain water makes up the top foot or so, it seems prudent to have the ease of turning a tiny valve to ensure enough salt is being added to the ....'mix'.

So, .....unless anyone has changed their opinion of them since April of 2018, I'm going to have one installed.

Thank you for the link.
Old 22-02-2019, 13:46   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Google Sani-loo.com they have a system which meters in bleach to kill the bugs. The Electrosan does the same thing by electrolysing the saline part of seawater to produce the chlorine.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Apparently, they have become obsolete, because while he has never installed one, he has removed over a dozen of them.

The main problem with them is that there are a growing number of areas that are classified as "no-discharge zones" where they are unlawful to use. The "hold and treat" have some limited ability to be used with pump-outs, which provides some flexibility. But, because the holding capacity is limited, you may end up pumping out more frequently than you do now, which defeats the whole purpose.

In the U.S., many anchorages and mooring fields are in no-discharge zones. Here is a list:

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...nes-ndzs-state

I believe that the entirety of the Great Lakes are also a no-discharge zone, by treaty, so they do not appear in the list.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:17   #6

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We had one of the first edition LectraSans when we were cruising and living aboard. Used it 24/7/365 for two years and light use for 8 additional years without any problems. Don't know what the subsequent owners record was with the unit.Great piece of kit. Simply do your business, work the head as you normally would and turn on the unit. We'd normally pump the head before using it flush out anything that was in the system. When using after a particularly productive deposit you'd get a brownish tinged outflow that dissipated almost immediately.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
We had one of the first edition LectraSans when we were cruising and living aboard. Used it 24/7/365 for two years and light use for 8 additional years without any problems. Don't know what the subsequent owners record was with the unit.Great piece of kit. Simply do your business, work the head as you normally would and turn on the unit. We'd normally pump the head before using it flush out anything that was in the system. When using after a particularly productive deposit you'd get a brownish tinged outflow that dissipated almost immediately.
Just what I want to ...read. Since we are heading into the South Pacific, I have read the charters of many of the island countries, as well as NZ and Australia. So far, they are allowed. NZ has a few restrictions in certain areas, but I doubt we will ever drop anchor in those areas.
Old 22-02-2019, 16:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The main problem with them is that there are a growing number of areas that are classified as "no-discharge zones" where they are unlawful to use. The "hold and treat" have some limited ability to be used with pump-outs, which provides some flexibility. But, because the holding capacity is limited, you may end up pumping out more frequently than you do now, which defeats the whole purpose.

In the U.S., many anchorages and mooring fields are in no-discharge zones. Here is a list:

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...nes-ndzs-state

I believe that the entirety of the Great Lakes are also a no-discharge zone, by treaty, so they do not appear in the list.
I read that the Great Lakes is a no discharge zone, but we have no desire to go there. The only US areas will be the Wet coast and WA State, and so far, these units are allowed.

But if they were ever banned, we'd simply go to a couple of 5 gallon pails with lids, and a wooden top put our butts on. Then we'd suck them out at the marina dump station.
Old 22-02-2019, 16:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Damn politicians banned them in all of Puget Sound because they couldn't be bothered reading how they work.
Sequim is just outside of the DNZ and the NDZ.
Everyone I know who has one is basically telling the pols where to shove it.
Old 22-02-2019, 16:58   #10

Puget Sound became a no-discharge zone last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sequim.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	186470  
Old 22-02-2019, 16:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Damn politicians banned them in all of Puget Sound because they couldn't be bothered reading how they work.
Sequim is just outside of the DNZ and the NDZ.
Everyone I know who has one is basically telling the pols where to shove it.
Good to know. I/m up to date on Area 6, as I fish it regularly, so I know it is okay. And I doubt the sailboat will ever get past Green Point, so we should be okay.

Thanks for the info. With the orca/salmon/pinniped fiasco taking center stage, I'm sure it is only matter of time until they look for something else to complain about.
Old 22-02-2019, 17:04   #12

I liked the idea of the electroscan but there are relatively few areas where they make sense. Outside the USA the usual practice is to dump untreated waste. In the USA there are so many large areas where an electroscan cannot be used that they have become a niche product, and it gets worse every year.
Old 23-02-2019, 04:41   #13

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
The main problem with them is that there are a growing number of areas that are classified as "no-discharge zones" where they are unlawful to use.
Quote:
I liked the idea of the electroscan but there are relatively few areas where they make sense.

But those lists sometimes exaggerate the NDZ-ness (?). For instance, there's one semi-near us here in the Chesapeake Bay... but it's only about 5 square miles out of the bazillion square miles of the whole Chesapeake... and a HNT approach would solve that relatively easily.

I researched converting our system to a Purasan HNT, using our existing 25-gallon holding tank, but I wasn't willing to do the installation myself... and the $6500 estimate I've gotten makes that conversion untenable (for my wallet). It would just take too long for us to amortize that kind of cost, and I think I could probably do it myself (if willing) for closer to $3000... so that differential put me off the idea too.

Instead, we're in the middle of a project to increasing our existing 25-gallon tank (labeled 40 gallons, nominal 35, side-mounted fittings render it 25) to a true 40 gallon tank with top-mounted fittings. Plus new hoses everywhere. We're hoping the 60% increase, for less than about $650 total including my labor, will be a major (enough) improvement.

But if I could have had a Purasan HNT installed (by someone else) for in the neighborhood of $2200 or even up to $2500, it'd be in there already.

-Chris

Tags
raritan