Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 14:44   #1

Question for a storage cradle pads over winter

Hello!
I am in the process of getting ready to haul out the boat for winterizing (northern NY state)

The cradle pads are kinda old and I wanted to give them a little freshening , my plan was to reuse the old padding but recover them with an old faux-leather I have laying around.

Idea seemed great until I figured out the material is black, so it will definitely become a hot spot under the sun, even tough temps will be way below zero..

Do you think it would cause issues for the almost 7 months it will be parked there?

Last thing I would want is to have hull issues..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180911_200350.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	177264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180911_200430.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	177265
nathan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 15:24   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Question for a storage cradle pads over winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan007 View Post
Hello!
Do you think it would cause issues for the almost 7 months it will be parked there?.Attachment 177264Attachment 177265
No.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 15:54   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve never seen pad become a “hot spot” on a cradled boat, but you are way down south compared to me (Canada). I guess it would depend on the material. I’ve always used old carpet as covering for my pads.

Be careful that the bolt heads are well set into the wood pads. Otherwise they can indent the hull.
Old 12-09-2018, 16:13   #4

As Orion said no ! The reason as I see it is because the plstic/vinyl you have covering the pads will actually hold more rain and swet,etc., than the plywood pads ! Remember the plywood will absorb most over the moisture, and then it will evaporate through the wood pores! The plastic covers won't allow this !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 05:19   #5

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

most poppet head "padding" I see around here is a cut of carpeting material, attached much less neatly than in your photos.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 05:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Pretty upholstery work, but I would be concerned with longevity, and the chemical interaction of your material with gelcoat. Artificial leather is basically cloth impregnated with a flexible plastic, generally PVC (like plumbing pipes). PVC is UV-sensitive, and your imitation leather for interior use probably has no UV-stabilizers added. I have seen staining on auto paints when various plastic products are set on them over time (PVC, vinyl stickers, polyurethanes, etc.), but I do not know if gelcoat is as susceptible. Before you experiment with the hull of your boat, perhaps you should see if this stuff is stable, and will stain your boat. Otherwise, I would do what everyone around you is doing, use plain wood or cover with indoor-outdoor low-nap carpeting.

Also, these pads do not support much weight, they are only there to stabilize the boat on the keel. The keel should bear the great majority of the weight. Don't make your pads so thick that they begin to carry much weight, or you could indent the hull.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 05:43   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

One of my neighbors used an innovative solution, he screwed two sections of garden hose to the wood pad. That gives a softer buffer to the hull, while allowing access to the hull for painting.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 08:13   #8

Boat: Catalina MK1 36

My cradle came with nice fluffy indoor carpeting on the pads and after about 5 years I needed to replace the carpeting and I found that the carpet had held the moister and the plywood pads underneath had rotted out.
I replaced indoor carpet with outdoor carpet (plastic) and have had no problems since. (15 years)
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 09:05   #9

Thanks for your replies!
I did not think about material interaction, I must admit. It does hold below the water line on the antifouling.

The way is is wrapped limits water intrusion, but if there is condensation there will be no escape either.. D'oh!

The bolts head are recessed and I have a layer of padding material above them, there should be no issues with it
Old 13-09-2018, 09:38   #10

If the pads are moving in relation to the hull you have a big problem, so make sure they can't.

If they are not moving against the hull, then why even bother with padding? Every yard I have ever been in uses plain plywood pads. If pads are put against a freshly painted surface, they put a piece of paper between the plywood and the hull to keep the not yet fully dry paint from sticking to the pad.

I have never seen a scratch on my boat from properly set plywood pads. I would be far more worried about scratches from dirt and grit trapped in a carpet cover than from clean plywood.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:13   #11

The pads do not move once the boat is set , they were already padded , but not fully covered.
There are 4 bolt heads per pad which are kinda flush with the surface, this why I want to keep them padded, in case the wood compresses over time and cause the bolts heads to contact the hull
Old 14-09-2018, 09:18   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

It’s common for older pads to deteriorate, creating a rough surface, and start showing their bolt heads. It’s true the pads don’t (or shouldn’t) move much once the boat is set, but the setting process can sometimes produce friction. And protruding fastener heads can be a problem.

This is why it’s common to see older pads covered in some sort of cushiony cloth. The most common thing I’ve seen is old rug.
Old 18-09-2018, 05:05   #13

Boat: Custom,Sloop,38' GRACE II

There are some very good responses here! However, Carpet over plywoodm or for that matter, over any material will hold moisture and dirt longer than just the plywood alone. Both moisture and dirt can and will, over time, affect the gel coat/fiberglass ... OSMOSIS!
I have used 3/4" plywood EPOXY COVERED with great success. Epoxy will over time degrade, but you can get several good years from it. i presently use 3/4" TREX (composite decking) and find that it is excellent. a) it doesn't hold water or dirt and b) it is somewhat flexible so that there are no rigid corners or surfaces.

Very important to let the full weight of the boat to sit on the keel, not the pads!
SteveofGRACEII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 03:50   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So 100% of the weight is borne by the keel's bottom edge?

And these pads just exert lateral contact to keep the hull from falling over?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 05:13   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
So 100% of the weight is borne by the keel's bottom edge?

And these pads just exert lateral contact to keep the hull from falling over?
I don't know if it is 100% (never measured it), but it's certainly well above 90%. The pads are adjusted to just touch, so you can't push a piece of paper between pad and boat, for example. BTW: As an aid for your dock workers, you may want to add a center stripe to where your keel rests at the bottom. They try to hit the middle so that it's all even, and having a stripe painted helps when they're doing it fast in Fall.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cradle, storage