Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-12-2013, 09:10   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Question: Relocation of Main Sheet Traveler

I would like to relocate the main sheet traveler (to a position forward of the hard dodger) on our Endeavour 37 sailboat. It is currently positioned about 12 ft. aft of the mast on a 16 ft. boom. This works fine, but gets in the way of the companionway entrance and does not allow for the installation of an effective connector between the bimini and hard dodger (which we would like to have for protection when it rains).

Here's my proposed plan: Install a new traveler 6 ft. aft of the mast (just forward of the hard dodger). Run a 6-to-1 purchase angled back from the traveler to a position on the boom about 8 to 9 ft. aft of the mast (as far back as I can put it and not interfere with the hard dodger) and also run it back up to the boom 6 ft. aft of the mast (directly above the new traveler). and then forward to a stand-up block at the base of the mast, and then back through a deck organizer, back to a rope clutch, then to a Lewmar 42 ST winch under the dodger. NOTE: This boom is probably 30 years old (original, as far as I know - 1981 sailboat).

I've talked to a rep from Garhauer Marine Hardware to determine all the gear that would be required, and to a local rigging guy (who was unsure whether my old boom would take the strain and whether the mechanical advantage would be enough to allow for proper handling of the sheet in higher winds). I know that many of the newer Beneteaus have similar setups (with the travelers pretty far forward on their booms), but presumably they also analyze the necessary stress factors for their equipment.

My two concerns are:
1.) Will the mechanical advantage be enough to properly control the boom in winds up to 20 to 25 knots? We're coastal cruisers are not going to venture very far away from shore - e.g. Long Island Sound, Block Island, etc. mostly.
2.) Will our old boom hold up under the added strain? (I don't suppose anyone will actually know this for sure without further analysis of the boom itself.)

I would welcome comments from those familiar with this kind of stuff.

(Hopefully the attached picture will adequately show what I'm trying to do.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Traveler Rigging.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	72518  

Old 21-12-2013, 09:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Re: Question: Relocation of Main Sheet Traveler

You are doubling the load on the traveler and sheeting system, and I think you are more than doubling the bending load on the boom--feeling lucky??

Old 21-12-2013, 10:07   #3

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
I have seen this done before on a Cape Dorey. Long story short.....the original main sheet was kept as back up for stronger wind and secured to the side decks. With the canvas setup you are describing...... it should work with the exception of being close hauled.... depending on how wide that bridge is.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:15   #4

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
This is the boat I am referring to.

http://annapolisyachtsales.com/boat-...BoatID=4447466
Old 21-12-2013, 12:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You will be cantilevering a lot of the boom aft of the sheeting point. The load on the traveller will be at a pretty severe angle which I doubt the traveller car is designed for. A 6-1 purchase on the sheet will probably require using the winch a lot which will make controlling the main a slow and laborious task. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

How 'hard' is your hard dodger. If you put a hard vang at the mast to control the position of the boom vertically, the mainsheet would only have to handle the side to side load of the boom. A lot less of a load than pulling the boom down and in with the same tackle. Any chance the dodger is strong enough for that. Whatever you do, a hard vang would allow you to do away with the traveller and just use standup blocks to position the boom.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:39   #6
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question: Relocation of Main Sheet Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You will be cantilevering a lot of the boom aft of the sheeting point. The load on the traveller will be at a pretty severe angle which I doubt the traveller car is designed for. A 6-1 purchase on the sheet will probably require using the winch a lot which will make controlling the main a slow and laborious task. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

How 'hard' is your hard dodger. If you put a hard vang at the mast to control the position of the boom vertically, the mainsheet would only have to handle the side to side load of the boom. A lot less of a load than pulling the boom down and in with the same tackle. Any chance the dodger is strong enough for that. Whatever you do, a hard vang would allow you to do away with the traveller and just use standup blocks to position the boom.
Beat me to it...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 14:01   #7

The sheet loads imposed on your boom should (must) be no more forward than half the boom length to the mast. I changed my end-of-boom sheeting to a traveler I mounted over the hatch garage, and the most aft possible location of the traveler was still a little more than half the boom length forward. I compensated by mounting the blocks on the boom as far aft as possible - angling the sheet parallel to my dodger, which centered the load at 8' on my 16' boom.

I've seen travelers mounted over biminis, but mostly on fiberglass arches for very modern white plastic boats. How strong it needs to be depends on your intended use of the boat.

If you are able, try end-of-boom sheeting - that is the best position of all.
Old 21-12-2013, 23:01   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I don't know what you expect to get out of sailing in terms of performance, but it can be quite easy to unshackle a mainsheet to get it out of the way. A middling alternative is to rig two purchases going to port and starboard aft to make a "V" type mainsheet pairing, but that's a compromise and adds cost and complexity.

Mid-boom sheeting is doable; I have it on my 33 footer, but that's just a short IOR boom. On an 37 footer? Stick with end-boom.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: