Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 07:42   #1

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Questions on refitting my newly purchased Mac 25.

Well, finally I have a my first sailboat, and now it is time to do some work on her. She was ready to sail when we picked her up and we took her out to teach ourselves. We didnt do to horribly for first timers but most of all, we enjoyed ourselves.

I brought it home and got to looking around to familiarize myself with the boat and ran up on multiple questions about her.

1) It has a self bailing cockpit with a small hole in the aft of the cockpit floor. I looked at the hose and it is bent so that it bends down below the hole that lets the water out of the side of the hull. (kinda like a J shape). This made me think that stuff may accumulate in that lower spot(sand for ex.) and eventually stop it up. Should I worry about it or is there a better of unclogging it rather than sticking my mouth over the hole and blowing?

2) The keel winch gave us some problems. The handle that mounts to the bolt which turns the gearing in the winch came loose (not completely off). Now, just the handle turns and the bolt stays stationary. What would be a good way to make the handle grip the bolt better?

3) There is a decent amount of water in the storage compartment under the v-berth. (I believe it was already there before we put the boat in the water because we were sailing in calmer waters fairly slow. How could it have gotten there? Through the ring that the hook and cable attaches to when trailering? What would be the easiest way of getting it out through the small openings?

4) I know that the galley "thingy" isnt favored by many, but I am going to make due and get it working properly before I attempt to find something else. But(for those familiar), it is only the box if you will. There is nothing inside of it, (no fresh water tank, and no waste tank) what should I use for my seperate holding tanks? If you will, how should I plumb it up?

5) The boat came with two danforth anchors. Both look to be decent size but one is slightly larger than the other. I plan on using the larger and maybe leaving the smaller at home. I was looking around and I was wondering where the best place to stow the anchor would be? How should I stow it where it will not be bouncing around and creating holes in my boat?!? I like the idea of storing it on the bow but Im not sure how difficult that would be to rig up safely.

6) I was also thinking about replacing the windows. How hard would this be? I have pretty good knowledge of carpentry skills and I have faith in myself to do things correctly. How much would it cost to just by new plastic simular to the stock ones that are glued on? How much are the necer windows? The type that actually mount into the sides and screw in from both sides?

7) The hull for the older boat is a bit faded. Is there any other way to help it shine rather than the painstaking process of waxing and buffing? How much does a full hull paintjob run? How about if I did it myself?

I greatly appreciate any replies!
Thanks!
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Congratulations!

I am not to familiar with Macgregor's, but here are a few things to get you thinking.
It could be a good idea to have two anchors on the boat.
The water in the storage compartment could be rain water leaking from the deck.
Painting a hull is more work than waxing it.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
See the thread on "sexy windows" for lots of info on replacing windows. There are a couple of other threads as well.

I think the Mac used a portapotty instead of a holding tank. In a boat that small, it's proably the easiest option. Having hauled my share of potties to the marina head to dump them, I know this will not be your favorite activity. There are self pumping porta potties that use only slghtly more space than a carry on. They can be pumped just like a holding tank, but of course the capacity is quite small. We had on one a 24' power boat in CA. We would run offshore and use the macerator to pump it but we were doing 15 kts, so getting 3 miles out was not a problem.

Happy new boat. I hope you sail her more than work on her. Right now, I seem only to work on mine.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 14:49   #4

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Thanks!

Morgan:
Hmmm, didnt think it could be rainwater. How could I find this out? This may not be smart, but I am willing to maybe taste the water and see if it is saly since the boat was used in salt water. I donno though. Any other ways of checking this?

Sunspot:
I have read the "sexy window" thread and that may be a little over my head, or maybe I should re-read it a couple of times.
One the holding tank question, I think you may have misunderstood me. I understand the part of the potta potty, I was just wondering about the sink in the galley (if that is the correct term for the "kitchen sink") and getting water to and from it.

Thanks for the replies.
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 16:18   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Parrot,
Congrats on your new boat. Taste test the water. Have a way of rinsing out your mouth if you think it might be nasty water. If it is salt that means that you have a hull leak. If it is fresh then that means you have a port or hatch or lifeline stanchion base or chainplate or u-bolt or maststep or whatever else might not be bedded properly.
Freshwater in the bilge is not good because it will rot the bottom of any plywood bulkheads or cabinetry. You need to get those holes bedded properly. Saltwater on the other hand is an indication that you have a leak in the hull.
You have a swing keel with a winch. If the winch works really hard and not very well then you might think about replacing the whole winch. I think you can buy stainless boat trailer winches for pretty cheap. If the handle turns and the drum doesn't then it is going to need some fixing or replacing.
Your galley sink should have a drain in the bottom of it that drains into a big plastic jug or out through a thruhull. If it has a big plastic jug type drain then just replace the jug and dump it each time it gets full. I don't believe there is any restriction on grey water dumping in bays but it would be good to know your regulations in your area.
Start with your library and look up sailing, boating, boat building, etc.. You'll be able to find a lot of the answers to your questions there.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote