Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 10:23   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Question about chipped gel coat (top sides) that reveals fibreglass

Our 30 year old boat (Moody 376) is in good nick for a boat its age. But some of the gelcoat around the cockpit is looking a bit tired - crazing and fading. Not a big deal.

However, I recently discovered a few chips/cracks that seemed more than just crazing. I (stupidly) repaired them with gelcoat filler before taking a photo so I’ll have to try describing here:

They are not stress cracks, but more like impact cracks. Roughly circular in shape. Some to the point where the gelcoat piece has fallen out and revealed the fibreglass behind.

The (I think) strange thing is that there appears to be a 1-2mm gap between the gelcoat and the fibreglass.

Is this normal? If not, is it bad in the sense that the underlying fibreglass could get exposed to rain/seawater, which could potentially deep down further between gelcoat and fibreglass?

Thanks
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 13:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Question about chipped gel coat (top sides) that reveals fibreglass

in the lay up process the mold is sprayed with catalyzed GelCoat then the fiberglass is layed in. There can be small voids where the glass doesn't adhere to the GelCoat especially in the area of sharpish bends. Annoying when contact with a hard object like a winch handle breaks the gel coat exposing the void. Fill the puka with thickened resin and GelCoat over if you can't live with it as is.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 22:01   #3

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Question about chipped gel coat (top sides) that reveals fibreglass

Thanks for the info. I can live with it, but more concerned about any longer term damage it might do to the underlying fibreglass if not properly fixed?
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote