Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 02:52   #16

Re: Quantity anti-foul paint for 36' mono?

Problem with bottom paint is that it builds up and applying multiple coats is not always better anti fouling! Most paints are not perfectly effective and in some waters hardly at all! Ablative paints need boats with frequent fast moving bottoms to work. Once they get slime or marine growth they don't ablate!

One strategy to deal with this is to use a single coat of hard paint and pay a diver to scrub the bottom frequently. You might even get away with not having to paint every year. Haul, wash and block and prep are expensive as well.

Is the average cost of a haul and 2 coats of paint is $1,000+ done by a yard... and now in NYS you most yard insist they do the bottom (enviro laws). If you do one hault out, every years and spend the rest on a diver you will have a faster bottom, less enviro impact more time in the water and save money or spend no more.

Left over paint is pretty much useless after a year anyway.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:09   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
One strategy to deal with this is to use a single coat of hard paint and pay a diver to scrub the bottom frequently. You might even get away with not having to paint every year.

Is the average cost of a haul and 2 coats of paint is $1,000+ done by a yard... and now in NYS you most yard insist they do the bottom (enviro laws). If you do one hault out, every years and spend the rest on a diver you will have a faster bottom, less enviro impact more time in the water and save money or spend no more.
I know in the Northeast, hauling for winter is SOP, so maybe an annual bottom job is something you expect and for which you plan. But here on the West Coast, we typically go two or three years between haulouts. We can do that because we will normally apply two coats of anti fouling paint, which is the manufacturer's recommendation as well. A single coat of paint (be it hard or ablative) will not provide adequate anti fouling protection for three years. So do the math; a thirty five foot boat hauling every three years for two coats of paint (at $2500 a pop) will run you about $7500 over the course of ten years. Applying a single coat every year or so (at $1700) will run you more than $10,000 over the same time span.

Then there is the environmental impact of frequent painting. When anti fouling paint is new and first splashed, the biocide leach rate "spikes" for about three months. If you paint every year, you are committing the spiked biocide leach rate to the water anually. If you paint only every two (or with proper care) every three years, that increased leach rate occurs less frequently.

And here on the West Coast (at least in California), in-water hull cleaning is a regular and necessary part of boat maintenance. Here, bottom paint only retards what is otherwise a pretty aggressive fouling growth progression. It is not a matter of, "well, since I have anti fouling paint, hull cleaning is not necessary." And don't even consider not painting at all. No rational hull cleaning regimen can keep an unpainted hull clean.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I know in the Northeast, hauling for winter is SOP, so maybe an annual bottom job is something you expect and for which you plan. But here on the West Coast, we typically go two or three years between haulouts. We can do that because we will normally apply two coats of anti fouling paint, which is the manufacturer's recommendation as well. A single coat of paint (be it hard or ablative) will not provide adequate anti fouling protection for three years. So do the math; a thirty five foot boat hauling every three years for two coats of paint (at $2500 a pop) will run you about $7500 over the course of ten years. Applying a single coat every year or so (at $1700) will run you more than $10,000 over the same time span.

Then there is the environmental impact of frequent painting. When anti fouling paint is new and first splashed, the biocide leach rate "spikes" for about three months. If you paint every year, you are committing the spiked biocide leach rate to the water anually. If you paint only every two (or with proper care) every three years, that increased leach rate occurs less frequently.

And here on the West Coast (at least in California), in-water hull cleaning is a regular and necessary part of boat maintenance. Here, bottom paint only retards what is otherwise a pretty aggressive fouling growth progression. It is not a matter of, "well, since I have anti fouling paint, hull cleaning is not necessary." And don't even consider not painting at all. No rational hull cleaning regimen can keep an unpainted hull clean.
You cannot sail on a bottom which has not be "serviced" in 2 or 3 years. No bottom paint used in LIS will last one season. Most people who are concerned need to have the bottom scrubbed by a diver. Add that into the annual cost.

I find that bottom paints are just not very effective... not matter what they are in LIS. ALL the racers scrub constantly... and many smaller power boats are out on inflated lifts in their slips.

My speed log is a mini shrimp farm...after a few weeks. Trinidad.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:42   #19

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
With Micron 66?

Obviously not all paints have the same coverage. With Hydrocoat you could easily do two coats in one gallon. But it's awful paint.
Good point! It was Pettit Horizon

Chris - SailMentor.com
Old 12-10-2015, 10:52   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
No bottom paint used in LIS will last one season.
That is almost certainly untrue.

Quote:
Most people who are concerned need to have the bottom scrubbed by a diver. Add that into the annual cost.
As I said in my previous post, in-water hull cleaning is a necessary part of proper boat maintenence. Going without is really not an option. Maybe you didn't read it thoroughly or understand that I am a professional hull cleaner.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:03   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quantity anti-foul paint for 36' mono?

Quote:
You cannot sail on a bottom which has not be "serviced" in 2 or 3 years.
This is a blanket statement that cannot be true for all locales.

In the waters of the Texas gulf coast we go 4+- years between haul outs. 99% of our fouling is slime with a smattering of barnacles thrown in. My "regular" servicing is essentially a snorkel of the hull in August to pop off a barnacle or two and change the shaft zinc.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:43   #22

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42

Has anyone used the copper coat in Florida?
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 15:00   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Hi all,
I've got a 36' mono that I'd like to slap a couple of coats of anti-foul paint on. This is a first for me - I've never had to do this. The bottom is in great shape (5 coats interprotech and 3 coats Micron 66 two summers ago), but it probably wouldn't hurt to do a couple fresh coats while she's on the hard.

I got a quote from the yard and they anticipate 4 gallons of Micron 66 to do the 2 coats plus $11/foot for labor. Total - ~$1820

That seems really high. The labor isn't that bad, but the amount of paint is way more than I would have expected. Thoughts?
Try Berekely or Napa.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint