Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2009, 14:22   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I
Raising Boom?

I know this has been asked before, but not recently and not with much response.

In looking for cruising boats I've checked out a center cockpit Tayana 42. It's a nice boat, but at 6'3" I can't see getting brained by the boom or living with a bimini I can't stand up under.

What effect would raising the boom about one foot have on sailing characteristics of a cutter-rigged boat? How involved would it be to change over if it is reasonable?

Thanks for your input!
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 15:50   #2

It's probably going to be negligible, if you dont have much roach right now, you might get the loss and more back with a sail with more roach. Or one of those new mains with the head that doesnt go to a point.... You center of effort is going to move up slightly, but I doubt if that is a tender boat... another option might be to just shorten the leech (dont know your boat layout) enough to raise it up.... leaving the boom attachment at the mast where it is...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 02:15   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
The loss of sailing characteristics (most likely slight) will pale into insignificance compared to getting wacked on the head.

As Cheechako states, you might get away with justing raising the boom end (by getting main recut) otherwise check out what is involved in moving the gooseneck.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 02:50   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
The trouble with just raising the leech and having the bottom re-cut, is that when you reef, the boom will be back at danger height. You would need to change all the reef points as well to the same angle.
Old 31-07-2009, 06:07   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Good point Talbot, I forgot that issue
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 08:22   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Since it's the bottom of the sail you're taking out close to a rectangular section. From the data on SailRite that works out to 4% of the mainsail area. Maybe not catastrophic, but probably a noticeable performance hit. How many feet up is the first reef?

The leech reef cringle has been set higher than the luff on all the boats I've sailed so far. Try putting the reef in, if the boom is higher, and high enough, then you don't have to worry about moving the reef point for that issue, but your first reef is going to be less reduction in sail area than before.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 08:29   #7

Keep in mind that when sailing the boom tends to sit higher than sitting at the dock also.
Old 31-07-2009, 14:23   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I
Good point, but as I am only looking at the boat I can't monkey with the sails too much at this point. It's especially annoying to think of cutting up the sail as it is allegedly a fully battened, relatively new one.

I know the boom will ride up some while under sail, but the just as important consideration at this point is being able to stand up under the bimini at anchor. So nice thought, but it still leaves me hunched over like a monkey with a glass in my hand.

I may be showing my ignorance, but is there some glaring reason why you couldn't shorten the sail at the head and have it altered to be one of the newer style square-top sails? It seems like this (along with raising the boom) would have the least impact on surface area.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 14:52   #9

If it has a full batten main, it might already have a pretyt good roach in the sail, you are probably good to go by shortening the bottome of the main a foot.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
First

some mains do not quite reach the top of the mast, so there may be space there for an additional few inches at the goose neck

second

sqared off mains at the top rely on running backstays , otherwise they are always catching on the backstay when you tack. Even sails with a pronounced roach can have this problem.

third

you could always sleave your mast and add another foot to the bottom, thus removing the need for moving the gooseneck and butchering your sail. You may find then that the foresails have their clew in the wrong place and you cant get the runner far enough aft.

Tags
ais